New at http://www.eveningoflight.nl:
We wish you all a merry summer to come! Here's an overview of all the additions
from May and April:
The Eclipse Review for May was Forseti's Erde
, the second full-length so far by this extraordinary group. It's full of romantic and high-quality german neofolk, with guest appearances by people like B'eirth
and Kim Larsen.
This month's Eclipse is The Devil in the Grain
by the English duo Twelve Thousand Days. It's a sadly unnoticed album that we'd like to give some more credit, because we
consider it to be a classic of modern and dark folk.
As was the custom these past few months, we've also presented two new interviews. Both with Finnish artists, the first was with Juha Kettunen, the man behind dark ambient project Somnivore
who tells us about the inspirations for his music and the power of dreams.
In May, we conducted a live interview with Mikko Pöyhönen of Tuhat kuolemaa sekunnissa
, a band that plays earthy and straightforward folk. He told us about the origin of the band, his views on music, and some typically Finnish anecdotes.
Also new is the Folklore section on our forum, where you can discuss (or share!) all sorts of info about folk tales, folk song, folk art, etc. You can find it here:http://eveningoflight.proboards83.com/index.cgi?board=engfolk
And, as expected, an overview of the reviews from these months:
=May 07=Agitated Radio Pilot
- The Ghost of Medb / The Nether Dawn
- Under Your Night (lo-fi experiments from both, on classy lathe-cut LP)Birch Book
- November 19th, 2006 (DVD) (Live registration of B'Eirth's new folk project, with bonus material)Bloody Woods
- Apocalypse of the Sound (Chinese neofolk, both upbeat and melancholic)Darkwood
- The Final Hour (Dark German neofolk - live)Ginnungagap
- Remeindre (Acoustic experiments and drones - project of Stephen O'Malley)Jahrtal
- Zwei Lieder (Calm Austrian neofolk)Machinefabriek
- Stofstuk (Experimental sound-exploration from the Netherlands)Psychic Space Invasion
- Pendulum (Pulsating and hypnotic drones by Welsh Ian Holloway)Vánargandr
- Praeparet Bellum (Dark drones from New-Zealand)V.O.S.
- Veil of Secrecy (Droning dark ambient from the US)Xenis Emputae Travelling Band
- Under a Soular Moon (Spacy ambient - the second XETB album)
=April 07=Beneath the Lake
- Silent Uprising (Ambient, drone and melody - at the border of culture and nature)Cloud Temple
- Speaketh in the Tongue of the Forest (Bluesy psych-folk - 2nd album)
Forseti - Jenzig
(First release by this excellent German neofolk project)Andrew King
- The Harbinger of the Decaying Mind (Traditionals brought with conviction and an industrial edge)
Life Toward Twilight - I Swear By All The Flowers
(Calmer, more introspective ambient and sound-exploration by this US project)Marja Mattlar
- Polku (Finnish melancholic singer/songwriter teams up with Tenhi members - excellent!)
Marissa Nadler - The Saga of Mayflower May
(2nd album from this American lady of original murder ballads and gothic folk)Novemthree
- fog & leaves (One of the first demos, calm, foresty guitar folk):Of the Wand & the Moon:
- Midnight Will (remastered EP from the Danish neofolk project)
:Of The Wand & The Moon: - Nighttime Nightrhymes (first full-length CD)Veinke
- Collection III. The Black Summer (Dark ritual ambient and noise from the US)
V.A. - Where are you Europe?
(Compilation of martial industrial and ambient - Europa themed)
Oscar & Dianeinfo@eveningoflight.nlhttp://www.eveningoflight.nl