• Raining Music

    4 May 2012, 20:59

    Walking in the rain felt good this morning. I got soaked but I had a cleansing feeling inside and out. My face dripped with the raindrops as they streaked down my face. The mountains were hidden behind a floating mist that moved ghostly among the aura of new fluorescent leaves of many colors. The rain smells of earth’s newness of growth all around me as the drops tap me with memories of camping; the sounds of drops striking the drenched tent mingle in my pleasant thoughts.

    I watch as a sudden stream of water comes toward me with a foam head from collecting salty sand on the roadside leading the way. It slithers on with stretched out fingers finding its path rolling over and around all obstacles to find its unknowing destination; as we all do in life. It is witty how nature mimics our lives with its own. And we go on.

    I go on to hear the geese seemingly loving the day as they fly over head and land close by on the new pond created this year by the beaver in the field that is now a bit smaller. It holds much new life there now. At night I hear a gurgling hum as the peepers and frogs enlighten me with their tales. I stand quite and listen to its loud volume and feel it almost vibrate. An owl almost always hoots in as a most welcome sound and I sometimes call back when I have the time to stand in the darkness alone in the night. The Barred Owl and I can keep it going as the pond sounds seem to simmer down as I seem to be part of the nature around me.

    Last night the tree line was silhouetted against the indigo blue of the starless sky and gave me an eerie feel as I pushed on in the darkness in front of me. I saw many shapes shifting into familiar images among the branches. A large bird was perched with its head tilled to see me, but as I watched it, it disappeared as my footsteps took me further into the misty night. I see a bear in a dark massed stump and then movement as my eyes see it coming toward me. A wet nose greets me and we walk together on the wet earth leaving the memory of us behind. My dog Sister shakes off some droplets and we enter our little stone house and let our dreams take us everywhere.

  • Just Sewing and a Scratching

    12 Abr 2012, 14:25

    My life has turned to being busy living it. It has been hectic with all that has turned up. Easter with my Mom was good family time. Lizzy and I traveled the little over an hour distance to meet my son David there. It is always such a good feeling to see Lizzy and David together, they are so connected. I stand back and watch love pour from them as their smiling faces beam. Lizzy sticks by his side when ever they are together.

    We discussed David’s graduation, which will be coming up in May; he will be rewarded with his Masters Degree this time. I remember being there when he graduated from Saint Michael’s the first time; Lizzy was nestled inside me just waiting to show herself to the world. She was born early the following month, so I’d say she was also there. I sat watching and feeling very proud. My Mom will also be joining us again and we will also celebrate Mother’s Day in Vermont too.

    My sister Patty arrived on Easter with Ken and we all shared food and stories with each other. Patty brought a cake to try out on us to give her an opinion on it; she wants to make it for our nieces baby shower coming at the end of the month. The cake was delicious, moist and sweet with a whipped strawberry marshmallow filling and covered with a chocolate frosting. This one had a pair of chocolate chicks hatching on a nest of coconut filled with many colors of jelly eggs. She has plans of using this cake made in tiers and will center some eatable building blocks on top for the shower. I am sure it will taste good as well as look great; I know she will have fun with it.

    I have a job to do also. I have been collecting flannel and drawing pictures for quilt blocks. I am making a quilt with my brother in mind, he being the baby’s grandfather. We have always called him Crockett growing up and so the theme for his grandson’s quilt is Davy Crockett. I will continue to be busy cutting and sewing until I have accomplished my vision. So I am not spending so much time visiting with my computer.

    Upon arriving back home after our Easter weekend at Mom’s and helping out with yard work, Lizzy and I were exhausted, so showers and bed were looking good. As I slept, I was awakened to hear moans and sobs and sprang up to check on Lizzy. I found her standing in the bathroom bent over next to the toilet; her hand resting on top of the lid to support her as she threw up on the floor. I held her hand, lifted the lid and guided her to the opening. What a mess, but I won’t get into that. We were up all night, back and forth to the bathroom. She had a fever and she missed school. Of all days to miss school. She begged and pleated to let her go. It was audition day for “Oliver”; she was looking forward to this day when the stage company comes and transforms all the kids that want to participate into an amazing play. She was hoping for a main character or even the lead as she toyed with the idea ever since last years play. She was feeling better around noon and auditions were at 1:00 and she continued to plead. I called the school and told the nurse my dilemma. She told me school policy was no admittance until 24 hours after a fever and she even got another option, but the answer was still no. I saw the tears welling up and my heart sank. She went to her room. I peeked in and told her she may still get to be part of it if she shows interest tomorrow. It didn’t help; she said she did not want to just make sound effects. I also noticed as I held her hand in the bathroom a mark on her arm.

    As I tried to get food and liquid into her little growing body I noticed more marks becoming visible on her face. I asked about her arm and she showed me. She had been scratching….alot! The red scratch marks made her skin rise up and a rash was prominent. Poison Ivy. I began to load her up with hydrocortisone cream as I felt bad for her, I get poison ivy very bad and hoped she wouldn’t take after me. As I watched the rash show itself in more spots every time I looked at her I was sorry that she does carry this trait of mine. I too started getting marks on my face.

    Wednesday morning came and Lizzy was glued to her bed not showing any signs of waking. As I sat talking to her I saw her eyes begin to open and her left was very swollen. I got a cool wet cloth and placed it on her face and she welcomed the cool feeling. I helped her to the shower and washed her hair to make sure all the oils were gone, just to make to get anything she may have missed in washing herself. I made her lather up every part of her against her will of course since she told me she did it already. It can’t hurt to be extra clean. I patted her down and applied more ointment and called the Doctor, since the rash had spread to her eyelid and completely around her eye.

    The Doctor told me to keep doing what I was doing and to get a prescription cream to help speed up the process. The rash seems to be a little calmer, but she hates that she feels like everyone is staring at her. It is just the poison ivy they look at, because it is different than what they usually see and it will go away. She has written a couple little stories about being sick and about having poison ivy and they both amazed me. She is a very perceptive nine year old, and she is mine. We will both try to keep each other from scratching until we are rid of this. To think, it IS just the beginning of the season!

    Poison Ivy….aaauuugggggggghhhhhhhh
  • An amazing March

    23 Mar 2012, 15:35

    We have been having some fantastic weather! I see red buds swollen on the tops of trees holding the sound of singing from the pleased birds singing out with joy in the warm sunshine. It feels so good to be out and feel the sun warm skin that has been covered up all winter. People all around comment on how it’s about time we got this weather, but it is really very early for us and I can’t help to think we may still get cold temperatures again.

    It is not uncommon to have storms right into April with plow-able depths. I fear for the buds that have come so soon as they may freeze and farmers could be full of broken hopes. I will pray for their livelihood to not be a misfortune.

    Ice out on the lake was the 21st another early milestone. We have never had temps so high this early in the year and I feel such a change in this world, like our axis has been dislodged with a shift in the calendar as well. I will take it in stride but can’t help to think of the down side and when it will show itself. Mother Nature holds the answers and will keep us wondering……

    I will not stress on this and do my best to enjoy what is here and continue to live my life one day after the next as they arrive and acclimate to what comes next. I am flexible and will endure my future as it approaches, for life is full of constant learning and we will survive as long as our inheritance exists. In this I welcome this world around me and will smell all the scents that fill my being in this life and embrace to feel it all within me, lovingly and do my best to share what I obtain out of it with those around me.

    As I walk in the morning I hear so many sounds encircling me, I stop and close my eyes, but cannot distinguish them all, but I hear a symphony of many birds and look to see a bright red breast above me singing so joyfully. I also hear a rooster crow in the near by farm around the corner. It all harmonizes so well with the water flowing as it makes foam that spins in a small pool beneath the rocks and dances to nature’s music. The soft earth beneath me also moves as I walk; the frost line has loosened from its crusty nap and must release trapped air. Sink holes have appeared in the driveway and our children let the mud ooze between their toes as they laugh at the jell-o feel of the wet cold dirt. Glorious mud, they love it so!

    The white Snow Drops have bloomed in clusters all over the grass that has just begun to wake as it starts to go from brown to green. Purple crocuses with bright yellow centers reach for the sun and are vibrant as they hold the warm light. Life is bursting from the ground, yet the bugs are minimal; and I am not complaining of that. I am sure they will be abundant too soon for all to bear.

    I walk the dirt road with my pruning sheers in hand to a tree that has broken during a winter storm. The tree lies by the stream and my dog enjoys the cold water as she stands there waiting for me to throw her something to retrieve. Her eyes stay waiting as I put my sheers to work. The tree holds many full branches of pods that have soft light gray and white fur balls peaking out; these Pussy willows will stay with me awhile. I throw a few pebbles into the stream and Sister follows them as her nose dips into the stream and out again waiting again for another. I start walking back and she follows, but stops to shake off the water and droplets shine in an iridescent aura around her black coat. I will enjoy the beauty of these Pussy willows in a large clay vase on my living room floor as they will bring the Spring inside as well as out.

    The nights have also been full of warmth and sounds as well as the jewel filled sky. I walk before bed with my eyes peering upward to take in all the sparkle that shines down from the dark navy sky. The constellations are all busy as Orion holds fast his sword and bears and horses roam about and others are liquid as Pisces and Capricorn dip into the deep blue heavens. I have such an eyeful in this dark valley to gaze upon and have a need to share in the only way I can. I have not the knowledge of stars and space, just what I see and feel.

    Another day is done and I lay in my bed with my pillow at the foot so as to see the night sky and feel the cool air come in to breath. I listen to the sound of the stream rushing by and imagine the reflection of stars it must hold. The lullaby continues with the sound of peepers and they lull me as I gently drift off …..

    Fragrance Of Nature

    Whispering Earth

    Symphony Of The Forest

    Straight Away To Orion
  • Response from Senator on SOPA & PIPA

    13 Feb 2012, 18:18

    February 13, 2012

    Dear Linda,

    Thank you for contacting my office about intellectual property rights and the Internet.

    Over recent weeks, I have heard from thousands of New Hampshire citizens and businesses concerned about the impact of federal legislation on this issue. I appreciate the feedback I have received on the Senate bill, the Protecting Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act (PROTECT IP ), and the House bill, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). As we know so well in New Hampshire, democracy always works best when citizens are engaged.

    The illegal online distribution of copyright-protected material such as music, movies, books and television shows has increased dramatically in the past decade. While we already have effective laws to address this behavior within the United States, we are not equipped to prevent infractions by Internet users in other countries. This is an expensive problem : according to the U.S. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection, the manufacture and distribution of counterfeit and pirated goods has already cost our country more than 750,000 jobs.

    I strongly believe that we must stop Internet transgressions from abroad against American property rights but agree that future efforts need to include better cooperation among content providers, copyright and trademark holders and domestic Internet technology services. As you may know, the PROTECT IP Act has been withdrawn from consideration on the Senate floor, an action which I supported. Moving forward, we must develop a solution that builds consensus and addresses the issues raised by experts and the public. We must safeguard free speech, legitimate business activities and the strength of American innovation.

    Maintaining open communication with the people of New Hampshire is very important to me, and I will continue working to ensure that your concerns are represented in Washington. Thank you again for your critical outreach , and please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future questions or concerns.


    Jeanne Shaheen
    United States Senator
  • Johnny A. One Longfellow Square Portland Maine 2-4-2012

    7 Feb 2012, 15:40

    I woke up in dull light and tried to focus my eyes through the window on the opposite side of the room. I gazed a second as the weather moved in my line of vision and out loud I said “Oh crap, it’s snowing”!

    Any other morning I would be more then happy to see the snow; I would love more snow, just not ‘today’. I am looking forward to see my friend Bonnie for her Birthday and going into Portland to have Thai food and to see Johnny A.

    It did look nice to see a new coating of white over the ice, sand and dirt, though we must be very careful walking on that, I thought as I peered out and then proceeded into the shower. As the soapy scents of lemon verbena woke up my senses, I walked back to my room rubbing a towel on my head and looked to a brighter light spilling on to the floor. Beams of light from the rising sun were sifting through the trees that lined the field as well as mark the steeper grade that encircles this valley. I was looking out my window again and getting mesmerized in the sparkle the flakes produced as they gently danced through the rays of sunlight. They were like in a dream moving in slow motion giving brilliant radiance as they past through the light. I had to stand and admire the beauty before me; for it certainly would not last.

    I stepped out with the dog and the snow was now barely falling and the valley was now full of warm sunshine. I admired the shiny downy crystals blanketing all the hard ice beneath. My dog, Sister slipped over boulders and snow banks as she made her way into the woods. The sun was in my face sharing its warmth as I head back to get ready for my violin lesson. The sound of the kettle was heard before the door opened and the warmth of home greeted me as I entered. Lizzy was ready, which was a welcomed surprise. She cleaned off the car and got it started as I made my choffee which is a delicious hot drink I concoct each morning adding hot chocolate and pumpkin pie spice to my coffee.

    With lesson behind me and new techniques to practice in my head I put it away and packed a bag with my ticket voucher, a Johnny A. cd and some gifts for Bonnie. I was on my way to Maine, as I listened to Keb Mo playing and singing to me from my player as I was enjoying the drive on such a gorgeous day. Memories pass through me as I go by many familiar spots thinking of driving this road to go to work when I lived in Maine. As I travel through Cornish I think of all the times I had walked here and frequented the shops. There are some of the best antiques in this little town and maybe tomorrow I will stop.

    I arrived at Bonnie’s with welcoming hugs and excitement of our time we get together. We get updated on each others what’s been going on and share sentiments around her kitchen table with munchies and a cool drink. Time passes as we converse and we get ready to go about our intentions for the evening. It’s not a long drive and we got lucky finding a free place to park right between the Thai restaurant and the music venue. We bundle up and walk a few blocks among the other city dwellers, past the man yelling his sermon to anyone needing to be saved; I just smiled with my own confidence to him, for I know there is a superior light upon us and I felt warm.

    The Thai food was yet again delicious and I tried to eat every bite with my chop sticks, but my stomach just could not fit it all. My mouth was bursting with wonderful flavors of lovely wilted bright green basil and pad prik sauce that coated my Fancy Chicken and vegetables. Bonnie’s Drunken Chicken left an aura of heat that was welcome in my mouth. I love trying different dishes but am still partial to the green curry and the sweet hot of the mango curry. But I am happy with a full belly of delicious decadence. Bonnie even asked for another order to go.

    We walked back the way we came and dropped off our food in the car. Just another couple blocks to Longfellow Square. It was all lit up with red lights through the trees that surrounded Henry Wadsworth for which the square was named. The venue was on the corner and seemed to be full of concert goers. We entered and were asked if we were picking up tickets, so we got right up to the counter and got our hands stamped. We followed our way to the door leading to the stage. As I walked in and down a couple stairs, I was amazed to see such a small room. The chairs were lined up so close to the stage you can rest your feet on it. We chose two seats on the aisle in the second row and could see everything. I thought that when I saw him at the Blue Ocean that we were close in a small club, but this could be his living room. I sat happily with a smile and was comfortable. All us fans were actually fanned out around the stage in a wedge shape with the point hidden behind a white screen that hung behind the instruments that were ready and waiting. The crowd grew as we sat there and it got close, but we still could see perfectly.

    The lights dimmed and the screen began to show us a variety of performers that are coming here with dates and video clips. It is very affordable and it’s non-profit. They have a bar in the foyer and also sell coffee and baked goods. They have volunteers working here to help keep costs down and many patrons are taking advantage of going to the bar themselves as I see many mixed drinks and bottles in hand.

    My patients have triumphed and the door at the side opens, and in comes the band as the crowd applauses their entrance. Johnny came onto the stage following his drummer and bass player and as he spoke to his audience, he stood tall with his Malden image to make up for his stature. He went from chewing his gum, to putting on a face of concentration as you melt into those velvety tones caressing your soul. We transcend into a groove state as he played the smooth tones on his Gibson. As he meticulously fingered the strings, the guitar was his extension to his soul and it sang out beautifully through every stroke and strum and the vibrato pulsated into his admirers. I felt the pulsation travel from Johnny’s guitar, it came up from the floor and took hold of me as it climbed and it entered me, for I could not be still. My body moved in time as I kept the beat flowing. He played some recognizable melodies from my collection and some that should be. He spoke of concert going at a young age and how privileged to see artists that we can never see again. Jimi Hendrix was a huge influence and he played his version of ‘The Wind Cries Mary’ electrifying! The Beatles also left a mark on Johnny A. as he played ‘The Night Before’ his way, and it was a very good way. So commonly known by most but with a Johnny A. style all his own.

    He played on to awe us as he spoke through the three guitars he had with him. I especially enjoyed his version of ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow’ and like thinking he was playing it for me to add to my collection of this piece done by numerous musicians. ‘O yeah’ was played for us to sway in our seats too and my toes were tappin in rhythm with the rest of me. I looked and saw Bonnie swayin and wearing a smile on her face too.

    ‘Two-Wheel Horse’ began and I sat chair dancing, I was just loving it. Johnny kept making comments through the show about not being able to have an alcoholic beverage on stage. Are the people in the front row allowed to have their drinks sitting on the edge of the stage? They quickly disappeared. Why is there another stool on stage? he asked the guy up in the sound room. While the stool was moved to the floor off to one side, it gave a better view to the woman who sat in front of us. People shouted out answers and comments all evening and cheered on the band. He went on to play a Zeppelin medley that everyone seemed to love. The drummer (Ron Stewart) and the bass player (Jesse Bastos) both where highlighted and showed us some fantastic talents. The room was buzzing all night with sounds of affection for the pleasure and joy being received. He again mentioned not being able to have a drink on stage, so I took this as a hint for someone to get him one and I did. I came back from the foyer and handed Bonnie her coffee and as he looked at me walking toward that stool no longer on the stage, I held up a Grey Goose with soda and lime and then set it on the stool. I had a nice cold water. More remarks from the crowd made sure Johnny knew he had a drink.

    In agreement with the crowd, Johnny started a sing-a-long. Every time the song reached its hook, Brown Sugar was sung out load by the participating crowd. I saw Johnny’s lips moving, but heard only the sound of his guitar; the crowd was quiet until that hook rounded again. I would say everyone had a good time as time flew by. I was surprised when he didn’t come out for an encore as the house lights came on. We sat and waited for him to come to greet the stragglers wanting pictures and autographs. I was waiting to purchase his DVD/CD ‘One November Night’ which he did sign for me. Bonnie and I zipped up and faced the cold walk to the car, it wasn’t too bad, the air felt good to me and I unzipped a little. As we opened the car door the aroma of Thai food escaped into the night and into my nostrils, and I enjoyed it again. We listened to the CD as we drove back to Bonnie’s and she laughed when I made the car shake while I sat dancing again in my seat, I knew that would get her attention and we both chuckled.
    We stayed up chatting more until I started fading and off to bed I went to have good dreams and restful sleep.

    3 Feb 2012, 15:11

  • Guitar Links

    2 Feb 2012, 0:41

  • A Part Of The Family

    1 Feb 2012, 16:26

    Good Morning and don’t forget to see the beauty around you and appreciate what is bestowed for your eyes. Winter sports day has been cancelled again because of weather being too warm and the expecting rain mix with ice. I did not feel the rain as I stepped out the door and nothing more had accumulated on my car. This weather is always changing its mind, so always be prepared for anything.

    The branches seem to be reaching out as they are still prominent with yesterday’s fluffy snow. The twists and turns of each twig catch your eye as they hold the bold white highlights. The sky is still wearing a gray flannel and looks soft enough to cuddle in.

    I open the window for my dog and she inhales the fresh air as her ears flutter and she is happy. She anticipates getting out just before we get to work at her desired spot where she bolts out of the car almost opening the door herself. She runs like the wind and leaps over the snow bank and she springs like a deer through the snow crusted woods. By the time I park the car and unlock the door on the shop, she is there again breathing heavily and smiling. I get the shovel to clear my path to the door again and Sister waits for the shovelfuls to be tossed in her direction. She leaps as it comes at her covering her in white and leaving those brown eyes bright and clear looking for another full shovel. She loves the snow so much and I wonder how she got so acclimated to it being from Alabama. No matter how cold it gets, she loves being out.

    Sister was found at The NH Humane Society and we fell in love with her just as she did with us. They told us she would take a lot of time to get close to her and that she was shy; we didn’t see that at all. As soon as Lizzy got near her Sister was licking her and her little nub of a tail just wagged so hard and fast there was no separating the two of them. We walked Sister to a play area outside and they played with a ball as I got the paperwork filled out. Lizzy knew this dog was ours even before we got there. I put the Humane Societies site on and she looked through all the sad little faces until she saw Sister, then she yelled for me telling me she had found our dog.

    Our last dog had to be put down at a very young age because he suffered from Systemic Lupus. Lizzy had named him Brother Bear the day we brought him home from a place in Maine when he was just eight weeks. He was a rolly polly little black ball resembling a black cub. He was a great dog, a black German shepherd with large ears like radar once he grew into his huge paws. We went through a lot with him once we discovered his illness, always with hope. One day he took a turn for the worst as we were trying to wean him off his meds that were messing up his brain. He had a bad seizure that took away everything he knew and he looked at me as if he was in the wild, showing his big teeth as he growled not really knowing what was happening. I was scared at that moment of what he was going to do and then scared for Lizzy if it happened again when she was near. I could not trust her to do her usual play or lay on him as she liked to us him as a pillow on the floor. I had to make a decision which was hard to do to a dog we loved, but easy to do as I thought of Lizzy’s safety.

    As I made the call with tears running down my face, our Vet who had done so much for him and for me as he went through books until he pinpointed the problem with me in his office. He assured me that I was doing the right thing, but I did not feel any better. I had a dark cloud hanging over me with a feeling of killing and playing the park of God, which I have No right. He seemed happy and without a care as we walked our last walk and Lizzy and I gave him all the blueberries he wanted. We let him say good bye to his friends and tried to make this last day a good one for him. Brother Bear was beautiful as we both sat on the floor in the Vets office with his big head resting in my lap as I stroked his fur wet with the tears that fell on him through my clouded eyes. He went in peace and in loving arms as his last breath left him and I instantly wanted him back. The Vet let me stay with him until I was ready to leave him. I talked to him and kissed him once more and prayed for forgiveness and told myself he would have suffered more if I did not do this and I hoped for his peace as I said good bye.

    It was hard being without my best friend for a long time and I swore I saw him many times out of the corner of my eye. I felt his spirit was still with us and now believe his spirit lives on through Sister.

    For when Lizzy called me in to see her on the computer screen, she was so excited believing this was meant to be. “Look Ma, her name is Sister, we had Brother so we must have his Sister”! She was all black except for a little white spot on her chest. Lizzy wanted to go right away to get her. Her age was confusing as they had given her age to be six months, but when we arrived and read the papers we saw three different ages. We gave her the birthday to be Aug 21st. That was the day we lost Brother and we decided that his soul entered hers to continue a happy life with us. Lizzy and Sister’s bond was immediate and Sister was such a love. She is now a part of our family and such a joy every day.

    I Truly Love My Dog!

  • Honoring Our Soldiers At Christmas

    23 Dic 2011, 18:54


    The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,
    I gazed round the room and I cherished the sight.
    My wife was asleep, her head on my chest,
    My daughter beside me, angelic in rest.
    Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white,
    Transforming the yard to a winter delight.

    The sparkling lights in the tree I believe,
    Completed the magic that was Christmas Eve.
    My eyelids were heavy, my breathing was deep,
    Secure and surrounded by love I would sleep.
    In perfect contentment, or so it would seem,
    So I slumbered, perhaps I started to dream.

    The sound wasn't loud, and it wasn't too near,
    But I opened my eyes when it tickled my ear..
    Perhaps just a cough, I didn't quite know, Then the
    sure sound of footsteps outside in the snow.
    My soul gave a tremble, I struggled to hear,
    And I crept to the door just to see who was near.

    Standing out in the cold and the dark of the night,
    A lone figure stood, his face weary and tight.
    A soldier, I puzzled, some twenty years old,
    Perhaps a Marine, huddled here in the cold.
    Alone in the dark, he looked up and smiled,
    Standing watch over me, and my wife and my child.

    "What are you doing?" I asked without fear,
    "Come in this moment, it's freezing out here!
    Put down your pack, brush the snow from your sleeve,
    You should be at home on a cold Christmas Eve!"
    For barely a moment I saw his eyes shift,
    Away from the cold and the snow blown in drifts..

    To the window that danced with a warm fire's light
    Then he sighed and he said "Its really all right,
    I'm out here by choice. I'm here every night."
    "It's my duty to stand at the front of the line,
    That separates you from the darkest of times.

    No one had to ask or beg or implore me,
    I'm proud to stand here like my fathers before me.
    My Gramps died at ' Pearl on a day in December,"
    Then he sighed, "That's a Christmas 'Gram always remembers."
    My dad stood his watch in the jungles of ' Nam ',
    And now it is my turn and so, here I am.

    I've not seen my own son in more than a while,
    But my wife sends me pictures, he's sure got her smile..
    Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag,
    The red, white, and blue... an American flag.
    I can live through the cold and the being alone,
    Away from my family, my house and my home.

    I can stand at my post through the rain and the sleet,
    I can sleep in a foxhole with little to eat.
    I can carry the weight of killing another,
    Or lay down my life with my sister and brother..
    Who stand at the front against any and all,
    To ensure for all time that this flag will not fall.."

    " So go back inside," he said, "harbor no fright,
    Your family is waiting and I'll be all right."
    "But isn't there something I can do, at the least,
    "Give you money," I asked, "or prepare you a feast?
    It seems all too little for all that you've done,
    For being away from your wife and your son."

    Then his eye welled a tear that held no regret,
    "Just tell us you love us, and never forget.
    To fight for our rights back at home while we're gone,
    To stand your own watch, no matter how long.
    For when we come home, either standing or dead,
    To know you remember we fought and we bled.
    Is payment enough, and with that we will trust,
    That we mattered to you as you mattered to us."


  • My Musical Skeleton

    6 Dic 2011, 5:30

    I didn’t always live here among the New Hampshire Mountains and this beautiful Valley. I was born in Salem Massachusetts. When I was five my Mom moved me and my siblings to Pennsylvania, it was too bad she fell for a sadistic bastard. I lived in Pittsburgh in a time of riots and I saw more then a child should see. That has made me stronger in some ways and weaker in others. But our family bond was always strong.

    We even used to “Sing-a-Long with Mitch”. Me being the oldest and Mom and my brother and sister all singing together in the living room. Mom was always singing, maybe it was how she kept tough during hard times. We had no idea we were living in hard times, cause Mom always seemed to be happy. Now I know better and give her a lot of credit for how she handled things. But music was always playing or being sung.

    We did find our way back to Mass. to be back with family in 1969. I was listening to Hendrix and made friends with some of the older kids in the neighborhood who were surprised I knew who Hendrix was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZywxsJtkw3A I was interested in the guitar and my Uncle began teaching me on his. I learned to play a song but never kept with it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3kfTq7dnTQ I had no guitar to play when my Uncle was not there. I just listened to my Moms records and my friends had no idea why I liked them.
    Chet Atkins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJ4O4eaeQU
    Roy Orbison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTR2IlAJEyQ&ob=av2n
    and Dave Brubeck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9qgI95n6rM I would put them on my little record player in the room I shared with my mother. I still love them today.

    Credence’s Cosmos Factory was the first album I ever bought. http://www.last.fm/music/Creedence+Clearwater+Revival/Cosmo%27s+Factory/I+Heard+It+Through+The+Grapevine I remember listening to that all the time along with Grand Funk Railroad …. Memories of youth and beginning to party at a very young age. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzA9ii4KWjo
    I was surprised when my Mom bought this one for me......... and I lovd it!
    And it just kept getting better.....
    Th best live show I'd seen at Boston Garden

    And then came Zappa! “Peaches en Regalia” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKlAIhuXRLE
    I loved it! As I listened to more Zappa I was embarrassed by some of his criteria; but I was at a rebellious age and as I listened I heard Frank as a warning telling me what was out in this world. His rude and crude demeanor sold albums and he had many fans. Man is what man is; merely humans. ‘You are what you is’ and in this world you better know what you’re up against. Be responsible for you and careful from those who are not.
    He was a genius, crude and hysterical and he knew music, he lived and breathed it. I enjoyed seeing him many times and I still listen to his music often, the time signatures are intense. It is full bodied and I must move as it flows through me. I thank Frank for being here and making a difference to me. Some think me as strange, but it is me who is satisfied and it is none of my business what other people think of me. I am the only one who walks in my shoes and I am happy with them.

    That is what I had to begin my musical skeleton and develop it into the loving tapestry I grew to enjoy; always adding new stitches along the way to enlarge it so I can get lost as I float on a sea of joy. Music is always with me as I travel life’s journey; old and new memories to remember and collect along the way. The memories are stored and when the time is right due to a song of long ago, the memories just fall out and spill before me. I reminisce as I gather them up and put them away until I hear again the sweet memories I’ve lived. All mine! We each carry our own simple pleasures, so just smile as you too remember yours.