My personal list of the best singles of 2012.
1. Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know
No matter how many times I heard this song over the course of the year, I still love it. That's a really unusual quality in a song.
2. Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble
Taylor Swift discovers dubstep. I've always been a fan of hers, but this song is perfect chaos.
3. Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
THE pop song of the year.
4. First Aid Kit - Emmylou
My best discovery this year.
5. Florence + the Machine - Shake It Out (acoustic)
I love both versions of the song, but there's something about the acousic version on the Unplugged album that I love just a little bit more.
6. Blur - Under the Westway
This song really grew on me. I'm not normally a huge blur fan, but this won me over.
7. Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch - Sweet Nothing
In my opionion the best song on Calvin Harris' album. Of course that could be because I love everything Florence Welch does.
8. Psy - Gangnam Style (강남스타일)
The big viral hit of the year. I can't hear this song without seeing the video in my head, and that alone puts this at number 8
9. Kathleen Edwards - Change The Sheets
The best thing she's done in years
10. Rebecca Ferguson - Nothings Real But Love
I know this came out earlier in the rest of the world, but it was 2012 here in the US. She has yet to hit it big, but in my opinion this was the best soul song of the year,
11. Alex Clare - Too Close
A great song by a great new artist.
12. Kelly Clarkson - What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)
Kelly Clarkson at her best
13. Cat Power - Cherokee
Cat Power just keeps getting better year to year.
14. Miranda Lambert - Over You
The best ballad she's ever done. I've loved Miranda Lambert from the first time I saw her on Nashville Star way back. The Four The Record is in my opinion the best record she's put out yet.
15. James Morrison - I Won't Let You Go
My favorite song he has come up with so far. Definitely the best song on the album
16. P!nk - Try
P!nk can't see to do any wrong lately. This is another song with a great video, but the song itself is great too.
17. Dierks Bentley - Home
Strikingly different then anything else I've heard of his. It's refreshing to hear him do something different.
18. Imogen Heap - You Know Where to Find Me
Another great song by one of my favorite artists ever
19. Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait
The best thing on Babel.
20. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Even better than Video Games
21. Lenka - Everything at Once
A great song that is unfortunately now irreversibly connected with Windows 8.
22. Solange - Losing You
Beyonce's little sister finally hit her stride in 2012. Great song.
23. Cassadee Pope - Stupid Boy
I've loved The Voice from the beginning, but this is the first year they got it right. I loved every performance of hers, but this was one her best.
24. The Band Perry - Better Dig Two
The best thing they've done so far.
25. Ed Sheeran - The A Team
He sort of came out nowhere this year. One my favorite songs and albums of the year.
26. Anya Marina - Body Knows Best
One of the best indie songs of the year.
27. Civil Twilight - Fire Escape
Another group I discovered this year. This song is my favorite song of there's.
28. Ellie Goulding - Anything Could Happen
Another great track by Ellie.
29. The Lumineers - Ho Hey
One of the big break out artists of the year.
30. Pistol Annies - Run Daddy Run
The best song on the Hunger Games soundtrack. It's actually listed as a Miranda Lambert song, but it's really her group Pistol Annies.
31. Imagine Dragons - It's Time
I wasn't originally a huge fan of this song, but it really grew on me.
32. Scissor Sisters - Only the Horses
Another good song by the Scissor Sisters.
33. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Never Go Back
I love Grace Potter, and this is one her best moments
34. Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks
A great track by them.
35. Adele - Skyfall
The best Bond song in years. Reminds me of the days of Shirley Bassey. Adele's voice lends itself to the Bond drama in the same way Bassey's does.
36. Bruno Mars - Locked Out of Heaven
The best Police song they never did.
37. David Guetta Feat Sia - Titanium
A perfect collaboration
38. Florence + the Machine - Spectrum
Florence can do no wrong
39. fun. - Some Nights
Not quite as good as We Are Young, but pretty close
40. Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire
The best thing she's done since No One
41. Demi Lovato - Give Your Heart a Break
One of the best pop songs of the year.
42. Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons - I've Been Accused
I only discovered them this year, but they quickly became one of my favorite discoveries of the year.
43. Neon Trees - Everybody Talks
Another great pop song
44. Paloma Faith - Picking Up the Pieces
One of my favorites this year
45. Of Monsters and Men - Mountain Sound
Another great song by them
46. Kenny Chesney - Come Over
One of the best country songs of the year.
47. Carrie Underwood - Good Girl
Carrie at her country-pop best.
48. Katy Perry - Wide Awake
The best of her post-divorce songs.
49. Marina and the Diamonds - Primadonna
Not as good as her first album, but still a fun song.
50. Kacey Musgraves - Merry Go 'Round
If this song is a good judge of what's to come, she'll be one to watch in 2013. A great new country artist.
51. P!nk - Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
P!nk at her best
52. Melanie Amaro - Long Distance
The best she's come out with so far. I'm still waiting for something to impress me the way she did on The X-Factor, but she's on her way.
53. The Raveonettes - Young and Cold
The Raveonettes with a little bit of a country edge. Different, but still unmistakably Raveonettes.
54. Zac Brown Band - Goodbye In Her Eyes
Reminds me of Alabama at their best.
55. Jack White - Sixteen Saltines
A great solo song by him
56. Eric Hutchinson - Watching You Watch Him
Good pop song
57. Emeli Sandé - Next to Me
One of the best debuts of the year.
58. Haley Reinhart - Free
She was the only artist I really liked on that season of American Idol. This was a great debut for her. I just wish it got more airplay.
59. The Wanted - I Found You
A surprisingly great song by one the boy bands of the moment
60. Adam Lambert - Never Close Our Eyes
I've always loved Adam Lambert. This is one of his best tracks so far.
61. Blake Shelton - Drink On It
Yet another good song to add to Blake Shelton's ever growing list of hits.
62. Flo Rida feat Sia - Wild Ones
Sia had a great year in collaborations. The second best one of the year.
63. Juliet Simms - Wild Child
I still think she should of won the 2nd season of The Voice.
64. Brandi Carlile - That Wasn't Me
I love Brandi Carlile's voice. No one else sounds quite like her.
65. James Morrison - Beautiful Life
The second best song on the album
66. Little Mix - Wings
They have the potential to be one of the best girl groups in years. I'm rooting for 'em.
67. The Killers - Runaways
The Killers at their over dramatic best
68. Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Taylor at her pop best.
69. Rihanna - Diamonds
Another great track to add to her many great tracks. She's another artist that can't seem to do anything wrong.
70. Little Big Town - Pontoon
The best thing they've done since Boondocks
71. Carrie Underwood - Blown Away
It tries to be Independence Day and doesn't quite make it. Despite that it is a good song, just not great.
72. Foster the People - Houdini
Not quite Pumped Up Kicks or Helena Beat, but still a good song
73. Owl City & Carly Rae Jepsen - Good Time
A fun song by the duo
74. Phillip Phillips - Home
Considering he was my least favorite contestant on idol for the last few years the fact that I actually liked his first single is incredible. I didn't like him at any point until the very very end of his idol run. Home is truly one of the best songs of the year.
75. Maroon 5 - One More Night
A great pop song by the group. A bit too pop, but still fun.