Last albums purchased thread

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Nov 2005, 5:38

Last albums purchased thread

i saw this idea on another group, and it generated a bunch of responses, so i figured what the hell, why not try it here.

what are the last albums you bought?

mine are:

Davenport - Davenport 12" from Not Not Fun
    Silver Daggers - Silver Daggers 7" from Not Not Fun

• The Bad Plus - Given
    Gang of Four - Shrinkwrapped

• Usuario
    • 16 Nov 2005, 8:00

eh

just bought the ladderwoe/sick llama double cassette from kitty play.

• Usuario
    • 16 Nov 2005, 21:20
    LiLiPUT - (collection)
    Replikants - Slickaphonics
    Essential Logic - Fanfare in the Garden
    A Frames - Black Forest (since I've listened to it about 10-15 times it seemed only fair)
    Broadcast - Tender Buttons
    Polvo - This Eclipse (last piece to Polvo collection)
    Scritti Politti - Early

Pretty much encapsulates my tastes.

• Usuario
    • 16 Nov 2005, 21:40
    nice to see someone buy Replikants, and that A-Frames album is great too.

i couldn't resist..

Mike Shiflet/Mike Connelly - split cs
    Chad Stockdale & Kevin Corcoran - 7"
    Abe Vigoda, Mika Miko, Weirdo/Begeirdo, Hello Astronaut Goodby Television - Treasure Tropics 7" this was sold out : (
    Silver Daggers/Blue Silk Sutures - 7"

• gav2639 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Nov 2005, 23:24
    rye coalition - jersey girls
    orange goblin - time travelling blues
    35007 - liquid tension
    june of 44 - anahata

Music is not a spectator sport.
    • Usuario
    • 16 Nov 2005, 23:50
    rye coalition's "hee saw dhuh kaet" is one of my favorite noise rock albums ever..too bad they started sucking after that. the split with karp was rad too.

• Cullenor escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Nov 2005, 1:07
    Animal Collective - Here Comes the Indian
    Slint - Spiderland
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (Non-Deluxe Edition, but it was 4 bucks. meh)

edit:....maybe I don't

I enjoy sunsets and long walks on the beach.
    • daevyl escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Nov 2005, 10:03
    Antigama - Discomfort
    Antigama - Zeroland
    Pelican - Untitled EP
    Pelican - Australasia

• gav2639 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Nov 2005, 10:30

Re:

Quoth avantgardening:
    rye coalition's "hee saw dhuh kaet" is one of my favorite noise rock albums ever..too bad they started sucking after that. the split with karp was rad too.

I agree, although I don't mind jersey girls. I heard that Their new album is going to be produced by Dave Grohl *shudders*. Can you recommend anybody similar?

• Usuario
    • 17 Nov 2005, 11:14

highly recommended noise rock.

i actually picked up jersey girls used last year, and i still haven't listened to it..

the great thing about hee saw dhuh kaet, was that in addition to fucking rocking, it was funny, they had a good balance..then they veered from rocking and tried to be ironic..atleast, i hope they're trying to be ironically bad.

i didn't see godheadSilo in your artist charts anywhere, they're pretty much essential listening if you're into noise rock. definitely check out karp's "suplex" album, everything else in karp's discography is good too with the exception of their self-titled album, i didn't like that one too much. dead low tide's self-titled album was great too. thumbnail's earlier albums sounded a lot like rye coalition's pre-hee saw stuff.

other noise rock recommendations (based on what i don't see on your charts (without getting into anything too weird/screamy/hardcore))

atombombpocketknife's "alpha sounds". milemarker's "futurisms" and "non-plus ultra" albums, after those they started sucking. hot snake's "suicide invoice", none of their other albums even come close to how good the first three songs on that album are. harkonen "shake harder boy". 90 day men "it (is (it) it) critical band". giddy motors "make it pop". the vss "nervous circuits". jaks "hollywood blood capsules". 400 blows "black rainbow". black eyes "self-titled". cream abdul babar "catalyst to ruins" and "split with kylesa". pink and brown "shame fantasy ii". part chimp "chart pimp". mclusky "do dallas" and "the difference between you and me is that i'm not on fire". the cows "sexy pee story". shellac "1000 hurts" and "terraforms". the pAper chAse "hide the kitchen knives", "god bless your black heart" and "ctrl+alt+del u". the red scare "capillary lockdown". lake of dracula "self-titled". arab on radar "yahweh or the highway", "soak the saddle" and "queen hygiene ii/rough day at the orifice". the coughs "fright makes right".

also, i didn't see a minor forest on your charts anywhere, they're quite possibly the best math-rock band that gets the least amount of attention. just listen to "flemish altruism" and you'll know what i'm talking about.

• gav2639 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Nov 2005, 17:14
    Thats given me loads to go on, thanks for replying. I'm not getting much love off soulseek at the moment, so I might have to check them out later on tonight....

• gav2639 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Nov 2005, 17:17

Re:

Quoth daevyl:
    Antigama - Discomfort
    Antigama - Zeroland
    Pelican - Untitled EP
    Pelican - Australasia

I have been meaning to check out more of Pelican, what I have heard I have really liked..

• Usuario
    • 17 Nov 2005, 21:06
    they have a split with Mono, that i still need to get around to listening to. I love Mono.

soulseek is the best.

• Usuario
    • 17 Nov 2005, 22:03

Re: highly recommended noise rock.

Quoth avantgardening:
    everything else in karp's discography is good too with the exception of their self-titled album, i didn't like that one too much.
    hot snake's "suicide invoice", none of their other albums even come close to how good the first three songs on that album are.

Karp's s/t album is good. The songs repeat a bit too much and there's no variation in speed throughout the album, but it sounds great 1 or 2 songs at a time. Audit in Progress is slightly better than Suicide Invoice though I unoriginally nicked this name from track 3 of SI.

• Usuario
    • 17 Nov 2005, 22:13
    here's my main problem with Audit In Progress...lyrically it was flat. it was rocking enough, but that was by far the worst performance lyrically of anything Rick's done. the choruses just seemed to be there, and really didn't hook you the way they did on Suicide Invoice. there were maybe two songs that kept your interest with both the singing and the instrumentation.

i'd still recommend Karp's self-titled album last after all of the other ones though.

• efterklang - tripper
    parts and labor - groundswell
    and
    confuse yr idols: a tribute to sonic youth (sonic youth covers by racebannon, rapider than horse power, tub ring, parts and labor, and others...)

• so the awful record store in my city has once again given me not necessarily an album i was looking for (because they never have any of those), but at least one that's utterly awesome that they priced at $1.99 because they didn't have a clue what it was.

yes, i just picked up gerry miles w/ alan licht and keji haino [atavistic] for $1.99. that's less than i spent on a cup of coffee today.

• Usuario
    • 26 Nov 2005, 3:31
    holy crap. i'm jealous. the only time i lucked out like that was in portland, when i got the ten in the swear jar cd brand new for .99 cents, and the jessamine & spectrum album new for 1.99. both signficantly less cool than your find but i think they were priced wonderfully.

it's nice to see another alan licht enthusiast.

• purchases of the last month (mostly at the wfmu record fair):

kuupuu - kulta sulka
    ni hao! - gorgeous
    terje isungset - iceman is
    zaimph - moon's pool
    windy & carl - the dream house
    poison - greatest hits
    pierre bastien - pop
    twink - the broken record
    moondog - moondog
    dandi wind - concrete igloo
    espers - the weed tree
    kiss me deadly - misty medley
    prurient - black vase
    make a change... kill yourself - s/t
    comus - double cd
    the happy dragon-band - s/t
    up-tight & makoto kawabata - s/t
    the fall - room to live (reissue)
    van morrison - moondance
    mi and l'au - s/t
    wanda sa - vagamente
    donna regina - slow killer

plus a ton more records but I lost them all on the subway so about $300 down the drain, including a record of ms piggy working out.

• now i get to be jealous. i've survived many years of not being in ny for the record fair, but this year they had to fucking blog about it for two weeks and rub it in. sigh.

• Aww, you should try to make it out next year if you're not TOO far away. It really is as amazing as it seems.

• yeah, chicago's a bit of a distance. i had actually been trying to plan a trip around the record fair and the open house of the grad school i'm interested in this year... but then i got hit by a bus. you know you have problems when you're more worried about the record purchases you're missing than you are about reconstructive surgery.

• ErikJohn escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 29 Nov 2005, 3:54
    i am spoonbender - sender/receiver
    make believe first ep 12" - 200 pressings, hand screened cover, w/ set list
    pink nasty - mule school

Radical
    • gav2639 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Dic 2005, 13:43

Re: highly recommended noise rock.

Quoth avantgardening:
    i actually picked up jersey girls used last year, and i still haven't listened to it..

the great thing about hee saw dhuh kaet, was that in addition to fucking rocking, it was funny, they had a good balance..then they veered from rocking and tried to be ironic..atleast, i hope they're trying to be ironically bad.

i didn't see godheadSilo in your artist charts anywhere, they're pretty much essential listening if you're into noise rock. definitely check out karp's "suplex" album, everything else in karp's discography is good too with the exception of their self-titled album, i didn't like that one too much. dead low tide's self-titled album was great too. thumbnail's earlier albums sounded a lot like rye coalition's pre-hee saw stuff.

other noise rock recommendations (based on what i don't see on your charts (without getting into anything too weird/screamy/hardcore))

atombombpocketknife's "alpha sounds". milemarker's "futurisms" and "non-plus ultra" albums, after those they started sucking. hot snake's "suicide invoice", none of their other albums even come close to how good the first three songs on that album are. harkonen "shake harder boy". 90 day men "it (is (it) it) critical band". giddy motors "make it pop". the vss "nervous circuits". jaks "hollywood blood capsules". 400 blows "black rainbow". black eyes "self-titled". cream abdul babar "catalyst to ruins" and "split with kylesa". pink and brown "shame fantasy ii". part chimp "chart pimp". mclusky "do dallas" and "the difference between you and me is that i'm not on fire". the cows "sexy pee story". shellac "1000 hurts" and "terraforms". the pAper chAse "hide the kitchen knives", "god bless your black heart" and "ctrl+alt+del u". the red scare "capillary lockdown". lake of dracula "self-titled". arab on radar "yahweh or the highway", "soak the saddle" and "queen hygiene ii/rough day at the orifice". the coughs "fright makes right".

also, i didn't see a minor forest on your charts anywhere, they're quite possibly the best math-rock band that gets the least amount of attention. just listen to "flemish altruism" and you'll know what i'm talking about.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I thought I would get back to you on how I got on. A bit embarrassing to admit but I only recognised about three of the bands which you mentioned!

A minor forest, I downloaded ininpendance and was put off by the first track as it sounded like a rip-off of slint; enjoyed the rest of it though so I will check out some more of their albums.

I really liked part chimp - chart pimp and I downloaded a couple godheadsilo albums which I also enjoyed.

Arab on radar was a strange beast, I was sure that the first couple times I listened that I enjoyed it; and I listened to them again a couple days ago and they seemed to really grate..... I will give them another go.

I managed to get hold of harkonen, the vss and milemarker but I haven't had a chance to give them a proper listen yet....

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.