Bands that'd suck without weird voices

• Bands that'd suck without weird voices

Well, not really suck per se...they'd just be worse.

Dead Kennedys
    Half Japanese
    Big Black
    Aesop Rock (the most unique voice in hip hop, not even to mention lyricism)
    Talking Heads
    The Stooges
    The Jesus Lizard/Scratch Acid
    Velvet Underground
    Killdozer (they really would suck without Michael Gerald's roar)
    Pixies
    Slint (I'm pretty sure Brain McMahan has the worst singing voice of all time--I love it)

• Man, like... all of them?
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    The Decemberists
    Deerhoof
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Beirut
    CSS
    But really, weird voices are always better than normal voices in my opinion.

• Tom179 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Abr 2007, 23:25
    Early Boredoms. Their first few albums just wouldn't be the same without someone (or at times various people) screaming like a lunatic over the top of it.

Pere Ubu. I've heard their singer is tone deaf. Wouldn't surprise me...

Slint and Killdozer are good ones.

Also Enter the Wu-Tang wouldn't be the same without Ol' Dirty Bastard.

• As much as I like Ol' Dirty Bastard, I am so, so glad he's barely on Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx. He was hilarious and talented, but only in small doses and the right situations. Otherwise he's just retarded (See: Duel of the Iron Mic, Triumph)

Fantomas

• Tom179 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Abr 2007, 23:35
    I like him on Duel Of The Iron Mic. :/

But you're probably right, he is best in moderation. He doesn't have that many verses on Enter the Wu-Tang which gives them more impact when they do come along. In fact I'd say his verse on Da Mystery Of Chessboxin' is just about the best on the whole album. His debut solo album is supposed to be good though, I need to hear that one.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Abr 2007, 23:39
    I would go as far as to say Destroyer, even though I love Dan Bejar's music to death. But without that wonderfully bleaty idiosyncratic voice of his, much of Destroyer's Rubies would be your average semi-bland folk-rock, This Night would be lengthy guitar noodling, and oh god, Your Blues would be utterly unbearable mock-80s fluff. Yet he can pluck even the most taboo instrumentation from the brink of sheer awfulness and save it with his voice. It's just that imperfectly awesome.

I can't say The Cars, though, since they had two singers. Ben Orr's voice is pretty damn conventional most of the time (not all the time, though), but his songs are still freaking awesome. But Ric Ocasek's were still better, of course. And Ric's songs are the only ones that you can dance to.

• What's so weird about Lovefoxx's vocals, Xy? It's just a Brazilian accent. Very attractive, yes, but not exactly strange.

A Silver Mt. Zion's vocal tracks would lack much of their sinister, nigh-archaic atmosphere without Efrim's cracked, plaintive tones. It's almost painful to imagine 'God Bless our Dead Marines' or 'Take These Hands and Throw them in the River' sung in a more conventional fashion.

• Tom179 said:
    I'd say his verse on Da Mystery Of Chessboxin' is just about the best on the whole album.

Da Mystery of Chessboxin' is no doubt the best song on the album, but the best verse is Masta Killa's.

• Hythlodaeus said:
    What's so weird about Lovefoxx's vocals, Xy? It's just a Brazilian accent. Very attractive, yes, but not exactly strange.

I don't know, I figure most conventional singers don't really sing in broken english with strong accents. It's not something you hear everyday. So I think it's weird. But yeah, she does have a nice sounding voice. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

• funkyfest escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 25 Abr 2007, 1:38
    The Smiths? Can anyone "normal" sing a Smiths song well? I've yet to hear it.

Domestic violence is wrong! And I like Cheerios!
    • Sagea escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 26 Abr 2007, 21:49
    Rush.

Except they have some of the best lyrics/muscicianship there is... So they wouldn't suck a lot, just a little bit.

\m/
  • Not only do you implicitly claim Rush don't actively suck as things stand, you have actually cited Geddy Lee's voice as a making a significant positive contribution to their music. That's fighting talk in these parts if ever I heard it...

• I agree with a lot of the bands already listed, so as for the ones not named:

Blonde Redhead. The Unicorns.

• Tot Tot Tot Tot Tot! You're alive! In more ways than one!

And yes, the Unicorns would suck a lot without the high-pitched squeaky wail.

And Rush! My AP Euro teacher had us watch/listen to some (shows of) Rush because it somehow related to the French Revolution. It was horrible. I now know why Cat calls Geddy Lee a strangled goat on helium. But then again, my AP Euro teacher also had us watch some Kraftwerk because it related to...German Unification? I do not remember. He listens to some horrible music.

This could be the all inclusive and complete proof of my inherent lack of motivation.
    • Sagea escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 2 May 2007, 2:10
    Eh, you either love 'em or hate 'em.

I love 'em.
    You gotta admit, they've got some insane skill. Musically and lyrically.

\m/
  • A lot of people don't see eye to eye on the importance of skill. While I'm not a Rush fan (okay, Spirit of Radio was cool on Freaks and Geeks), I do see that Neil Peart is a skilled drummer and I know they're technically a gifted group. I personally don't care about technical ability too much, it just comes down to if I enjoy it or not.

However-everyone should be competent on their instrument. If there's one thing I can't stand it's groups that can't perform well on stage or improvise at all to make it a little more interesting. It's pathetic and makes me want to cry. I'm not saying I want twenty minutes of self indulgent soloing (ugh quite the opposite), but do something to liven it up dammit!

Domestic violence is wrong! And I like Cheerios!
    • Sagea escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 2 May 2007, 3:15
    Yeah, I know. To me, stuff like Green Day and almost all of the new mainstream crap is just soooooo boring...

To me, technical skill shows that they work hard for their music, and I enjoy it much more. Makes it more interesting.

\m/
  • I don't know, it doesn't really matter to me most of the time. I like skill I guess, but I don't care if they don't show it off all the time. Some of my favorite songs are 4 chords. Some of them are crazy fast guitar things. Whatever sounds good. Improvising to make something sound different and good has slim to nil with putting in different notes. This is why we have knobs on our equipment.

• I find that technical skill, while it doesn't always need to be displayed, permits a band greater scope to explore and diversify their sound, such that, while a less-competent outfit may write one or two great tracks (usually of the pop/anthemic variety), an entire album of it would become very dull very quickly. A good band, however, comfortable in their ability, may not always choose to show it, but can should they wish to. Marnie Stern is a brilliant guitarist, but sometimes she's content just to rely on the potency of power chords or infectious hooks, balanced against her insane shredding.

Thinking about it, that point was so obvious as to be nigh-tautological. Ah well.

• I usally like a wide variety of songs at the first/second/third hearing. However, usually the more creative styles do attract me, regardless of genre (like The Arcade Fire and such). That's probably because they get annoying less easily; I like when I can hear a song 10 times and still find interesting things in it, rather than the same easy-to-follow chorus with a punky drum beat and guitar. That can be enjoyable for a few days, but then I start to to realize, "ehhh...this sucks."

• Usuario
    • 25 Mar 2008, 0:09
    Placebo

And I agree Lovefoxxx does sound weird it's not just a Brazilian accent to me anyway. But CSS would still be cool with a different vocalist cos the music is great too

So would The Yeah yeah Yeahs.

But Placebo I don't think so.

• Usuario
    • 27 Mar 2008, 14:42
    unreservedly - cradle of filth and almost all black metal bands

• Smemmah escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Abr 2008, 11:17
    Hot Hot Heat did once they got rid of Matthew Marnik.
    ]:

Sad day indeed.
    I wish they'd stuck with the synthpunk sound they had going originally.

• Usuario
    • 17 Abr 2008, 12:21
    err
    Japan
    early Genesis (i don't mean to say that the late Genesis with the changed singer sucks that bad though)
    The Damned!
    Roxy Music
    Black Sabbath - classic example, i so much preffer the Ozzy era because of the vocals
    Talking Heads - their music demand a lame voice anyway<3
    Cocteau Twins - fabulous
    Guns N' Roses - i really enjoy the fact that Axl is the singer of this band
    Can
    Bauhaus
    Talk Talk
    Adrian Belew lead-King Crimson
    Sparks

god i think that most of the bands i listen to have specific vocals and the songs would sound pretty lame if they weren't sung by the people who sing it actually

• Usuario
    • 18 Abr 2008, 22:50
    The Blood Brothers. I normally hate when people scream, but they have the weirdest screams I have ever heard, which is probably the only reason I listen to them.

And The View. It wouldn't be the same without the thickest scottish accents existing.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.