The longest track I've ever listened to

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 27 Feb 2010, 10:01
    Light of day, day of darkness - Green Carnation
    Amarok - Mike Oldfield

Both last an hour.

• As Slow as Possible (track length 639 y)

Hmm. Right now I'm listening to "American Landscapes" by (Peter Brötzmann's) Chicago Tentet, 52"44' for one track. Earlier today I listened to Merzbow & Pan Sonic's "V", playtime something like 70 minutes for one track.

But that's peanuts if we imagine a Top Listener of John Cage's "As Slow as Possible" who lived for 640+ years, listened and scrobbled the "track" to Last.fm. His or her Last.fm profile would show just one track.

• heuffel escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 2 Mar 2010, 21:51
    Yeah, PirtePiraja, you are right, I think, that this user would be absolutely sure a member of the group "Users for Last.fm song length tracking" :D
    But the thoughts you've posted before are interesting. Perhaps the Cage's composition is something like music for gods (because they wouldn't have problems with such "monstrous scale"). But for people, who (normally :)) don't live 640 years...
    It is a good question, if there has to be a listener in order that there is music. I think, that we could make a parallelism to literature: As Umberto Eco said, the book as such is just "a piece of paper" (i.e. text, script, something "dead"), only if there is a reader, the literary work (i. e. opus, something, that "lives" in the mind of the reader) begins to exist. In that words, there is no literature without a reader, without a percipient.
    So, I think, there is no music, if there is nobody, who could (and would) listen to it.

• Usuario
    • 4 Mar 2010, 14:44
    somnium by robert rich. 7 hours.

morton feldman's pieces most often are not divided into movements and are to be performed continuously, the longest of them is his second string quartet - 5 to 6 hours, depending on the particular performance. there's a dvd-audio release, 367 minutes long, and while it is divided into smaller chapters, the booklet clearly states the indexes are only for listener's convenience and do not reflect actual divisions within the piece.

as to the music existence / perception problem, there is a nice essay by francisco lopez.

and la monte young's composition no. 7 may be longer than anything else, as it consists of a B-F# double stop which is "to be held for a long time" (up to the performer apparently).

• Asunder/Corrupted - KFJC Collaboration (95:26)

• Usuario
    • 13 Mar 2010, 17:08
    Somnium by Robert Rich, again.

• 118 by Bull Of Heaven. Almost 2 months length haha!

• Usuario
    • 23 Mar 2010, 20:45
    I fully listened to a Moonsorrow song which goes nearly half an hour. There are also some songs from Black Boned Angel, which go a full hour, but I didn't listened to 'em fully.

• Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Motherfucker=Redeemer (45min live Version)

Last night I dreamed somebody loved me. No hope, no harm, just another false alarm.
    • brazzk escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 2 May 2010, 12:33
    Fantômas - Delirium Cordia - 74 minutes

i love your signature xengrid! what song is that?

Editado por brazzk el 31 May 2010, 22:14
  • There are "tracks" you can deliberately edit into smaller individual pieces - one good example would be "Amarok" from Mike Oldfield. This is one big track of exactly 60 minutes which comprises of 57 individual entities. You can go on and edit them out of the whole and play them randomly at will.
    But there are other songs, you can not do this without committing sacrilege. A good example would be Henryk Górecki's Symphony No. 3, Op. 36 "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs". You know you won't find a spot to split it up - so you listen to it enchanted from beginning to the very end, through 30, 8 and 17 minutes... and try to forget, how tremendously last.fm sucks.

24 hours a day is not enough for listening to music
    • Usuario
    • 15 May 2010, 20:08

Arvo Pärt - Passio

Passio
    70:52

Amazing piece of music :)

• Limwen47 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 May 2010, 0:09
    • Usuario
    • 6 Jun 2010, 18:12

• Longcount escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Jun 2010, 23:22
    BBart9 said:
    Amarok - Mike Oldfield

Listened to it several times and can't get enough of it

• musiky escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Jul 2010, 22:09

huge tracks

and i thought GY!BE's Providence was long...it's 29m02 secs LONG...it's pretty long for me...but i agree it's not a Last Fm track at all...

amg
    • Randwer escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 11 Jul 2010, 13:07
    Manuel Göttsching's E2-E4 is 58:39

Since I miss Schulzes Silver edition I haven't yet listened to
    Picasso Geht Spazieren - First Movement, which was 78:38.

They don't trust us, why should we trust them, then?
  • not counting live sets (since they consist of many different tracks) that would be jesus infinity with a legth of about 45 minutes. but what really interests me: how the fuck is ist possible to compose a track of over 600 years playtime?? Oo

• musiky escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Jul 2010, 16:26

tracks long as hell

And I thought that Kraftwerk's Autobahn (22:43) Ash Ra Tempel's Traummaschine (25:31), Amon Düül II's Phallus Dei (20:48), GY!BE's Providence (29:02) and Cat Power's Willie Deadwilder (18:18) were long; i just bought Boris' Absolutego, and its title track clocks at 1:05:35. GOD! Truly epic...

amg
  • Either Echolyn's "Mei" or Mike Oldfield's "Amarok". I can't remember which is longer right now.

"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows." - Frank Zappa
  • Fantômas - Delirium Cordia (74:13)

• macabro escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 23 Ago 2010, 7:07

Robert Rich - Somnium

• Usuario
    • 29 Sep 2010, 15:01
    thers a load like but this ones pretty fucking good:
    Manowar - Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts

• Ghost (29:58)

• Fushitsusha: I Saw It! That Which Before I Could Only Sense (It takes up the last 29:44 of the first disc and 54:44 of the 2nd; a total of 84 minutes.)
    The longest single track would probably be Thaumogenesis by Nadja (about 60 minutes).

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.