What is Gothic Metal to you?

• What is Gothic Metal to you?

There seems to be much confusion on exactly what gothic metal is. As the name suggests, gothic metal is the melding of gothic rock and heavy metal. From gothic rock we get the melancholic, icy, and haunting atmospherics. From heavy metal we get the aggressive guitar riffs and fast paced double bass kick drums. Sounds simple enough, yet when I have asked people what they think gothic metal is, the overwhelming response is heavy metal with a female singer. It seems the atmospherics part of the music is being replaced by the female voice. What brought about this metamorphosis? I personally think that haunting female voices enhance gothic atmospherics that should be an integral part of the music, and I especially like the "beauty and the beast" vocal arrangement, but that is just my preference. What is gothic metal to you?

MOT
    • [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 2 Dic 2008, 22:13
    Totally agree, "beauty and the beast", definitly, with an orchestra preferably. To me, the practical example is Ghost Love Score, by Nightwish. Ok, it's a female voice, but is not because of that, it's all the epic orchestra, the different rythems within.
    Another good example is Scorpion Flower, by Moonspell. It has his voice leading and then her voice in the chorus, that gives it a special touch. Check out Leading Legacy, by After Forever, too.

• Ludicolo escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Dic 2008, 21:05
    My definition of gothic metal is Velvet Darkness They Fear album as a whole. I don't know a better one to describe it. And maybe Irreligious by Moonspell

• Irreligious by Moonspell

Moonspell's Irreligious is a great example of gothic metal. Other examples of gothic metal with male vocalists are Sentenced' Down, Type O Negative's Bloody Kisses, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love female vocalists in gothic metal bands, I just do not like the male fronted gothic metal bands getting shoved into other subgenres because they do not have a female vocalist. Gothic metal is what it is, regardless of the gender of the vocalist.

MOT
    • [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 27 Dic 2008, 20:42
    A recent acquaintance, Virgin Black. I think it fits the profile just right. Not much use of female fronted, rather they go through choirs and melodies.

• Nightwish / Within / After Forever ... Sympho.

Tristania / Draconian / Sirenia (before :( ) ... Gothic/Doom.

• for me it's kinda dark mood gothy music but not gothic at all....

visit me if you like my name
  • i think it has a lot to do with the lyrics ,and the orchestra when thay come together it brings about a dark yet haunting sound that is gothic metal to me .

• adg211288 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 29 Abr 2010, 17:14
    One thing that does need to be noted is that many people can't seem to tell the difference between a gothic metal band and a symphonic metal band, you only have to look at the tags on Last.fm to see. Contrary to popular belief, they are not the same thing, even if many bands take influences from both.

Lacuna Coil, Coronatus, The Vision Bleak = Gothic metal.

x-1-alpha already gave some good examples of symphonic.

• Leigh2428 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 Ene 2011, 4:20
    gothjesusfreak said:
    i think it has a lot to do with the lyrics ,and the orchestra when thay come together it brings about a dark yet haunting sound that is gothic metal to me .

Yes!

NIghtwish, Within Temptation, Delain, Leaves' Eyes, Epica, After Forever, etc.....NOT GOTHIC! Why do these bands get labelled as gothic?? To me none of these bands have the dark haunting atmosphere. Maybe the occasional song, but overall, no!

For me a band that showcases true GOTHIC METAL and has the perfect dark haunting atmosphere is Tristinia. Pure gothic metal to my ears. At least old Tristania with Vibebe, and especially on the album Widow's Weeds.

Another one is Sirenia. Especially on the first couple of albums.

I can't make up my mind about OLD Lacuna Coil. The don't have the same kind of atmosphere as the two bands just mentioned, but....maybe a different kind of gothic? lol.

Can't forget about earlyTheatre of Tragedy either. Altho they had other influences such as doom and death, they had the gothic feel and atmosphere.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.