wagner and rock

• mennochen escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2008, 16:24

wagner and rock

Hi

I'm a pianist from the netherlands and I have been obsessed by Wagner from my late teens on. Funny thing is: I also have a great love for progressive rock. Isn't that an odd combination? Or is there something about Wagner that touches the same nerve as (intelligent, exciting) rock music? would like to hear anyone's opinion.

(i have many more musical obsessions by the way - not an exclusice wagnerian by any means)

mennochen
  • I'm really intrigued by Wagner, I only listened to Tannhäuser yet ad i liked... And i'm a progressive rock lover too ! But I think that are coincidences :P

• you're going to hate me for saying this but rock should stay away from wagner. I'm quite happy to sit through six hours of Wagner because (1) he was a genius (2) It's opera and there's a narrative element.
    'intelligent' rock music could mean almost anything - I mean there's just as much (if not more) intelligence in 2 and a half minutes of a Ramones song as a 25 minute jazz-rock epic by six guys that look IT technicians.
    I like some progressive rock (Incredible String band, Neu, Can, Faust) but I think that as a whole it did a lot of damage to popular music - bands like Yes and Genesis took the sexiness, passion and the fun out of rock and used it as a platform for showing off 'virtuoso' musicianship, usually at great length....
    Funnily enough, one of the things I love about Wagner is his amazing sense of economy think of the overture to Das Rheingold - a whole universe created in a single chord. His use of motifs links him perhaps more obviously to film composers.

That said, Goebbels famously used production techniques borrowed from Bayreuth for the Nuremburg rallies and there's always been a noticably fascistic undercurrent in the way certain rock idols manipulate crowds.....

• I don't think that love both to Wagner and rock is strange or unacceptable.

However wingsoftoast is quite right about so-called progressive rock, 'cause it often uses lots of time and instruments without any sence.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.