Favorite Profound Lore band?

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Sep 2008, 0:15

Favorite Profound Lore band?

Mine would have to be Portal, the atmospheric black/death metal band.

Seems like the most popular/well known bands are drone/shoegaze stuff like Alcest, Nadja, or The Angelic Process. I must say I prefer their black metal selection although I pretty much enjoy their entire catalog.

Post your favorite Profound Lore bands here, and why you like them so much.

• Usuario
    • 7 Sep 2008, 8:47
    Definitely The Angelic Process here, Portal comes in 2nd place though.

• I've got to rep the Bay Area locals and say Asunder and Hammers of Misfortune. Love their whole roster though.

• Usuario
    • 9 Sep 2008, 13:16
    Oh wow I forgot about Asunder. It would be cool if they signed more funeral doom bands. I haven't heard Hammers of Misfortune yet, but I'll definitely check them out.

• Usuario
    • 12 Sep 2008, 19:17
    Asunder, The Gates Of Slumber and Nadja.

• Usuario
    • 29 Sep 2008, 13:55
    I found out today that they have indeed signed another funeral doom band called Loss. I've heard a lot of funeral doom but I'm always looking for more (such an elusive genre) so I'm definitely gonna check them out.

http://www.last.fm/music/Loss

• [spam]

[spam]

Editado por hjbardenhagen el 9 Feb 2011, 18:33
    • Usuario
    • 5 Oct 2008, 21:03
    Well lots of people have been pouring on the praise for Outre (including me) so your expectations may have been a little high. It's definitely death metal but I think the black metal aesthetic is very strong, even dominant, in the music. They have a ton of atmosphere, but it only really reveals itself after multiple listens. I respect that you aren't into it, but I encourage you to at least try listening to Outre at least a couple more times. The right setting and good headphones can make all the difference.

• Usuario
    • 20 Nov 2008, 13:56

Grr

Probably Wold!

The raw crazy noisy black metal is just fantastic, and a touch of ambiance makes it even better. Killer band!

• DrFausto escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2008, 20:24
    Caina first, then Cobalt.

• Knoter escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Mar 2009, 10:26
    So far I've only heard Cobalt and Krallice, and of that two I'like Cobalt more... Wold... hm.. that's definetely not music... that's torture...

• Usuario
    • 20 May 2009, 2:55
    Cobalt tied with Wrath Of The Weak

edit: "Invincible Sun" and "Angels With Forked Tongues..." i think speak to why i like the respective bands. amazing -- and diametrically opposed -- methods of songwriting.

• For me it's definitely Portal. The Angelic Process, Cobalt, Bloody Panda, Nadja, Asunder and Wold comes next.

• Usuario
    • 29 Sep 2009, 18:51
    The Angelic Process, then Wold and Portal.

• Usuario
    • 12 Dic 2009, 19:45
    Asunder, Yob, Hammers of Misfortune...

...and Ludicra

• Usuario
    • 21 Dic 2009, 2:28
    Cobalt and Altar of Plagues, probably. To be honest, I've never given it much thought until I realised that so much of what I've been listening to has been released by these guys.

Cobalt particularly. Their last two albums were brilliantly realized from an artistic standpoint, but what grabs me is just how...nasty they sound without sacrificing any listenability.

• Weighing Souls with Sand is my favorite album to be released on the label, but overall, I would have to say YOB is probably my favorite band. Amesoeurs had a few really awesome songs, but I wasn't too impressed with their full length. I still need more time to digest Portal...very abstract and psychedelic. It's kind of hard to distinguish noise and noodling from actual structured sounds but I like the ideas.

Anyways, awesome label and I'm looking forward to further investigation.

• Usuario
    • 26 Dic 2009, 9:24
    Glad this thread is still somewhat alive. New YOB, Krallice, Altar of Plagues, and Cobalt albums are actually in my best of 2009- all Profound Lore. Some great stuff coming up early 2010 as well.

• ALXKNG escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 31 Ene 2010, 1:06
    Portal by a mile. Then I'd say Stargazer, Wold and Wrath of the Weak. Phenomenal bands, though I have trouble liking a lot of others on the label. I've loved this label for a while, but I can't really seem to get into bands like Krallice or Caïna. As long as the first 3 I mentioned are around I'm a happy man.

• Cobalt, Krallice, Altar of Plagues, Amesoeurs, Alcest, Portal, and Asunder are all great, and what I've heard of Wrath of the Weak and Wold was also rather impressive although I'll have to listen more. If I had to choose a favourite at the moment I'd probably have to go with Cobalt or Krallice, because I feel they've done the most to progress the genre of black metal beyond its traditional confines, but Portal would be close behind as some of the most truly terrifying death metal I've ever heard (only Incantation, Immolation and Gorguts come close honestly). I don't usually have much label loyalty (I like what I like) but I recently looked through my catalogue and realised how much of it came from Profound Lore, and I've yet to hear a disappointing Profound Lore act. Great label.

• Usuario
    • 7 Mar 2010, 23:26

Favorite Profound Lore band(s)

Hammers of Misfortune, Ludicra, YOB. Many of the other bands too (getting in to Asunder now), but those would be my favorites. Profound Lore puts out some quality music.

• Shneidr escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Abr 2010, 14:41
    Wrath of the Weak and Altar of Plagues if I had to choose, but there are many other great bands on Profound Lore like Atavist, Krallice, Cobalt...

• rawhgwar escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 26 Abr 2010, 7:47
    amesoeurs, wold, cobalt, portal and alcest are probably the ones i go to most

• Usuario
    • 1 Ago 2010, 15:03
    Currently, it's agalloch. But it might change in the near future, because this label has so many great bands... Can't go wrong with profound lore.

• YOB,Bloody Panda,Altar of Plagues !!

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.