Burnt at the prog stake!

• Burnt at the prog stake!

Building on some honest posting from Doug elsewhere, how about we take the opportunity to exorcise any demons and admit to any nagging little issues we may have/had with the output over the years from those that that are generally considered the glitterati of the prog world?

I'll start it off by saying I think The Wall is one of the worst prog albums ever made - too depressing, self indulgent and over long - prog it ain't! (Comfortably Numb is by far the best track and only for the guitar solos)

Over to you and remember - no fear!

Uncle Jack knows the song of the hedgerows...
    Editado por Oldprogger64 el 8 Abr 2012, 16:33
    • [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Abr 2012, 12:00
    In for a penny...

I would cheerfully burn The Mars Volta

...and ensure that the Fire Brigade were on strike...

Mis-tuned, fuzzed and screamed...

Not MY idea of music at all... :-((

• Mark_H escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Abr 2012, 15:15
    I cannot stand ELP and their glorified histrionics. Seriously over-rated.

However, I do generally like most bands influenced by ELP!

• AlexboyCO escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Abr 2012, 20:01
    Did never want to hear songs by a " poor man's Genesis band " called Marillion.
    I'm no fisherman's friend either.

Verhasst ist mir das Folgen und das Führen-F. Nietzsche- Think!
  • Ah, I shall lay down some mighty burdens. I've tried to like Peter Hammill/VdGG for 40 years but I shall now admit defeat; King Crimson after Islands although perhaps I should try again; Genesis after Wind & Wuthering; Marillion after Fish; most of Yes after Relayer; The Wall!

List.fm is not the same thing at all
    • Flight123 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 10 Abr 2012, 9:43
    Argh! ELP? - a dagger to my heart... (the one Lemmy gave to Keith)

• At last - I've found a track from The Wall (besides Comfortably Numb) that I like:

• Oh crikey.....what have I started!!!!

LOL......agree re VDGG - apart from the fabulous anthem / theme instrumental thing.... ( which I mainly liked thanks to The late great Tommy Vance and his Friday night rock show...it was part of the opening theme) - I just can't bear them.......

The voice......

All of it.....

Eek!!!!

grooving with the beat box........wah wah wah :)

• Usuario
    • 15 Abr 2012, 9:13
    skiesrblue said:
    Oh crikey.....what have I started!!!!
    <snip>
    Eek!!!!

Tis a shame that we can't turn this into REALITY - if we could then I'm sure some GENRE's would be incinerated...

Guess which one I would condemn to DEATH with NO qualms whatsoever?

Yup - Doug knows....!!

(c)

• Mark_H escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 Abr 2012, 10:24
    skiesrblue said:
    Oh crikey.....what have I started!!!!

LOL......agree re VDGG - apart from the fabulous anthem / theme instrumental thing.... ( which I mainly liked thanks to The late great Tommy Vance and his Friday night rock show...it was part of the opening theme) - I just can't bear them.......

The voice......

All of it.....

Eek!!!!

Let it all out, Doug.

I think I need to start another thread (seeing as this is a guilt-free zone) that explains just why Peter Hammill is THE voice, not just in Prog, but in any genre...

• I also have tried and failed over the years to like VDGG. Yes, Doug, the FNRS theme - that's as far as I got too!

Uncle Jack knows the song of the hedgerows...
  • Next for the fire? I bring - on a very long bargepole - Arjen Lucassen/Ayreon. Don't give rock-opera a bad name - this is sci-fi schlock-opera

• skiesrblue escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 15 Abr 2012, 17:55
    ProggySpook said:

Tis a shame that we can't turn this into REALITY - if we could then I'm sure some GENRE's would be incinerated...

Snipped

Er.....Roy....enough of your anti-rap obsession this thread is only about Prog......!!

• skiesrblue escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 15 Abr 2012, 17:58
    Although I don't agrees entirely re ELP.......

I have to confess to a complete loathing of Tarkus....

And.....

Deep breath....

The ultimate self indulgent (complete wankery) album that is:

Tales from the topographic oceans.......

Come on...... Be honest.....who really likes the album that has created almost all the prog mockery in the world!!????

:)

• Usuario
    • 15 Abr 2012, 19:34
    skiesrblue said:
    ProggySpook said:

Snipped

Er.....Roy....enough of your anti-rap obsession this thread is only about Prog......!!

OUT OF ORDER SIR!!!

No come-backs for independent thinking on THIS thread!!!

Repeat after me - RAP is CRAP!!!!!!! :-))

• Usuario
    • 15 Abr 2012, 19:36
    skiesrblue said:
    <snip>
    And.....

.....who really likes the album that has created almost all the prog mockery in the world!!????

I am, for once, in COMPLETE agreement with you Sir D... :-))

Even Rick Wakeman detested it........

• skiesrblue escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 15 Abr 2012, 20:30
    ProggySpook said:

Repeat after me - RAP is CRAP!!!!!!! :-))

I quite like some of it......

But anyway - back to the prog debate....

• Mark_H escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Abr 2012, 6:55
    skiesrblue said:

Come on...... Be honest.....who really likes the album that has created almost all the prog mockery in the world!!????

:)

I honestly like it, as you can see from my ratings chart. I'll admit that it's too long and that with some editing it could have been much more satisfying, but there's much to enjoy on that album.

Which leads me on to: Rick Wakeman

If there ever was an overrated Prog artist, it's him. His music style bores me to tears.

Blimey, if we carry this thread on much longer we'll excise Prog entirely :!

• Flight123 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Abr 2012, 10:01
    It's great that Topographic Oceans is causing controversy nearly 40 years on! I still love it and over the years, my favourite 'sides' of the album shift...
    I did shun the Wakeman albums
    I also dislike the present trend for metal bands 'going prog' in a cynical attempt to tap into the market

• Topographic Oceans - I refused to have anything to do with it (based on hearsay) when it came out, and have only come to listen to it in the last couple of years because of Last. It's a swine between the two pearls of Close to the Edge & Relayer, but I don't hate it in the way that I hate much of the post-Relayer stuff.

Rick Wakeman solo - I entirely agree. Burn him - preferably on ice.

New suggestion: Magellan. I just can't bear Trent Gardner's vocals.

• PS: just re-listened to KC's 'Larks Tongues' and 'Starless', and last years' VdGG 'A Grounding in Numbers'. OK, incineration may be a little harsh. But then Fripp won't even let his album covers appear on Last, so on balance I'll let him burn.

• skiesrblue escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 16 Abr 2012, 19:39
    Oh now hang on.....I didn't expect my topographic phobia to turn into a burn wakeman thread,,,, LOL....

If you haven't heard White Rock - give it a whirl....love it...and the whole Henry 8th album was a cracker too.....

Granted the rest is pants..... But there are at least 2 gems!!!!

Plus.....Going For The One - Awaken....
    God like genius. Especially the organ, piano playing..........

Forgive him friends :)

• Usuario
    • 16 Abr 2012, 20:32
    skiesrblue said:
    Especially the organ, piano playing..........

Forgive him friends :)

For he knoweth NOT what he hath done....

• amatala escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 17 Abr 2012, 8:47
    I like Topographic Oceans - even if it's not one of my favorite Yes albums, it does have some absolutely remarkable moments and some dull ones. Overall if it would have been shorter then it would have been brilliant - but even as it is now, it's a great album.
    If half of the existing Prog releases would be half as good as Tales, then we'd be living in a wondrous Prog world! ;-)

As for Mr. Wakeman - love the guy - call it guilty pleasure or not - I have almost all his albums. Indeed not all are great and quite a few are very weak, but still I love his early works (Wives, Myths and Legends, Earthly Connection, White Rock, Criminal Record) and a couple of his later releases which I find excellent (1984, Wakeman with Wakeman, 2000 AD).

Plus, there is this sadly misnamed "Greatest Hits" album which is not some kind of "best of" - it contains re-recordings of early Yes and Wakeman tunes with a very funky sound - it swings and it rocks and I could never get enough of listening to this album:

http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Wakeman-Greatest-Hits/dp/B000003RZV

Get a used copy for a couple of bucks and you'll never be sorry!

• Mark_H escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Abr 2012, 9:55
    Adrian, you don't get off that easily - this is a thread about Prog hates... time to confess! :D

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.