My Gang Recos Of The Week

• rwitte escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 8 Ene 2010, 22:46
    re Paloma Faith - Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful? : Reco of the Week 05 Jan 10

babs the track is, as you tagged. gorgeous. Great reco. (Oh you meant the singer (blush))

Your prose was excellent as usual although I thought your protestations rang false...not that I do New Year Resolutions either.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 13 Ene 2010, 0:12

Vampire Weekend - Cousins : Reco of the Week 12 Jan 10

Vampire Weekend - Cousins : Reco of the Week 12 Jan 10

Track: Cousins
    Artist: Vampire Weekend
    Album: Contra (11 Jan 10)
    Tags: , , , ,
    Video: Click the pic...

YouTube Official Video

My offerings for midwinter madness to help banish January blues continue with this nonsensical but fantastically energetic single from Vampire Weekend, featuring rapid fire drums and frenzied guitars.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 19 Ene 2010, 20:43

Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Martha Wainwright - Winter Lady : Reco of the Week 19 Jan 2010

Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Martha Wainwright - Winter Lady : Reco of the Week 19 Jan 2010

Track: Winter Lady
    Artist: Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Martha Wainwright
    Album: Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man

YouTube, audio upload

My reco this week is for one of my favourites by the two sisters. Martha Wainwright is on there too but she isn't very noticeable. What we hear the most are the two famously thin voices of the sisters that, together, formed something distinct and unique. Winter Lady is an exquisite and unforgettable cover of the Leonard Cohen song (Winter Lady), coming from the original soundtrack to the documentary I'm Your Man (2006).

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 28 Ene 2010, 1:02

David Bowie - Jazzin' for Blue Jean : Reco of the Week 26 Jan 2010

David Bowie - Jazzin' for Blue Jean : Reco of the Week 26 Jan 2010

Track: Blue Jean
    Artist: David Bowie
    Album: Tonight (1984)
    Tags: , , ,

YouTube, 20 mins, longform promo

Possibly the greatest longform video, and Janet Jackson agrees, is David Bowie's for Blue Jean.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 10 Feb 2010, 9:37

The Strangeloves - I Want Candy : Reco of the Week 09 Feb 2010

The Strangeloves - I Want Candy : Reco of the Week 09 Feb 2010

Track: I Want Candy
    Artist: The Strangeloves
    Album: I Want Candy (1965)

YouTube original footage, Sammy Davis, Jr. at 0.38, Sonny & Cher seated to the left of the stage

I Want Candy was written by Bert Berns and The Strangeloves - Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein and Richard Gottehrer - in 1965, although if we dig a little deeper, we find the original music was by the great master Bo Diddley himself.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 17 Feb 2010, 3:34

Sa Dingding - Ha Ha Lili : Reco of the Week 16 Feb 2010

Sa Dingding - Ha Ha Lili : Reco of the Week 16 Feb 2010

Track: Ha Ha Lili (天地记)
    Artist: Sa Dingding (萨顶顶)
    Album: Harmony (天地合) Feb / Mar 2010
    Tags: , , , , , , ,

YouTube official video

It was the Chinese Year of the Tiger the same day as Saint Valentine's. To commemorate the occasion, I have chosen Sa Dingding (萨顶顶) this week and her new single Ha Ha Lili (天地记), from her album Harmony (天地合), due for UK release 8 March but available now on iTunes and streaming here in Last.fm. It has already gone double-platinum in mainland China just for pre-order.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 24 Feb 2010, 5:12

Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 5 Adagietto : Reco of the Week 23 Feb 2010

Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 5 Adagietto : Reco of the Week 23 Feb 2010

Track: Adagietto or 'Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor: IV. Adagietto' which happens to be in F major
    Artist: Gustav Mahler
    Album: Mahler: Symphony No. 5
    Tags: , , , , , , , ,
    Video: Click the pic:

YouTube, Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir - 2010 Canadian Nationals FD (No commentary)

Adagietto is the fourth movement of the five and the most frequently performed. It is slow, soft and delicate, scored only for harp and strings, in contrast to the other four which are for the whole orchestra. After the high drama of the preceding three pieces, it is an idyll, a brief respite before the finale and the story ends. The term adagietto means slow but a little faster than adagio.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 3 Mar 2010, 5:21

Gorillaz - Stylo : Reco of the Week 03 Mar 2010

Gorillaz - Stylo : Reco of the Week 03 Mar 2010

Track: Stylo Featuring Mos Def and Bobby Womack
    Artist: Gorillaz
    Album: Plastic Beach (8 Mar 10)
    Tags: , ,

YouTube, official video

The music is like Massive Attack at a disco. Damon Albarn's hypnotic, seductive vocals set a tone that doesn't continue when he's blown out of the water when Bobby Womack appears. Mos Def adds to the aural flavour without imposing on it, providing richness and depth.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 10 Mar 2010, 2:29

Joanna Newsom - Easy : Reco of the Week 9 March 2010

Joanna Newsom - Easy : Reco of the Week 9 March 2010

Track: Easy
    Artist: Joanna Newsom
    Album: Have One on Me (1 Mar 10)
    Tags: , , , , ,

YouTube, audio upload

My reco this week is the first track, Easy, from her new album, Have One on Me. This is how she opens the door to her new world. It's like the Alice in Wonderland of albums; the beauty is otherworldly. Her voice, damaged by her old style of singing, doesn't catch or squeak like it used to. Now, though still challenging, she's more polished, mature and easier on the ear.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 17 Mar 2010, 2:20

Yeasayer - O.N.E : Reco of the Week 16 March 2010

Yeasayer - O.N.E : Reco of the Week 16 March 2010

Track: O.N.E (23 March 10)
    Artist: Yeasayer
    Album: Odd Blood

YouTube, official video

The new album, Odd Blood, picks up from where they left off, adding new directions and exploring more ideas. O.N.E is The Song Of 2010. O.N.E dominates. None of the other tracks on the album come close, touch it or sound like it. I can't help myself, I have to say it: O.N.E is a one-off. Thank you for indulging me. In decades to come, we are going to love O.N.E the way we love the greats we grew up with. It's got classic track written all over it. Future music nodding to the 80s who in turn nodded to the 60s.

Did I mention I liked it?

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 24 Mar 2010, 1:50

Polar Bear - A New Morning Will Come : Reco of the Week 23 March 2010

Polar Bear - A New Morning Will Come : Reco of the Week 23 March 2010

Track: A New Morning Will Come
    Artist: Polar Bear
    Album: Peepers (March 2010) (We7)

YouTube official video

The new album, Peepers, is the only one of theirs that I have heard so far and I am so blown away, I plan on listening to their previous three albums this week. Looking around to see how other people are describing it, I am pleased to discover everyone is saying it's indescribable. So it's not just me, then. I can hear familiar things that remind me of the Basquiat Strings album so I have something to anchor it, but other than that, the music is free-flowing and unpredictable. It's got everything. The track I have chosen, A New Morning Will Come, primarily because it's the only one with a video, begins quite trip-hop before it takes off. Elsewhere in the album, there's rock and even pop. At no point did I feel challenged, the music isn't difficult in the slightest - just inventive and original. I think what I like best is that the music is driven by drums, which I have a deep love for.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 31 Mar 2010, 3:17

Ultravox - Vienna : Reco of the Week 30 March 2010

Ultravox - Vienna : Reco of the Week 30 March 2010

Track: Vienna
    Artist: Ultravox
    Album: Vienna (1980)

YouTube, official video

To celebrate 30 years since the original release of Ultravox's signature track, Vienna, and to herald their reunion tour, there is a campaign in Facebook to download Vienna from Sunday 4th April and get them the UK number 1 that eluded them the first time around. The aim is to get it to number 1 for Sunday 11th April.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 6 Abr 2010, 23:30

Hypernova - Fairy Tales : Reco of the Week 6 April 2010

Hypernova - Fairy Tales : Reco of the Week 6 April 2010

Track: Fairy Tales (Spotify)
    Artist: Hypernova
    Album: Through The Chaos (We7) (6 April 10)

YouTube, official video, explicit

Fairy Tales is the first single from the debut album, Through The Chaos, out today, by Iranian rock band, Hypernova, now based in New York. It's catchy, crunchy rock that creeps up to 11 without you even realising. The video is a very simple white background with the band dressed in black and white - and I like Kodi, the tall thin one with long hair and the red guitar. Lead vocalist, Raam, sings in that deep baritone that is reminiscent of any number of bands from the late 70s onwards, from Joy Division to The Horrors.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 14 Abr 2010, 3:19

Jeff Beck - There's No Other Me : Reco of the Week 13 April 2010

Jeff Beck - There's No Other Me : Reco of the Week 13 April 2010

Track: There's No Other Me (feat. Joss Stone)
    Stream: Hype Machine
    Artist: Jeff Beck
    Album: Emotion & Commotion (12 April 10) [ We7 | Spotify ]

YouTube: Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton, Joss Stone, London - 02, February 13 2010 (Opening Night)

I could have picked any track but I decided to choose this one featuring Joss Stone, the album highlight. I have never heard her sound so good. Rock suits her. My only criticism is it seems unfinished; it fades out too soon, as if there should have been more. The recorded version sounds better than the live one in the video, above, but I think the live version of I Put A Spell On You has the edge over the album's, also the new single.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 21 Abr 2010, 3:11

Gonjasufi - Kowboyz&Indians : Reco of the Week 20 April 2010

Gonjasufi - Kowboyz&Indians : Reco of the Week 20 April 2010

Track: Kowboyz&Indians [ full stream: hypem ]
    Artist: Gonjasufi
    Album: A Sufi and a Killer (Warp, 8 Mar 2010)

(YouTube, fan video with audio upload)

The track I have chosen is one of my favourites, mainly because it features Las Grecas, one of my new obsessions. The track he sampled is Bella Kali, from their album Gipsy Rock, originally released in 1974 and rereleased a few months ago under a push for all things 1970s flamenco rock. I chose the fan video (above) for its cheesy special effects and good images and stills.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 28 Abr 2010, 1:38

Jenifer Jackson - Mercury, the Sun and Moon : Reco of the Week 27 April 2010

Jenifer Jackson - Mercury, the Sun and Moon : Reco of the Week 27 April 2010

Track: Mercury, the Sun and Moon [ Spotify ]
    Artist: Jenifer Jackson
    Album: Birds (2001)

(YouTube fan video)

The song sounds 60s lounge, a bit 50s beat and Brazilian jazz/pop, with the vocals echoing breathily over the top. The video is a collection of images of the sun, the moon and the artist, Jenifer Jackson, who seems to be pretty obscure, with not many listeners here in Last.fm and not a great deal to be found in Google. Careful, she shares her name with one or two undesirables. It's Jenifer with one 'n'.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 5 May 2010, 6:25

Lord Beginner - General Election : Reco of the Week 04 May 2010

Lord Beginner - General Election : Reco of the Week 04 May 2010

Track: General Election
    Artist: Lord Beginner
    Album: London Is The Place For Me (Part 2)

YouTube, audio upload

It's election week in Great Britain with only days to go till we find out if we have a new leader or not.

A little hunting in Last.fm unearthed this little treasure. It was written in 1950 after Clement Atlee’s victory in the first general election ever after a full term of a Labour government. (wikipedia)

The track is classic Trinidadian calypso with the twist of the lyrics set in London describing the atmosphere, sights and sounds of the general election. It's sounds like sunshine trying to break through a black & white rainy day.

• rwitte escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 6 May 2010, 19:32
    A very nice track! Thank you for it.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 12 May 2010, 3:15

The Specials and Fun Boy Three – The Lunatics : Reco of the Week 11 May 2010

The Specials and Fun Boy Three – The Lunatics : Reco of the Week 11 May 2010

Track: The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum) [ Full stream: We7 ]
    Artist: The Specials and Fun Boy Three
    Album: The Very Best of the Specials and Fun Boy Three

YouTube audio upload

The song: The Lunatics (Have Taken Over The Asylum) was originally written when The Specials were still together but wasn't released as a single till 1981, after they had split and the Fun Boy Three had formed.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 May 2010, 11:13
    Hey! Thanks for this one!

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 20 May 2010, 0:41

Duran Duran - Planet Earth : Reco of the Week 18 May 2010

Duran Duran - Planet Earth : Reco of the Week 18 May 2010

Track: Planet Earth
    Artist: Duran Duran
    Album: Duran Duran (1981, reissued 2010)

YouTube

Planet Earth was the first single from the debut album which got Duran Duran noticed. It appeared on the same episode of Top of The Pops as Spandau Ballet with To Cut a Long Story Short. It was a busy day at school the next day. The charts, forever interesting at the time, just got more so.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 27 May 2010, 2:28

Trentemøller: Sycamore Feeling : Reco of the Week 25 May 2010

Trentemøller: Sycamore Feeling : Reco of the Week 25 May 2010

Track: Sycamore Feeling [ full stream and free d/l: AOL ]
    Artist: Trentemøller
    Album: Into the Great Wide Yonder (31 May 2010)

YouTube Official Video

Sycamore Feeling is the first single from the forthcoming new album, due in the next few weeks, depending on your region.

The piece opens with a strum of surf guitars heavily reverbed and someone who sounds exactly like Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star but not. This nearly there but somewhere else continues for the rest of the track. When the dance beats start, they're so subtly and elegantly done, all you notice is the pace picking up and being taken along with it. The music is a mix of the electronic and the organic. I really like the dark Massive Attack sound of Sycamore Feeling and am looking forward to hearing more.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 30 Jun 2010, 4:54

Scissor Sisters : Invisible Light : Reco of the Week 29 June 2010

Scissor Sisters : Invisible Light : Reco of the Week 29 June 2010

Track: Invisible Light
    Artist: Scissor Sisters
    Album: Night Work

YouTube amateur video

This week's reco comes from my album of the week, the third release from the Scissor Sisters, Night Work. Final track Invisible Light closes the album with over 6 minutes of euphoria, sealing it with a smacker of a mwah, making you want to play the whole thing again.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 7 Jul 2010, 4:35

Dutch : 2,000 Leagues Under My Keyboard : Reco of the Week 6 July 2010

Dutch : 2,000 Leagues Under My Keyboard : Reco of the Week 6 July 2010

Track: 2,000 Leagues Under My Keyboard
    Artist: Dutch
    Album: A Bright Cold Day (June 2010)

YouTube, audio upload

Cry
    You made her cry
    And the mountains lay down to listen

My pick this week comes from an album that was three years in the making. A Bright Cold Day is a collaboration between Stoupe of Jedi Mind Tricks and the relative unknown Liz Fullerton under the name Dutch.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 14 Jul 2010, 1:17

Maps & Atlases – The Charm : Reco of the Week 13 July 2010

Maps & Atlases – The Charm : Reco of the Week 13 July 2010

Track: The Charm
    Artist: Maps & Atlases
    Album: Perch Patchwork (June 2010)

YouTube, audio upload

There's math rock in the hands of upcoming musicians still learning their craft, and there's math rock in the hands of virtuosos. This is the latter.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.