Do you turn off your mac ?

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 23 Mar 2007, 23:00

Do you turn off your mac ?

I don't, or maybe once a week.
    Is it better to turn it off each 1/2/3 days ?

• I restart mine after a system update, that's all.

• Iny escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 25 Mar 2007, 21:41
    my mac is switched off whenever im not useing it
    surely leaving it on doesn't do it any good

• Usuario
    • 26 Mar 2007, 21:01
    Oh my God, you're using up electric and contributing to global warming killing thousands of animals in the process!

• Gee, that message sounds almost sarcastic for some reason.

It's a PowerBook, it doesn't use much power when it's asleep. I turn off everything else I'm not using, recycle, use public transport and all that stuff. The good it does when I'm not using it is keeping everything in memory that I'm in the middle of.

• Usuario
    • 28 Mar 2007, 0:18
    My mac mini is in sleep when I am not using it. The only time I turn off is more of a restart to go into Windows sometimes to play Metal Gear Solid 2

• ellord escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Mar 2007, 13:37
    yeah, I usually turn mine off when I'm not using it (MacBook).

• skywards escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 29 Mar 2007, 7:35
    I put it on sleep and then restart in sometimes for uprages. Or if Im going away for a few days I turn it off...

• schlonzo escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 30 Mar 2007, 23:54
    if you turn off your mac, it won't be able to run it's daily/weekly/monthly scripts (which are nescessary for system performance) since they are sceduled to times around 4:00 am and are not run if the computer is off at that time.
    if you turn off your mac during night, use tools like onyx or cocktail to run the scripts manually.

best regards, the schlonz

• Iny escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 2 Abr 2007, 9:19
    hmm, didn't know that
    still, i guess ill be doing it manually then as im not having my mac whirring away in the room when im trying to sleep at night :P

• dom84ts escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 2 Abr 2007, 10:29

Turn off

Usually i turn off my mac all the times that i don't use it! But an expert guy told me that is better to leave the mac in stop that shut it down!!

• xmanoel escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Abr 2007, 14:12
    I reboot it when it starts to misbehave.

• I dont shut it off... I kill the screen and let it fold:

http://folding.stanford.edu

• robotgas escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 5 Abr 2007, 17:19
    Back in the old days of waiting for extensions to load, it made sense to leave your Mac on all the time.

But now, it seems silly to waste resources unless you're actually doing something with it overnight (uploading/downloading/archiving/etc.)

Especially the energy-hog-G5!- Oh, and yes, you should just set up your schedule update to run while you're there.

• Usuario
    • 5 Abr 2007, 18:38
    robotgas said:
    and yes, you should just set up your schedule update to run while you're there.

How do you do that ?

• robotgas escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 6 Abr 2007, 6:58
    --Miklitov said: How do you do that ?

Go into your system preferences, and click on "software update."
    There you can set how often you want to automatically check for updates, and also can click "Check Now."

A shortcut to "Check Now" would be to select "Software Update" from your Apple Menu (upper left-hand of your screen.)

Hope this helps!

• I just close the lid on my MacBook when I'm not using it - I never shut it down from the Apple menu.

It's quicker to pick up and use it when I'm out that way.

p.s. This is my 50th post. Yay.

• ubergavin escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 6 Abr 2007, 14:47
    I have one of the G5 iMacs.... I usually let it stay on for a week or two at a time without shutting it down and I haven't had any problems really. I only restart when I download the system updates or she starts acting up. I mostly do it like many others who have posted here to keep the things i've been working on in memory. It runs so quietly that I don't even notice it when I'm sleeping.

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so. -DNA
  • I don't turn off mine.. I like to stay signed onto AIM. I know it's probably unhealthy, but now and then I do give it a little rest.

• Usuario
    • 6 Abr 2007, 19:41
    robotgas said:
    Go into your system preferences, and click on "software update."
    There you can set how often you want to automatically check for updates, and also can click "Check Now."
    A shortcut to "Check Now" would be to select "Software Update" from your Apple Menu (upper left-hand of your screen.)

I thought you were talking about daily/weekly/monthly scripts that schlonzo was talking about.

• Usuario
    • 7 Abr 2007, 5:16
    I rarely turn off my iBook. Generally, it's left on overnight and througout the day. Only time it gets a reboot is if it starts acting strangely. I also tend to shut it down if I won't be using it for at least 24 hours. Other than that, it's on.

• RagingApe escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Abr 2007, 10:56
    If mine isn't running anything for an extended period, I turn it off. The maintenance tasks will run whenever they're able to - they're not strictly hit/miss. It should be evident in the logs. Furthermore, it's not on an UPS, so I don't want my system beat to hell by brownouts.

• I usually leave my iMac G5 on and only restart if it accumulates too many swap files (usually 6 to 7 or more), or there's a software update. Same goes for my Macbook Pro, although in addition to restarting for updates & excessive swap files, there's also the rare occasion were I've need to restart to get back enough RAM to run Parallels (despite having 2GBs of the stuff).

• koloblix escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Abr 2007, 1:50
    only restarts for changing the OS or systemupdates.

• Vamadeus escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Abr 2007, 6:35
    My mac is typically on all during the day and is off when I transport it (being a Macbook Pro) and at night unless I need it to download something or do another task.

Typically it's not good to turn the computer on and off lots within a short period of time, but you don't want it on 24/7 (unless if it's a server!).

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.