Import lastFM play count into your iTunes library

• lebios escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 Ene 2008, 20:57

Import lastFM play count into your iTunes library

hello scrobbler
    I put online a perl script that grabs a lastFM user tracks play count to update the iTunes library.

So if you just bought an iPod or installed iTunes but have used lastFM for a long time you can have quickly your music count into iTunes.

script url

lg
    note: lastFM weekly charts started around 02/2005 so the script also starts to pull data around that period.

Editado por lebios el 16 Oct 2008, 19:41
  • I, ah.. I can't seem to figure out what do with this.

I followed all of the instructions that Perl and your script gave me, but I keep getting error messages.
    I'm no programmer (I can use my computer; can't do fancy things with it), so I'm relatively baffled by how to do this properly.

Edit: Ohhh. Nevermind. I've been trying to "perl -e" but apparently I was just running the program .pl itself.. derp.

In that case, thank you; this program is brilliant.

blessed with curiosity
  • You're a hero... but I certainly don't know enough about interacting with iTunes or using Perl to get it to work with Leopard. Any ideas as to a similar script for macs, or advice on how to modify your script?

• monotux escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Nov 2008, 10:49
    dotbenjamin sa:
    You're a hero... but I certainly don't know enough about interacting with iTunes or using Perl to get it to work with Leopard. Any ideas as to a similar script for macs, or advice on how to modify your script?

A OS X compatible version of this script would be really AWESOME (-:

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Dic 2008, 9:37
    I keep getting this error when I finally enter it all in.

Unrecognized character \x03 in column 3

What can I do?

• is a mac version available?

thanx

• noltras escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 9 Dic 2008, 17:52
    I would love a mac version too ! thank you !

• em3i3mei escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 3 Feb 2009, 2:09
    osx version please :)

• lebios escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 3 Feb 2009, 20:10
    Hello

A lastFm user is currently porting my my script to mac plateform.
    As soon as it is out, we will inform you.

• DanubeRS escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Feb 2009, 5:05
    I have tried running the script multiple times and although i do have scrobbled tracks, it keeps saying i have:

Statistics of lastFM 2 Itunes run for DanubeRS user account
    - 0 tracks processed
    - 0 tracks skipped iTunes library
    - 0 tracks not found in local iTunes library
    - you have 0 play count on lastFM since 01-06-2008

is this because like your site says:

WARNING: On february 3rd 2009, lastFM encountered issues on their xml generation process. The XML tags were incorrect. So if you run my script you have follwoing message 'Could not get text from tag' because the playcount number is not present as long as some others data They are aware of it and are currently working on it.

or is this a different error?

I opened the script up in notepad and visited the link

here

and it showed weeks as integers

is that problematic?

`>DanubeRS
    • DanubeRS escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Feb 2009, 7:55
    it seems as if i have found a workaround for the current release

i read some talk about the xml generation movinbg to 2.0 or something so i went into the script with notepad and changed both url's from xxx.xxx/xxx/xxx/1.0/xxx/xxx to xxx.xxx/xxx/xxx/2.0/xxx/xxx

imk running the script atm, and it seems to be doing something....so....hope it works!

XD

`>DanubeRS
    • DanubeRS escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Feb 2009, 8:13
    Im uploading the amended script via rapidshare, but it can only be downloaded 10 times.

DL me!!!

`>DanubeRS
    • [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 10 Feb 2009, 16:49
    DanubeRS said:
    it seems as if i have found a workaround for the current release

i read some talk about the xml generation movinbg to 2.0 or something so i went into the script with notepad and changed both url's from xxx.xxx/xxx/xxx/1.0/xxx/xxx to xxx.xxx/xxx/xxx/2.0/xxx/xxx

imk running the script atm, and it seems to be doing something....so....hope it works!

XD

Thanks for the great piece of information DanubeRS. Helped me update my iTunes addon too. We really need to move API 2.0. :(

• lebios escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 10 Feb 2009, 19:44
    Hello everybody,
    last week-end I updated the script to use lastFM xml 2.0 version (which solve the issue of the broken 1.0 XML)
    You can find the latest version of the script (V0.6) here:

lastfm.igrenier.com

lebios

• jonton escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 13 Feb 2009, 17:53
    hey thanks for doing this but a OSX version would be great!

i'm sure there are lots of switchers to mac osx who want to do the same as me and get my playcount up to date!

• amerie321 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Feb 2009, 17:42
    Ok, I keep getting an "invalid class string error" it says "Failed to launch Itunes!" and the script died at line 149

• Eu-Kun escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 27 Feb 2009, 13:20
    Worked like ace. Thanks a lot!

There's a bit problem when a track from an album is featured on a single that is also in your library. But I just removed the singles for it to be fixed. Anyway, thanks again.

• i was thinking in formatting my pc, and losing all playcounts (by the 3rd time) would suck badly..
    BUT THEN, i ofund this thread while googling out, and THAAAAAAAAAAAAAANX dude, you're a lifesaver, brilliant script :DDDD

"O maior prazer de um homem inteligente é bancar o idiota diante de um idiota que banca o inteligente"
  • Coooool!!!

lovely! --- im going to have a look at an OSX version --- should be simple right?!

as its perl and OSX has a perl dev kit --- maybe maybe! hurm! ill have a razzle

Where you invest your love, you invest your life.
    • wert90 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 11 Mar 2009, 18:27
    sam_george said:
    Coooool!!!

lovely! --- im going to have a look at an OSX version --- should be simple right?!

as its perl and OSX has a perl dev kit --- maybe maybe! hurm! ill have a razzle

please please do!

and i like your music taste! im going to have a search on your radio for new music. o i love this site!!

• any news on a mac version yet?

• I just released a similar application, but as a .NET local application and it works with Windows Media Player 11 too, if you're interested.

http://theinstructionlimit.com/?p=146

• Zaknafein3745 said:
    I just released a similar application, but as a .NET local application and it works with Windows Media Player 11 too, if you're interested.

http://theinstructionlimit.com/?p=146

wow! works like a charm. YOU ROCK! YOU ROCK SO MUCH!!

• Mac Version?
    What's the word?

• frrtbkr escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 11 Abr 2009, 15:52
    187Sleepwalker said:
    Mac Version?
    What's the word?

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.