Scrobble music from the Android 'Music' application.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 14 Ago 2009, 11:43

Scrobble music from the Android 'Music' application.

Thought I'd make a post saying there is an application to do exactly what the title says. It's on the market too!

http://code.google.com/p/scrobbledroid/

• Tricey escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Ago 2009, 20:11
    I just updated the app on my Hero, and it says it now supports scrobbling :D

• tradergt escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Ago 2009, 13:37
    yeah, I tested it and it only works well if you have a connection. On the train, I tend to loose a connection sometimes and it does NOT cache. Back to scrobbledroid for scrobbling. :(

• c99koder escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 20 Ago 2009, 16:09
    It should cache your scrobbles and upload them when your network connection returns. Let us know if this is not working and we'll look into the issue. Thanks for the feedback!

• tradergt escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Ago 2009, 16:11
    Its not working for me.. Let me know what I can do to help debug it.

• c99koder escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 20 Ago 2009, 18:13
    We've tracked down the bug and will be releasing an update to correct it shortly.

• tradergt escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Ago 2009, 18:17
    excellent. Thanks.

• Linkable escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Ago 2009, 19:02
    I’ve been on good connection WiFi all night but it doesn’t seem to scrobble my plays on the HTC Hero. Is that the same as tradergt’s issue described above or a different one?

• tradergt escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Ago 2009, 19:37
    actually, I was wrong, its not scrobbling for me either, when I saw it come up as listening, I didnt pay attention that it later never actually "scrobbled"

• c99koder escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 20 Ago 2009, 21:59
    There's a bug that was causing only the first track you play to actually scrobble, the rest just pop up as Now Playing. We're releasing a fix soon.

• Usuario
    • 21 Ago 2009, 10:34
    @c99koder - so will the update scrobble from HTC Hero music app too or is it back to scrobbledroid?

• c99koder escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 21 Ago 2009, 18:01
    The update should scrobble the Hero player as well as the standard Android player. We're going to keep testing the fix over the weekend to make sure we've got the bugs worked out, and should hopefully have a new version on the Marketplace on monday.

• tradergt escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 21 Ago 2009, 19:22
    Also, I tried turning off android music player scrobbling, but wanted to leave on scrobbling itself. (I listen to the stream as well). It still says listening on the site. (but it does not scrobble. Is that right? I was thinking it be like the old version where it just ignored the internal music player..

With that, I noticed that the scrobbler never goes away when I am done listening to the android music player. So when I switched to listen to the last.fm player, it never scrobbled anything.. That seems like a bug too.

If its all tied together, thats fine, just wanted to let you know.

• c99koder escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 22 Ago 2009, 8:12
    Yes, that's all related to the same scrobbler bug. Thanks!

• Usuario
    • 22 Ago 2009, 14:41
    Do you have the app try to load itself at timed intervals if the 'scrobble from music player' option is ticked? I noticed it re-appearing in TasKill a few minuted after I'd killed it, and this bothers me from a resource hogging point of view.

For example: Touch-flo slowed down on my handset over the past 24-48 hours, and after getting TasKill from the marketplace, it seems either the Last.fm or Imeem apps are the likely culprits. Banishing them vanquished the lag.

Doesn't the music player have a startup event you can hook it to? :)

• Usuario
    • 22 Ago 2009, 16:30

Scrub that!

Oh man, even with 'Scrobble Android Player' unticked, this damn application needlessly relaunches itself in the background after x number of minutes.

I've uninstalled it until it's fixed. I'll just reinstall if I ever want to listen to the radio and uninstall immediately afterwards. I'm not having touchflo compromised by apps that load themselves into memory for no good reason. The same goes for imeem. What is it with music apps?

• Scrobble issues with MT3g

Having a great time using the widget - no issues with auto-start like listed above - however I am having the same scrobbling issues. Am I to assume that the upcoming fix/update will work for the MyTouch android os as well? Thanks in advance!

C

• Usuario
    • 23 Ago 2009, 12:21

Battery Power?

According to Scrobbledroid, Scrobbling after each track causes a lot of battery drain.

However, the new last.fm app not only scrobbles after every track it even displays "Listening Now" on your profile page which I assume means that it is constantly scrobbling.

How much does this effect battery life?

• c99koder escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 23 Ago 2009, 18:54
    @fadviral the scrobbler launches in response to changes in your network connection state, in order to submit any scrobbles it has cached while the network was disconnected. If no scrobbles are found in the cache, it schedules itself to be stopped automatically by the Android system.

The player service starts up whenever the app itself is launched, and will hang around for 1 minute of inactivity before stopping itself in case you decide to re-open the app and start a new station. It also gets started if you're running the widget on your home screen, as the widget will occasionally need to query it to get updates. Again, after the player service has been queried by the widget, it will stop itself after 1 minute.

Music apps need to have player services that are separate from the main app in order to keep the music playing while the GUI app is not running. This allows you to multitask on your device, and keeps memory usage down as Android is free to kill the GUI process (which uses most of the RAM) while keeping the player service (which uses minimal RAM) running.

Edit: It does appear that the radio widget keeps the player service running. This is something we will address in the future, but it will require rewriting major portions of the app so it will have to be addressed in a later update.

Editado por c99koder el 23 Ago 2009, 22:10
    • c99koder escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 23 Ago 2009, 19:00

Re: Battery Power?

@BrummieSteven yes, keeping the network data connection open every time a track is scrobbled will affect your battery life.

We will look into adding options to only send scrobbles when the screen is on, or after a delay, in future versions of the app.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Usuario
    • 23 Ago 2009, 19:34

Scrobbling

I think it would be better to do it how scrobbledroid does it:

- Scrobble only when music has stopped playing for a considerable amount of time (IE the user has stopped listening to the tracks) or after 50 tracks have been played.

Or at least have an option for that.

• andykiff escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Sep 2009, 17:52

Fix?

Any word on the bug fix? I'm guessing it hasn't happened yet as my phone's stopped scrobbling after the first track (only over the last few days).

• Tricey escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Sep 2009, 12:40
    Scrobbling from my android player and last.fm app seems to be working for me now.

• Termedea escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Sep 2009, 22:39
    Working nicely for me on my hero. Sweet app :)

Close your eyes but stay awake
    They are trying to crawl inside your head
  • how many songs will it store in cache at max? say if i'm on a long plane ride or something similar and have no data but listen to the music player. Will it keep in cache up to 100 songs or more?

On the scrobble droid I think it was 50? Correct me if I am wrong.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.