What Album Got You Started?

• gautam3 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Abr 2007, 2:42

What Album Got You Started?

What jazz album turned you into a jazz lover? Everyone should remember the first important album they listened to...which isn't necessarily the first.

The First I Listened To:

A Love Supreme, John Coltrane

The One That Made Me the Jazz Fanatic I Am:

The Birth of the Cool, Miles Davis

gautam
    • digya escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Abr 2007, 9:39

definitely monk

i can't remember precisely which album it was, but i KNOW that Thelonious Monk was the one who made me understand jazz was my music.
    I particularly remember The Man I Love with Miles Davis, though it's not the first one I heard. The LP's still in my discotheque.

• Not album but song.

The process of morphing into a jazz lover was gradual... started when I was 11 and got serious a couple of years later. I can't quite remember which was the first jazz album I listened to, or the one that made me a jazz fanatic!

I would have to say 'Round Midnight was the first song I really loved.

• my first album

at first i got into jimi hendrixs jazz fusion stuff. then i got into jamie cullum and norah jones. then i went out and found john coltrane and miles davis. i aint a pure jazz lover i try n mix jazz with other styles in my music, manly blues and hip hop.

Richard Marklew
    • Benjieman escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 9 May 2007, 20:51
    I grew up listening to rock music, so when I started listening to jazz, it was the Fusion stuff I listened to first. Bitches Brew was the album that got me thinking about it, and from there I went back and discovered the more traditional styles of jazz.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 May 2007, 10:30
    Some Louis Armstrong compilation.

• nhnk escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 May 2007, 17:44
    The first jazz song I loved was Take Five by Dave Brubeck. Then his whole album: Time Out (1959) - and due to it started my adventure with jazz : )
    But the first jazz album I listened to was Dinah Washington - Mad ABout The Boy - but that time (I was about 13) I didn't know what music it was - I just really enjoyed it.

for the jazz...
    • Usuario
    • 21 May 2007, 12:42
    the first jazz album i ran into was Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis, love at first (and last, i hope) hearing :). first song.. dave brubeck, take five.

• Usuario
    • 22 May 2007, 20:54
    Being a bass player, Mingus was the first one I got into... and after that it was a lot more artists.
    The first album then, Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots.

• ukh escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 27 May 2007, 9:09
    The one album that got me curious about jazz was Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters, which in strange ways led me on to both fusion and cool jazz. I'm really still a newbie though.

• John Coltrane - Blue Train

• alroirm escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 2 Jun 2007, 2:05

First albums

Kind of Blue (Miles Davis) and Maiden Voyage (Herbie Hancock). The first one is the album that made me love jazz...

• Usuario
    • 7 Jun 2007, 23:44
    The first jazz album I heard was by Duke Ellington, but I didn't start to love jazz until Kind of Blue (Miles Davis). I think I've listened to that album 1,000 times, and it's still fresh.

• stevo65 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Jun 2007, 22:52
    As a 16 year old I heard an album by Stephane Grapelli with the guitarist Martin Taylor. I think my brother had bought it for my Dad - I hadn't heard jazz much but eventhough it was probably not the best album that either of those guys had recorded, it was then that I realised what was going on with jazz - on the spot invention! I was knocked out that people could do that and make it sound so effortless. After that, it was most of the albums everyone else has mentioned that swept me up (Kind of Blue, Love Supreme, Bop-be).

• Usuario
    • 18 Jun 2007, 17:13
    Mr Bungle - Disco Volante

:O

• Usuario
    • 14 Jul 2007, 17:10
    "Kind of Blue" got me started, "Milestones" made me a fanatic.

• mike sterns “give & take” then i was stuck

Editado por salkiniklas el 14 Feb 2012, 10:22
  • i started with Louis Amstrong and django reinhardt old vynils.

• glgray escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 25 Jul 2007, 23:52
    The Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" was the first several years ago. I just can't get enough jazz now. :-)

• My First Jazz.....

I first began thinking about jazz when I was listening to Beatles, but the first jazz album that got me into jazz properly would have to be Outbound by the Flecktones.

• kylis escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 30 Jul 2007, 20:31
    Lee Konitz: Motion... I came by an old vinyl copy of it just by chance.

And Brubeck, too.

• kaiserm escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Ago 2007, 10:30

My First Jazz-Album...

... was Travels by Pat Metheny. And I still love it.

http://www.faunistik.de/
    ------------------------
    Informationen zu den Laufkäfern Westfalens
    informations on carabid beetles in Germany
    • paulgray escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 5 Ago 2007, 22:47
    I think it was Workin' by Miles Davis..
    It is still one of my favourite records :)

• Yeah with John Coltrane ,Red Garland,Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones.I think the Dave Brubeck's cover and"trane's blues"are greats.
    Cookin' and steamin'are not bad too.

• I was raised on Rock, moved to Prog Rock then eventually came to Soft Machine. The first hard Jazz records that nailed me were: ZOOT SIMS QUARTET(on the CADET label) and JAZZ COMPOSER'S WORKSHOP (an early Charles Mingus album on the BYG label). I listened to them over and over again until they were worn out. I've since replaced them on CD and vinyl.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.