Last book you bought?

• chbosky_ escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Nov 2009, 20:31

Last book you bought?

They have a thread like this in the horror movies group, so I thought I might add one here. :)

What is the last book you bought, and why did you buy it? (recommended? the cover appealed? whatever)

The last book I bought was 'Tender Is The Night' by F. Scott Fitzgerald, because I enjoyed 'The Great Gatsby', plus it was only £1! :)

• prsoje escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Nov 2009, 22:09
    Zaboravljena gora (Forgotten mountain) - Milisav Popović

It's about mythical creatures of ancient Slavs . I got interested in that subject recently, because they were people who existed for milleniums and very little is known about them.

• Goonz escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Nov 2009, 22:55
    Great topic !

I buy books all the time, mainly because I just need to have my own copy, no matter used or new, and If I'm reading works written in English I don't want a translation :)

Today I bought "The firm" by John Grisham, "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz and "The Fog" by James Herbert at an used book store. My to-university trips will be fun thanks to these puppies.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Nov 2009, 23:08
    J S Le Fanu's Carmilla.

• Kundera's Immortality, New Atlantis by Francis Bacon and Sabato's The Tunnel

• rloze escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 21 Nov 2009, 13:13
    The last i bought were Paysages humains by Nazin Hikmet (belle poésie) and A people's history of american empire by Howard Zinn

• Free: The Future of a Radical Price by Chris Anderson. Of course, on a strictly first-in, first-out, principle there is not way of telling when I'll actually get around to reading it. :-)

I'll Listen To Anything Once
    • Usuario
    • 21 Nov 2009, 22:25
    hmmm... I guess the last one was "Marina" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

• chbosky_ escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 21 Nov 2009, 22:29
    Today I bought "The firm" by John Grisham, "Forever Odd" by Dean Koontz and "The Fog" by James Herbert at an used book store. My to-university trips will be fun thanks to these puppies.

'The Fog' is quite a horrific book haha, good read though. :)

• Usuario
    • 21 Nov 2009, 22:49
    I bought the Cutler series by V.C. Andrews off ebay, but I expect they are crappy. My local libraries didn't have them. I will be selling them on ebay as soon as I'm through.

• Goonz escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 21 Nov 2009, 22:58
    chbosky_ said:

'The Fog' is quite a horrific book haha, good read though. :)

Well I hope it is ! ;)

"Tender is the Night" on the other hand I found a little tedious and meandering, but I've read it a couple of years ago. Still a good book though a little too long.

• Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 4:36
    I don't know THE FOG? What is the premise for this book?

• Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 5:20
    James Joyce - Ulysses. I'm thinking about getting Tender is the Night
    next week; hopefully it's not as difficult as Gatsby. . .

• Goonz escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 10:13
    Jester-US said:

"In an exclusive private school, students sexually assaulted and mutilated their teachers, then savagely turned on one another... At a seaside resort, thousands of people joined in a monstrous act of self-destruction... In a lonely room, an old lady was shredded and eaten by her beloved pet cats... In the city, mass copulation and insane slaying spread. Time was running out for mankind..." - from the cover. I'm halfway through itt and it's a pretty good horror story.

• Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 10:44
    Goonz, Thank you. I think I may have too look into that for myself. Sounds like my kind of read.

• Goonz escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 11:50
    No prob. I can also recommend "Haunted" by the same author, a novel about the haunted house, quite original and riveting.

• Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 14:28
    Roger Vailland- 325 000 francs
    Français Bon- Daewoo

• prsoje escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 14:33
    Jester-US said:

it's a military experiment gone wrong. people in the FOG can turn suicidal or super violent. richard laymon copied herebert in the book One Rainy Night. the only difference is that instead of fog, he used black rain.

• Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 14:55
    prsoje said:
    Jester-US said:

it's a military experiment gone wrong. people in the FOG can turn suicidal or super violent. richard laymon copied herebert in the book One Rainy Night. the only difference is that instead of fog, he used black rain.

That actually sounds really cool.

• unt0ten escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 20:07
    Сергей Алексеев "Сокровища Валькирии", всем советую.

Мы - лучшие!!! ©
    • wotRand escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2009, 22:40
    Philip Kotler and Fernando Trias de Bes - "Lateral Marketing". I've bought it because I'm interested in the field and because i know that Kotler has some cool ideas about the future of marketing :)

• Goonz escribió:
    Jester-US said:

"In an exclusive private school, students sexually assaulted and mutilated their teachers, then savagely turned on one another... At a seaside resort, thousands of people joined in a monstrous act of self-destruction... In a lonely room, an old lady was shredded and eaten by her beloved pet cats... In the city, mass copulation and insane slaying spread. Time was running out for mankind..." - from the cover. I'm halfway through itt and it's a pretty good horror story.

The first part sounds a bit like the game "Obscure".

"Je suis la plaie et le couteau"
  • "Churches and cathedrals" a gorgeous book about christian architecture and art, and "Gritos y susurros" by visual artist Alfredo Jaar, whom I love. I bought these books because I had been after them for a while and they were really cheap at the Santiago International Book Fair.
    That day I also purchased "Extension du domaine de la lutte" by Houellebecq, because it had been ages since I had found anything by him, and a book of short essays by Kapuscinski, along with the first volume of the comic "Misty Circus" by Victoria Frances.
    At the end, I bought all these books because I had been after them for a while, they were all at the same place and the price was really attractive.

"Je suis la plaie et le couteau"
    • Usuario
    • 23 Nov 2009, 15:52
    General Idea of the Revolution in the Nineteenth Century , by Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

• Today I bought Zodia Indragostitilor ( original: Ma le stelle quante sono) by Giulia Carcasi and Slam by Nick Hornby
    * my next book I'll buy will be a Coelho's one*

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.