Lesser-known artist suggestions

• iamjason escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 25 Sep 2004, 2:58

Lesser-known artist suggestions

Anyone have any related artist suggestions? I'm most interested in sort of obscure ones.

• zoeoz escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 27 Sep 2004, 21:28

Two suggestions

1) Autechre. Why? This review speaks to it pretty well (I didn't write it, btw).

2) Frank Black. Why?
    His catalog includes songs about space travel, Area 51, terraforming Mars, Pong, the Three Stooges, Ray Bradbury, etc.

Not sure if they're as obscure as you're going for though... ;)

• for those americans over the sea ;-)

i think deus is not well known in the usa (they toured there in 1997, i think).
    but they are worth a try. really.

here a review of their last full album in 1999.
    and here: their homepage

Editado por jonas_jonas el 27 Sep 2004, 23:40
  • to complete

the nerd core triumvirate*
    you must add MC frontalot
    this being his website
    with a nearly full discography available free

*{the triumvirate being: MC Chris, MC Paul Barman, and MC frontalot.}

• scarebear escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Oct 2004, 22:50
    [wish I could delete]

I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

Check out the new group If The Illuminati Creeps You Out..., where you can see morphs of musicians, because I have nowhere else to put them. Also, feel free to check my mix (soon to be mixes) on 8tracks.com. Especially good if you don't know what you want to listen to.
    Editado por scarebear el 24 Feb 2006, 2:50
  • Nowhere Squares is a great lesser known band and would fit very well into "Geek music"

NESkimo is also a good band, they're an NES metal cover band, it's alot different and alot more organized than other NES cover bands (The Advantage, The Minibosses)

• amaiman escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Oct 2004, 1:52
    NESkimo sounds pretty cool (also liked The Advantage and The Minibosses, although the Minibosses sounded off-key to me).

NESkimo makes their music freely available:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/neskimosmusic.htm

• Optimus Rhyme. They're a Seattle hip-hop group who rap about Transformers.

• scarebear escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 Oct 2004, 4:50
    [once again, wish I could delete]

Check out the new group If The Illuminati Creeps You Out..., where you can see morphs of musicians, because I have nowhere else to put them. Also, feel free to check my mix (soon to be mixes) on 8tracks.com. Especially good if you don't know what you want to listen to.
    Editado por scarebear el 24 Feb 2006, 2:51
    • thisfred escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Oct 2004, 16:39

People Like Us

I'd add 'People Like Us'. Not for everybody, but definitely geekworthy. Their newest album is freely downloadable on:

http://www.peoplelikeus.org/

and if youy like that, I'd suggest ordering the DVD-rom with some 24 hours of mp3s for a mere 16 euros or so. I did, and I love it. Sometimes compared to 'Negativland', (with which PLU has collaborated) which also has a place in this group, I think.

I started an artist group for PLU as well.

"Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology..."
    • thisfred escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Oct 2004, 16:41

Re:

Quoth VictorVonDoom:
    Optimus Rhyme. They're a Seattle hip-hop group who rap about Transformers.

Reminds me of the new-zealand based Deceptikonz. They don't rap exclusively about transformers though.

• thisfred escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Oct 2004, 16:42

Re:

whoops. submitted the above twice by using a back button. Suppose that means I have to turn in my geek card.

Editado por thisfred el 19 Oct 2004, 16:46
    • ausmus escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 21 Oct 2004, 3:34
    Kompressor

He's does industrial, but sings about fun stuff like crushing the inferior with synthesizer might, plus he did a collab with the previously mentioned MC Frontalot.

• dfitzger escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 27 Oct 2004, 5:44
    Tilly & The Wall

Background beats are provided by a tap dancer.

• Desi escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Nov 2004, 6:35
    Have you ever listened to The Mooney Suzuki? I like them a lot.

• JaredPaul escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 29 Nov 2004, 3:12
    check out bumblefoot. he is incredible.

• Desi escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 29 Nov 2004, 17:25
    Eagles of Death Metal

Editado por Desi el 29 Nov 2004, 17:26
    • Omnius escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Dic 2004, 22:31
    I like Reset. They are one of the few bands that "made it big", though I think they really gave up a lot when they did so. They actually changed their name when they became famous, and since then, I found I don't really like them.

If you're curious about what the band is called, a Google for "reset" should do.

• [i post too often]

Editado por scarebear el 24 Feb 2006, 2:52
    • jreinsch escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 14 Dic 2004, 2:42
    The Residents
    Atom & his Package
    Renaldo and the Loaf

• rjsjr escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Dic 2004, 22:07
    Evolution Control Committee. Listen to Plagiarhythm Nation 2.0 to start, especially something like
    I Want a Cookie
    (good angsty coding song for work). There are plenty more sounds to download from their website.

MC Chris - especially Fette's Vette. What's more geek than songs about Star Wars? Bonus points for showing up in an espisode of Sealab 2021 and the crazy anime video.

Kompressor - ditto the earlier suggestion

Captured by Robots - better as a live show, but still fun. Think what would happen if the animatronics at Chuck E Cheese went insane and took a geek with pretentions at musical skills captive?

Gold Chains - only moderately geeky, but fun music. Love the video for I Come From San Francisco with the party on BART.

• Definitely add atom & his package.

This is VERY obscure, but there's a "band" called 386 DX that is certainly geek music but might lack other qualifications... ie, it's some guy who used software to transform popular songs into old-fashioned computer noises, with a stephen hawking type voice doing the vocals. He did put out a couple albums worth of material though.

On a less obscure note, how about frank zappa, and talking heads?

Also, "the braindead monkeys." they make frequent video game and anime references, and did a cover of the inspector gadget theme song.

Editado por RoboLuncheon el 20 Dic 2004, 5:35
    • Rompa escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 Ene 2005, 17:18
    Pavement always seemed a bit nerdy to me. Steve West with his glasses and frizzy ginger hair, Bob with his awful dress sense, Malkmus for singing about Yul Brynner, Mark Ibold for the hair and bad posture, and Spiral Stairs, well, he has a silly name. The Major Leagues video has wrestling in it and Carrot Rope is just plain silly with those big yellow raincoats. Hehe, just realised that Mark kind of looks like Charlie Brown. Freaky.

• pavement is more about being a "cool" underground indie band than about being nerdy. part of the definition for geek music should be the ability to sacrifice conventional coolness for the sake of nerd appeal.

• coldphage escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Ene 2005, 9:55
    When I code, it's with Infected Mushroom.

When I think of computer games, I think of Machinae Supremacy.

Those are what I would suggest.

Hope they're new to the forum. I just joined the group now.

-CP

return to the megastructure
Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.