Movie of the Week: The Tree of Life (10/16/11)-(10/22/11)

• arilitt escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 Oct 2011, 18:16

Movie of the Week: The Tree of Life (10/16/11)-(10/22/11)

I havent seen The Tree of Life, and I dont want to know anything about it before I watch it. All I know is that Brad Pitt and Sean Penn are in the movie.

The Tree of Life was made by Terrence Malik who has made several GREAT movies. My favorite movies by Malik are The Badlands which is loosely based on the real-life murder spree of Charles Starkweather and his girlfriend, Caril Ann Fugate, in 1958. It stars Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek. And The Thin Red Line is a movie set in World War 2 which focuses more on the emotion and mental state of the soliders involved than the actual war.

Post what you think of The Tree of Life or other Malick films.

I want to taste dirty, stinging pistol
    In my mouth, on my tongue
    I want you to scrape me from the walls
    And go crazy like you've made me
  • days of heaven was visually beautiful but irritating.

im the best ever. my style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and im just ferocious, i want your heart, i wanna eat your children. praise be to allah.

-tyson
    • arilitt escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Oct 2011, 13:39
    last_night said:
    days of heaven was visually beautiful but irritating.

I do need to check that one out.

I want to taste dirty, stinging pistol
    In my mouth, on my tongue
    I want you to scrape me from the walls
    And go crazy like you've made me
  • It was being nodded for possible Oscar nomination earlier in the year but from what I gather, seems to have disappointed. Although I still really want to see it. It gets played at my student cinema on the 4th of December, so I don't really have anything constructive to say until then except to ask: why did Terrence Malick just go missing for 20 years (1978-98)?

• JOJOFACE escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 30 Oct 2011, 1:40
    I saw this in a little art theatre in downtown Denver earlier this year. It was a really extraordinarily beautiful and real movie. It deals with really heavy subjects and it doesn't take them lightly. It shows you the ugliness of life that we all see but never talk about. It's a really amazing adventure with some phenomenal performances and some of the most beautiful shots ever put on film, but I don't think I would watch it again for a couple years or more. It's... really heavy.

Go see it.

• i have this downloaded on my computer but i havent found myself in the right mood to watch it. ill get to it soon though.

• i finally got round to watching this. i don't think the tree of life is necessarily thematically heavy in the way films like the road are, it's more stylistically heavy - i guess inspiring the same sense of unease you may get out of art movements such as cubism, and out of films by david lynch or stanley kubrick (or even david firth).

it is worth pointing out that the tree of life is incredibly abstract, and shouldn't really be viewed as the classical linear narrative that most stories revolve around. (for this reason, it was never going to appeal to wide audiences.) dialogue is rare and there is little plot to explain. the film is incredibly abstract, and covers the duality of grace and ruthlessness, joy and sadness and, as the name implies, has a heavy focus on the creation of life, contrasting this to the way the cosmos formed (hence implying religious creation).

it's difficult to watch, but somewhat rewarding nonetheless. if it's hard to engage with the themes, it's visually beautiful. i wouldn't give it another viewing though.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.