Last.fm Desktop Application Beta (2012)

• ...a question from another thread, but this seems like an excellent place to ask:

Will this app support iTunes Wi-Fi syncs?

• StudleyUK escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 15 Feb 2012, 19:55
    Haven't had a chance to do much with the new app yet, but here are a handful of small graphical display glitches -

(1) If you have Recent Stations which include ampersands (e.g. Simon & Garfunkel artist radio) then these aren't rendered correctly in the station history. Presumably other ascii characters suffer the same problem. (Example launch URL from the website: here) {Screenshot}

(2) On the Radio tab, typing an artist name containing an ampersand and hitting Enter (or pressing Play) doesn't always seem to start a station. "Simon & Garfunkel" or "Emerson, Lake & Palmer" for example. "Florence & The Machine" works (redirects to Florence + The Machine, so I suspect the redirection is causing it to succeed!)

(3) If you try to launch a deprecated station (playlist, loved tracks, personal tag) or if you launch a station from RQL, it appears in the Recent Stations list with a blank station name. Empty station names should probably be excluded, for consistency with the website player. {Screenshot}

(4) RQL URLs do tune correctly, but no station name is displayed in the header - it just says "Listening to ...." - in this scenario it should probably just say "A radio station" for consistency with the website. {Screenshot}

(5) On the Profile tab, the scrobble-count stats are displayed in a dull plain font, can they look a bit more like the artist stats are formatted? {Screenshot}

(6) The menu options for Volume Up and Volume Down don't seem to do anything, nor do the keyboard shortcuts work. Interestingly the Mute option/shortcut works fine though. (Windows 7 Ultimate)

(7) The shortcuts for Ban (Ctrl-B), Tag (Ctrl-T) and Share (Ctrl-S) don't seem to work for me, although they work fine when accessed via the menu. (Windows 7 Ultimate)

(8) When adding another user account via the Tools menu, the popup confirmation prior to proceeding to the website has a messagebox title of "Last". You lost an FM

(9) In the track progress bar, the scrobbling cut-off indicator line often jumps wildly between songs. The problem is impacted the further along the cut-off is set (it's hardly visible when set to 50%, but quite evident if you set it to 90%). It shouldn't be moving at all - 90% is 90% regardless of the track length. {Screenshot}

(10) There's no option to enable/disable scrobbling from within the main client. You have to either right-click the tray icon, or go into the Tools menu. I really miss the old toggle on/off option in the client itself, the others are a bit unwieldy if I just want to stop the current song from scrobbling without skipping it.

Needless to say, it is looking awesome and I'm only doing my job :)

Editado por StudleyUK el 15 Feb 2012, 20:34
  • crash

had a crash shortly after installation. it was trying to find spotifiy which i don't have. clicked cancel and then it crashed.

was a bad access. 14 and 15 should be where it happened.

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000001

VM Regions Near 0x1:
    -->
    __TEXT 0000000100000000-00000001001b9000 [ 1764K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Last.fm.app/Contents/MacOS/Last.fm

Application Specific Information:
    objc_msgSend() selector name: performSelector:withObject:
    objc[1294]: garbage collection is OFF
    Performing @selector(cancel:) from sender NSButton 0x1098471a0

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff93f0ee96 objc_msgSend + 22
    1 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff96d8ecb2 -[NSApplication sendAction:to:from:] + 139
    2 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff96d8ebe6 -[NSControl sendAction:to:] + 88
    3 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff96d8eb11 -[NSCell _sendActionFrom:] + 137
    4 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff96d8dfd4 -[NSCell trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:] + 2014
    5 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff96e0dd04 -[NSButtonCell trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:] + 489
    6 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff96d8cbde -[NSControl mouseDown:] + 786
    7 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff96d576e0 -[NSWindow sendEvent:] + 6306
    8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff96cf016d -[NSApplication sendEvent:] + 5593
    9 QtGui 0x00000001007f4382 -[QNSApplication sendEvent:] + 82
    10 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff96c861f2 -[NSApplication run] + 555
    11 QtGui 0x00000001007fd590 QEventDispatcherMac::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) + 840
    12 QtCore 0x00000001005b78a8 QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) + 394
    13 QtCore 0x00000001005baa73 QCoreApplication::exec() + 175
    14 fm.last.Last.fm 0x0000000100022eae main + 542
    15 fm.last.Last.fm 0x0000000100006914 start + 52

• StudleyUK escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 15 Feb 2012, 20:38
    Started another post to avoid (or aid) confusion

(11) Normally the Now Playing tooltip has two lines (header = artist/track, followed by a line for the album) but if the first line is very long, the tooltip gains an extra blank line. {Screenshot}

(12) If I'm listening to the artist radio of an artist I've not listened to before (e.g. Slipknot), tracks by other unplayed artists display with the context "Recommended because you listen to Slipknot" - which doesn't make sense really because I've not listened to Slipknot. It's actually recommended because it is a similar artist to Slipknot, but it's making an assumption about my having listened to Slipknot. {Screenshot}

I'll see if I can find anything else later, right now I'm just enjoying the music :)

• rwitte escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 15 Feb 2012, 20:56
    Hey my favourite group station (which contains a '+') now plays normally - I don't need Studley's magic RQL anymore (PS welcome back, Neil) (PPS I showed the link to tburney and maddieman which caused some excitement because they hadn't seen an RQL station with a name before).

Also it appears my earlier fears about maximum volume were groundless

However I do get notable pauses before each track (circa 10 seconds)

• cerisier escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 Feb 2012, 21:00
    I'm not sure if this was posted, but every time I skip a track while playing my radio the audio stops, yet the app looks like it's playing a track. To get it to work I have to press pause and then play. Using Mac OS X Lion.

• Zarggg escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 Feb 2012, 21:01
    Quick update on not being able to scrobble iPod tracks. I forgot to post logfiles before:
    iPodScrobbler.log
    iTunesPlugin.log

I do not use automatic syncing and specified the "I manually manage my iPod" option when scrobbling in the previous version of the Last.fm client.

If you notice that a track I've scrobbled has wrong data, please send me a message with the correct info.
    • StudleyUK escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 15 Feb 2012, 21:05
    The client just sent through a double-scrobble for Spaceman (here's proof). Details may or may not be gleaned from here.

• Skiye escribió...
    • Event Moderator
    • 15 Feb 2012, 21:29
    volume slider got stuck, had to exit and reopen.

• HotShot! escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 Feb 2012, 21:46

Crash in tray...

Last.fm app crashes in the windows tray. I ran Winamp but didn't play any music. Last.fm icon appeared in tray and after I finished changing winamp skins (about 5mins) I tried to exit the app with right-click and the menu appeared black and crashed.

Happened two times in two days.

HotShot!

• rwitte escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 15 Feb 2012, 22:01
    Unknown Error: (0x800C0008): 101

• chris_h90 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 Feb 2012, 22:06
    Didn't scrobble my iPod plays at all so lost around 120 plays which is a shame. Not sure if it's still somewhere in this version but it would be good to have the option to scrobble the iPod yourself like the old version had under Help>Diagnostics>iPod Scrobbling>Scrobble iPod

• snyde1 escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 16 Feb 2012, 3:35
    All-in-all, I like the changes. Mostly, I've just left the application playing, and don't play with the buttons. (Other than skip/ban.)

Pluses
    - pause button!!
    - better information (you have/haven't scrobbled this, like a million times, X listeners, Y plays)
    - passwordless security!

Minuses (or I'm missing these somewhere)
    - RQL stations don't show in history of radios
    - diagnostics gone (I see the scrobbles screen but does it show what hasn't been sent to the server?)
    - stop button gone

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • Three things

Not sure if these items have been addressed but here they are:

(Mac user)

1. The bouncing red arrow pointing to the task tray at the top of the screen in the introductory steps blocks the copy in the tour so you can't actually read it.

2. You can no longer hide the application in the Dock

3. It would be great if it were possible to have the client play on airport express speakers

• percy74 said:
    However, I was hoping for some added functionality in version 2: things like multi-artist and multi-tag radios, tag-filtering, a mainstream/obscure slider, the return of Discovery Mode, and boolean controls. And how about global hotkeys? Are any of these features in the works?
    Same question from me, as I have not installed the new client yet. I'm especially interested in the mainstream/obscure slider or any other method to set it to my preferred listening habits.

• geddy1001 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Feb 2012, 7:05
    Looks great, but Im having the issue of it not scrobbling on Windows XP Sp3...which is a bummer becausae that is what I listen to a majority of my music on

• th80 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Feb 2012, 8:14

Media Button Support

This is a nice piece of software. You improved the old desktop client a lot. Thank you for that.

But what I would really like to see is media button support (on windows). Play/Pause/Skip-Buttons on notebooks and media keyboards should be supported.

• piouPiouM escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Feb 2012, 9:41

Spotify mapping

Can you stop asking the location of Spotify application at each startup? I do not use it.

Edit: under OSX 10.6.8

Thx.

Editado por piouPiouM el 16 Feb 2012, 18:09
  • Multiple disc album

Would LOVE if Scrobbler grabbed the disc number data from iTunes, would help keep track listings correct.

For example: To Venus and Back is a 2 disc album. 11 tracks on Disc 1, 13 tracks on Disc 2. The track listing seems to have picked up the last two tracks from Disc 2 tacked on after the first 11 from Disc 1.

• minipark escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Feb 2012, 11:09

Tagging

Little feature request: After tagging something it would be nice if one could close the tagging window by hitting Enter. It worked in the old version.

• fatalyti escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Feb 2012, 12:03
    hjbardenhagen said:
    percy74 said:
    However, I was hoping for some added functionality in version 2: things like multi-artist and multi-tag radios, tag-filtering, a mainstream/obscure slider, the return of Discovery Mode, and boolean controls. And how about global hotkeys? Are any of these features in the works?
    Same question from me, as I have not installed the new client yet. I'm especially interested in the mainstream/obscure slider or any other method to set it to my preferred listening habits.

Yeah, a mainstream/obscure slider would be interesting.
    I'd also appreciate some kind of integration of www.last.fm/discover as another tab.

sing, sing.
    • geddy1001 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Feb 2012, 16:35

No iPod Shuffle scrobbling or association?

To add onto my previous post where I am not about to scrobble directly from my laptop, Im also unable to get my iPod shuffle to "associate", therefore not able to scrobble from it either :(

• viper7070 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Feb 2012, 19:14

Scrobbles - Looping

If I try to scrobble a song that's looping, it only goes through once, even if I manually restart the song.

I was using Winamp.

• Also seeing the crash when cancelling 'Where's Spotify?'

Using MacOSX Lion.

I also do not use Spotify,and when I clicked 'Cancel' on the 'Where's Spotify?' window a Microsoft update tried to run. At this point the app crashed. I have the error report and a Charles session capturing this if that's any help, although it looks like it's not hard to reproduce.

On second launch (and after installing the Microsoft update for error reporting) I cancelled the 'Where's Spotify?' window and it was fine.
    ----
    After launching successfully, I clicked the 'Open iTunes' button. This did indeed open iTunes, but the last.fm app icon disappeared from the dock when I did this, despite still being open, which seems a bit odd considering the app window is still open.
    ----
    I have an entry in my scrobbles list that says 'You've listened to [unknown] 0 times, but not this track.'

I'm aware I could have an artist as 'Unknown' in my mp3 collection, but it doesn't make sense saying that I've listened to them '0 times' and then to say 'but not this track'. (And why would it have scrobbled something I've not listened to?)

Also had 'You've listened to Prong 0 times, but not this track.', and a bunch of others.
    ----
    When listening to my recommended radio, a lot of the time the artist details took a hell of a long time to load, whilst others were pretty much instant. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the size of the content, so it seems odd.
    ----
    It'd be amazing if you could prevent it from playing Christmas tracks on you recommended radio if it's not Christmas. I would also like the moon on a stick with that ;)
    ----
    Also, where's the Facebook app gone? Selecting 'Go to app' from the app Facebook page just lands you on the last.fm home page.

Editado por jocclepossum el 16 Feb 2012, 21:29
    • djryan escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 16 Feb 2012, 20:33
    I've exactly the same problem here.

Zarggg said:
    Quick update on not being able to scrobble iPod tracks. I forgot to post logfiles before:
    iPodScrobbler.log
    iTunesPlugin.log

I do not use automatic syncing and specified the "I manually manage my iPod" option when scrobbling in the previous version of the Last.fm client.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.