Music similar to Agalloch / Empyrium?

• cuber3 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Ene 2009, 1:51

Music similar to Agalloch / Empyrium?

I think Agalloch and Empyrium are both pretty unique bands, but also among my favorite.
    I wonder if there is any similar music out there?
    It doesn't necessarily have to be metal, dark folk/classical and such would be okay as well.
    I just want it to be melancholic, atmospheric and sweeping if possible.

The only similar band (to Agalloch) I've found so far is a Russian band called The Morningside.

Any other similar bands, or other great melancholic music?

• oneiris escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Ene 2009, 9:23
    Try Kauan. They play a similar style to both bands. Also, you might be interested in Uaral.

• Oroshii escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Ene 2009, 17:23
    Kauan and Uaral are good ;).

Maybe October Falls and Wolves in the Throne Room? These are more black metal.

Alcest is quite melancholic too, kinda shoegaze rock (last album only : Souvenirs d'un autre Monde)

• oneiris escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Ene 2009, 17:48
    Yeah, those bands are pretty similar.

You might also want to try out Vàli if you like neo folk. Really relaxing guitar music.

• Tobeman1 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 6 Ene 2009, 23:08
    If you like Agalloch, you'll probably like Fen. very atmospheric and post-rockish black metal. They're putting out a new album in some days (which i'm eagerly awaiting...)

• Correct me if I'm wrong but Malediction Fields by Fen is already out.
    Do try Dolorian's self titled album. No folk here, but it can't be categorized as a specific genre either.

• Oh yes, I'm surprised no one mentioned Woods of Ypres

• You should listen to Vindensång, Agalloch & Neo-Folk influences can be found in his multi-layered music.

• Matth_s escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 21 May 2009, 11:35
    You can try Falls of Rauros, I think they sound like a mix between Agalloch and Wyrd, the result is pretty good.

I second Calm_Tempest about Woods of Ypres. I don't think they really "sound" like Agalloch, but the feeling in the music is the same. Agalloch and Woods of Ypres are my 2 favorite bands because of that.

• A totally underrated German band called Bergthron

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Feb 2011, 13:25
    I completely agree with the mentioning of Fen.

Probably the most underrated, yet similar band I can think of is Aquilus.

If you're looking for a similar atmosphere, but not necessarily a very similar sound, I'd most certainly recommend you listen to Dornenreich, or De Arma (they've a split with Fen coming out soon!)

• In addition to a lot of the bands mentioned already, I'd say try Bethlehem and Gallowbraid for dark metal. For dark neo-folk, I'd recommend Alethes, Carved in Stone, Drudkh, Liholesie, Neun Welten, Of the Wand and the Moon, Svafnir, and Tenhi.

I would also suggest the compilation albums "Der Wanderer Über Dem Nebelmeer" and "Whom the Moon a Nightsong Sings" (they have some songs by artists already mentioned, as well as quite a few others).

• Gallowbraid "last.fm/music/gallowbraid".
    Listen to "Ashen Eidolon" on youtube or something.
    This is without doubt the most similar band/artist to Agalloch.
    Though it's so similar that people call it rip-off.

Check out my Dark Ambient project:
    http://www.last.fm/music/reverentia
    • Pillorian escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 May 2012, 14:25
    You should check out Le Lendemain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cB1S-bf5Nw

“I linger yet with Nature, for the night hath been to me a more familiar face than that of man; and in her starry shade of dim and solitary loveliness, I learn’d the language of another world.”
  • Primordial !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-clZE39CI&feature=related[/youtube]

Inexpressible catharsis.
    Feel it!

• This is awesome

• Cranigen escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 21 Mar 2013, 14:52
    More doomy but very beautiful and atmospheric

• Guys, why you forget great austrian band Estatic Fear? They mixes doom, black and folk like Agalloch. And also of course Ulver: their first album "Bergtatt El Capitel" is very similar on Agalloch and their second album "Kveldssanger" is very similar on Empyrium.

Поверхностен тот, кто считает себя глубокомыслящим. (Э. Ремарк)
  • And other bands, who didnt mention yet are Mar de Grises, they were played progressive doom with post rock influence on their album "Draining the Waterheart", and In the Woods band, their album "Omnio" similar on first album Agaloch. Italian band Void of Silence mixes doom with dark folk and dark ambient influences like Agalloch.

Поверхностен тот, кто считает себя глубокомыслящим. (Э. Ремарк)
Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.