Has anyone else gone back to 1.4.x after trying 2.0.x?

• acidzebra escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Mar 2009, 10:29

Has anyone else gone back to 1.4.x after trying 2.0.x?

I really, REALLY want to like 2 but I don't. I know it is "feature-reduced" at the moment and it will get better and I will happily switch when it does, but as it stands I need a piece of music software that does what I want and how I want it - A2 doesn't fit the bill unfortunately.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Mar 2009, 16:57
    I've tried it too but switched back to 1.4 since it's more stable.

• toddlyons escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Mar 2009, 18:42

Yep.

My collection was practically unusable because v2 scrambled the ID3 tags. Some artist name with some other artist's song with yet another artist's album title, and so on. Not ready for prime time.

Fortunately, when I reinstalled 1.4.10 everything was just as it was when I'd left.

~ T.
    • Wumme42 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Mar 2009, 21:04

Works good for me

I have amarok 2.1.0 running and it works fine. OK, if I try to tag files, it`s a bit of a problem, for I can not refer to tags I made before. But specially the lastfm features now do work.
    it`s also much faster because of the real mysql database (I guess), love the lyrics feature. Can`t complain. And it`s getting even better with each update. So I hope the rest of the problems will be solved soon.

OpenSuse 11.1, KDE4.1.3, kernel 2.6.27.19-3.2-pae i686

• bjoerns escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Mar 2009, 1:00

yepp

I switched back zu 1.4 after trying 2.0 because I like 1.4 being so basic and useable.
    I can't really get warm with 2.0 because of some (for me important) features missing.

• wwwwolf escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Mar 2009, 11:58

Just using other players

I'm kind of in a "don't really bother doing anything and waiting for things to improve" mode - since I have Exaile at hand. I'm definitely waiting for Amarok 2.x to become more stable and more usable; the only problem I have with Amarok 2.x is that it takes a ridiculously long time to start and usability lags, as my computer has "only" 512M of memory. And, of course, Amarok still lacking generic FAT32 mp3 player support is kind of a problem.

• ottoayoub escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Mar 2009, 15:49

I did

I didn't love it (n)

Cordialement Ayoub
  • Yeah I did. I really don't like the UI

• ktmf escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Mar 2009, 21:17
    Currently I'm using both :) When playing serious (party's and things like that) I still use Amarok 1.4.10, normally I use Amarok 2, because I love it :) It is indeed feature-reduced (and ugly!) but Last.fm-support is better :)

• tswast escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 23 Mar 2009, 2:02

Phonon Troubles

I tried it, but I can't get any sound from Phonon since Kubuntu moved to Kde 4.2. I'm using 1.4 again, because it has it's own engine that doesn't depend on my broken phonon installation.

• I tried 2 and didn't like it. The tagging was my main problem, but I also think the GUI is ugly as sin and it seemed to be slower than 1.4.10. I'm back to 1.4.10, which is excellent in every way.

• ax-ax escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2009, 16:18
    1 is so much better than 2 imo. I think these new bar functions or whatever they are are ugly. Can't you at least hide the buttons in the edges?

Ok, it was quite some time ago I tested it, so I don't know. But I like 1.4 soo much.

• Usuario
    • 26 Mar 2009, 3:24

Yep

I just can't get comfortable with the new UI, and the lack of key features (for me the "Various Artists" and the reduced support for media devices). Amarok 1.4 was the closest approach to perfection i've ever found on a media player... but Amarok 2...

• kakalto escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Mar 2009, 2:43
    I've actually left amarok since v2, simply because I don't like running two versions of the same toolkit at once (ie qt3 & qt4), on my kde4 desktop - I'm doing without the features I'm so fond of, for the moment.

• joachimp escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 29 Mar 2009, 20:33
    Me too... What happened to all my features!!!
    BTW, I've been trying amarok-nightly package for Ubuntu, installed on a Debian-sid box
    Things I miss in descending importance:
    *Tag files, and move || copy to collection(this is a BIG ONE)
    *Dynamic playlists that grab from likeness data from last.fm(2.x doesn't do dynamic playlists very well, its only based on tag data?!?!)
    *auto-magic download of an generic rss feed based podcasts
    *Moodbar

I hope these features are in the pipeline, in the meantime, I'm glad the amarok-nightly packages allow my amarok's to co-exist nicely...

Thanks to all the amarok-devs

• kakalto escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 31 Mar 2009, 5:16
    The one that caught me out the most is the bad implementation of multi-cd & various artist compilations. It was very good in amarok1, better than I've ever seen in another player, but come amarok2, it lists all 6 cds of one of my compilation boxes together in the same album..... 6 times over.

• Usuario
    • 1 Abr 2009, 9:09
    Well, to be honest Amarok 1.4 goes slow when u load up 6000-7000 songs, I`ve switched back to xmms

• 1.4 is still so much better. The 2 hasn't capabilities to work with cuesheet too (or at least I didn't find), to listen custom stations at here (the same) and no support to use MusicBrain (again). But the lyrics are really better and the interface is more beautiful.

But... for a while I'll be using 1.4.

• I wasn't too impressed with 2.0.1 or 2.0.2. But i've now switched to 2.1 svn with Bespin and i'm loving it. It looks so much nicer with Bespin <3

• Waahh escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Abr 2009, 10:32
    After some weeks using Amarok 2 I also went back to 1.4. It is simply more stable and the usability is much more improved. Amarok 2 has a great potential to become a really great player, but at the moment some bugs and missing features are really too anoying. Well, I'm going to try again in some months.

• Ayex said:
    Well, to be honest Amarok 1.4 goes slow when u load up 6000-7000 songs, I`ve switched back to xmms

Are you using SQLite?
    My collection is over 7000 and with a mysql backend everything is very snappy.

• 2.0 is insane

I hope they start maintaining both 1.4 and 2.0 in popular distributions for a while. 2 is missing so many features and the library migrator doesn't work right.

• I was trying to install 2.0 but my system "said" that it could be destructive for it. I didn't "listen" and now I want to reinstall whole kubuntu.

• Usuario
    • 11 Abr 2009, 0:56

I did

I think Amarok 2 was prettier... but as lots of pretty things... it didn't worked fine. I use Ubuntu 8.10

• neithere escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 Abr 2009, 9:32
    I like A2 but sometimes it's so slow that I had to temporarily (I hope so) switch to mpd. However, I really miss some features of both Amaroks like "stop after given track". Also, A2 works much better with Last.fm than any mpd clients I've tried so far.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.