"Scenes from a Night's Dream"

• "Scenes from a Night's Dream"

I know it's certainly not the favorite or most popular of Genesis songs, but does anyone else besides me really dig this tune?

I know some people I've run into on other Genesis forums despise it. I guess that's because the lyrics are a little frivolous, but they're fun and I think they're pretty good for Phil's first lyrics for the band.(Correct me if I'm wrong on that one) I mean, there's lots of good references - Morpheus, Washington, and the diction, in terms of word choice, is good in my opinion. After all, when's the last time your heard words and phrases like "Sleepy-head" or "Seeking audience" in another song?

The whole song is just a lot of fun musically, bouncy and upbeat. Lots of little riffy bits and flourishes from Tony that are fun to play or even just tap along to. (i.e. the post chorus, "Nemo, get out of bed!")

This really is Phil's track, I think. His vocal is really good in my opinion, (especially with those *gorgeous* backing vocals) and I love the way the beat gets shifted near the end of the song. I don't know if it goes into 7/8 or what but it's really caught me off guard the first time I heard it. Phil really did some great drumming on this album considering this song, the weirdness with the beat at the end of "Deep in the Motherlode" and insanity that is "Down and Out."

So, anyone else dig this one? Or, heck, talk about this album in general, I think it's very underrated.

Of course, I COULD be wrong. I mean, it's happened before...
    • t3hpez escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 21 Feb 2010, 13:03
    I think you're right that Phil wrote the lyric. It's not a favourite of mine but I've never skipped it! It's part of And Then There Were Three's fun side, isn't it? Along with Ballad of Big and The Lady Lies... like pantomime! I spose that's either gonna equal fun or annoyance, I tend to prefer seeing it as good fun :) Oh and the ending is still on 4/4, but it sounds wicked cuz they emphasize the offbeat right before the final one. And yeah, it rocks!

The two years in-the-making Fuente album is called '1700 Recycled Brothers + Sisters of Bedlam'. Enjoy it for free: http://fuente.bandcamp.com
    • t3hpez escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 21 Feb 2010, 13:39
    Oh! and my favourite song off the record is 'Say It's Alright Joe', what an atmosphere! I agree that it's underrated. The 2007 remaster was a BIG surprise, probably the biggest change from the original to the remaster. The synths are HUGE!

The two years in-the-making Fuente album is called '1700 Recycled Brothers + Sisters of Bedlam'. Enjoy it for free: http://fuente.bandcamp.com
  • That's still 4/4 eh? Man, Phil's great at that offbeat/weird accents stuff. One of my other favorites is in "Man of Our Times" when he stars leaving out the snare on two and four but then does that little roll on 3e& in the "...beating heart" section. If that part is in 4/4 anyway, I'm terrible at figuring out time signatures, LOL.

• Oh, and I nominate Mike's screaming guitar note at about 3:46 in "Deep in the Motherlode" as the best moment on the album.

• t3hpez escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 1 Mar 2010, 22:59
    Hehe that guitar bit IS great! Another thing that the remaster has delivered to our ears, special delivery.

• I thought this song was the most upbeat on the entire album. I personally enjoy the song and sing it every once in a while.

• t3hpez escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 28 May 2010, 17:01
    You're right there Honeypie, it's very energetic and positive. I've always liked Down and Out best for energy from this album, though.

• marc1701 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Jun 2010, 16:06
    This was the first genesis album I bought. I found the original issue it in a CeX shop for about 3 quid. Then I heard the remastered version on spotify, and the difference is sound quality was enormous, so I promptly hunted down the remaster. It's one of my favourites the drumming is just epically incredible. You just don't get beats like 'Down And Out' from anyone but Phil!

Spock On!
    • t3hpez escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 21 Jun 2010, 12:31
    It's so true, ATTWT is a fantastic album for the drumming! then again... Phil drumming is absolutely transcendant on every album he touched in the seventies!

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.