Ahab....

• Ahab....

Alright crew , its time we get our first discussion going. Pleas share what got you into Ahab, favorite songs if any and other thoughts on funeral doom in general..

For me it was the first funeral doom band Ive heard so it was very different compared to what Ive been listening too ( mostly black metal and sub genres and some butal and melodic death ) it some time for all the songs to sink in but I think to this day Below the Sun is still my favorite.

After having heard a lot of the other prominent funeral doom bands like Evoken, Shape of Despair, Mournful Congregation, Skepticism and Tyranny to name some, I would still say Ahab is one of my ( if not the top) three best funeral doom bands out there. Amazing atmosphere, perfect vocals and a theme that is perfect for a niche in funeral doom.
    Thoughts?

• Hi

I'm not convinced Ahab is even funeral doom.Some songs,such as Old Thunder,have a much faster tempo than proper funeral doom (Skepticism,Catacombs etc).To me,Ahab represents the perfection of doom itself,or at least,death doom.Another example is the song 'A Slow Succumbing' by Morgion.One of the greatest death doom tracks ever,but it is at times considerably slower than Old Thunder or Below The Sun.You will never hear anyone refer to Morgion as funeral doom though.

I guess people can label music whatever they wish.The band themselves call it Nautik Funeral Doom.Most listeners call it Funeral Doom.I call it Doom,or Death Doom.Morgion,Mourning Beloveth,Reverand Bizarre and others are labelled either doom or death doom, and are similar in tempo and sometimes heaviness to Ahab.Also,another clue is that i can listen to Ahab regularly.I can listen to other 'funeral doom' very rarely indeed.Void Of Silence are another great,slow doom band that are never called funeral.

I discovered Ahab through a top ten list on metalreview.com shortly after TCOTWS had been released.Their next album is possibly my most anticipated album this year, maybe ever!Also have high hopes for the new Void Of Silence.

• Kordras escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 Ene 2009, 2:38
    Found out about them through a site (that I'm pretty sure is dead now; still up, but dead) called spademetal.com, actually looking for an Empalot album, heh.

Anyway, the first time I listened to them I was pretty much blown away. The first time I heard 'Below the Sun', it scared the crap out of me, and I still jump when that big crash comes in, I never see it coming. All of their songs just have this power behind them that I hadn't heard before, so it really stuck. Everytime I listen to them, I just lay back, close my eyes, and there I am on the ship.

• Good analysis FiresOfOrc, perhaps Ahab is too grand for the tidiness of clasification into a single genre ;).
    Also,another clue is that i can listen to Ahab regularly.I can listen to other 'funeral doom' very rarely indeed. I absolutely agree with you here, I am the same way. I got bored of Evoken when i listened to them too frequently. It is different with Ahab.

• Dead whale!

Old Thunder is easily my fav.The double kick is thunderous.The intro has a bit of Agalloch about it.The ending is perfect,especially the drums,again with judicious use of that apocalyptic double bass.It is quite a militant and intimidating song,i love it.

• I'm not convinced Ahab is even funeral doom.Some songs,such as Old Thunder,have a much faster tempo than proper funeral doom (Skepticism,Catacombs etc).
    Keeping in mind what you said there I listened to all of Ahab's track then some Evoken and Mournful Congregation and you were right.. there is a lot more going on in a track like Old Thunder than in a typical Mournful Congregation song. In fact Ahab sounds a lot more like Evoken, and they are generally classified as Death Doom. Ahab has more going on that usual Funeral doom - its not as minimalistic I guess and yeah the pace is a bit quicker. Touche!

• If you haven't heard Morgion yet,i strongly recommend them.Especially 'A Slow Succumbing' , 'The Mourners Oak' & 'Serpentine Scrolls & Descent To Arawn'.Great death doom.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.