Why hip-hop is hated.

• Why hip-hop is hated.

What are the reasons that hip-hop is hated and that some people refuse to even try to listen to it? Also, discuss what can be done to change these people's viewpoint on rap music. I'll add my thoughts after a few replies.

(Editted for a punctation error. Yeah I'm a stickler for that.)

Editado por blackspark el 23 Ene 2007, 3:19
    • [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Dic 2006, 10:53
    I think main problem is bad rap stuff ( bling, bling... ) people see on TV and, beacuse they aren't openminded, think all rap is like that so they even don't want to listen to other stuff with hip-hop smell. Just in short

• IamFlood escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Dic 2006, 5:52
    It's because they base their entire opinion of rap music on 50 Cent. Many of them are completely obsessed with Metal. They think rap isn't music. It goes on...

• AJulian escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 29 Dic 2006, 17:55
    I've come across numerous people in person and on the internet who have nothing but disdain for rap. These people tend to be much more vocal about their hate of the genre in comparison to people who don't like other types of music. From what I've seen, many will go out of their way to express their distaste for the music so far as hate speech and threats of violence towards those that endorse or produce the music. Which is much different than other people who tend to simply ignore what they do not like as far as music goes. Further more, not only do these people hate the genre, they want to hate it meaning they won't go out of their way to try new music at all. They will even go so far as to say that it isn't music at all. Which had they knowledge of the definition of music and what music is they would know it fits that very definition. (And having eleven years experience with music theory and piano and eight with the violin is helpful too).

There is a fundamental misunderstanding of what rap music is and that can be seen by simply visiting the "anti-rap and hip-hop" forums on this site. You'll see people who hate rap, but in reality they hate the same aspects of rap that many rap fans don't care for either.
    The glorification of misogyny, violence, drugs, and other deprecating acts are often thought to be the center of rap music and its message. But in reality, the lyrics of rap are as diverse as any other genre. They can be poetic, beautiful and invoke the deepest emotions be they sadness and melancholy or laughter and joy. Further more rap embraces other cultures of music. There are many musical forms of rap and they incorporate rock, electronic, romanticized music, classical, metal, even country (and of course the bread and butter of rap production which is jazz, funk, and soul music). It's a diverse genre and many do not know or are not willing to accept this.

Although people who hate rap and keep closed ears to it despite our pleas not to are problematic in the acceptance of the music. It is the mainstream rap industry that hurts rap the most. By showing crunk, gangster and narcissistic rappers on music television and playing their music on the radio, the general populous gets the idea that rap music is a talentless belligerent music which simply isn't true.

In my experience however, those that keep an open mind to rap (and music in general) and try recommendations from fans of non-commercial rap end up either enjoying it or at the very least having a level of respect for the music. As an example, from other forums I'm a part of I've had several people come and just rip on me for listening to rap however, after listening they came out with a completely different view of the genre, some of them actively looking for music afterwards and some simply agreeing that rap does take talent and is much more than what we normally see in the media.

I can only hope that those that those that need to see this message will read it and further more act on it by actively seeking out music that is considered good by fans of the genre. If you are a fan of music you shouldn't want to hate any genre of music because the enjoyment of more music increases your knowledge of music as a whole. As it stands, these anti-music genre groups try to keep their populous rather homogeneous in thought and opinion and are not interested in a thought provoking exchange of ideas.

I love music,
    any kind of music - The O'Jays
    • Usuario
    • 7 Ene 2007, 16:32
    gotta say you right. What's that "I hate Hip Hop" shit all about. Hip Hop music can be so beautiful. But people who hate Hip Hop simply ignore that fact.

Only an ignorant mind can be full of hate, this is my assertion.

I love Hip Hop music, but I do not hate any other kind of music. If somebody recommends me a good piece of music, which happens not to be Hip Hop, I won't hate it just because it's not my "kind of music". Fuck that shit.

Open up your mind people.

And how can one claim Hip Hop ain't music at all? That's what makes me angry and sad at the same time, cause I see people putting all their heart to Hip Hop, me being one of them and those full-of-bullcrap-people say it ain't music? What?

Hip Hop can't stop won't stop

• DerFluch escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 Ene 2007, 20:53
    I'm surrounded by people in my area who'll dismiss the entire genre of hip-hop (and rap) as being shit. I find that for the most part, those people don't go so far as to even look up *any* hip-hop artists beyond those on the radio. The radio puts on a poor representation for any genre; even I could dismiss the entire genre of rock as being awful if I went by the radio alone, which so many people do to hip-hop.

The reason I think why a lot of folks don't even attempt to look up hip-hop artists beyond those on MTV is simply because it's trendy to hate hip-hop. And rap. People are always looking for a strong stance on something, to appear to others as having a strong opinion.. and Rap and Hip-Hop's an easy target.

"Well, don't want to sound like a dick or nothin, but, ah... it says here on your chart that you're fucked up. You talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded."
  • I was just reading the I hate rap because it's idiotic and it sucks. group and they were talking about our group. They want to invade us what-not. A lot of what is said there fits to what AJulian said. I've changed a few people's mind about rap muisc, but the majority of people I talk to refuse to hear me out. I remember when I was just a close-minded prepubescent, running around thinking rap was the shit. I never even thought of listening to other types of music.

Anyways, AJulian pretty much said what I was going to say. I'd like to see some quality artists get signed and not dudes that execs think the masses would find catchy. Ahh sometimes I just don't know what to do with the state of mainstream rap.

• keyboy111 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 2 Feb 2007, 23:06
    I havent read anything that anyone has posted, but it can be summed up why it is hated in one name: 50 Cent.

"Damn," "Shit," and "That is whack."
    • _tsk_ escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Feb 2007, 20:39
    i don't think so

• Usuario
    • 5 Mar 2007, 11:39
    Because of the Current Mainstream, and the generalized basic-ness of it.

• ...LMAO @ tsk having 50 Cent as his number one.

• the same reason people used ot think rock was the devil's music. they're fucking dinosaurs. Music's flat earth society.

• Usuario
    • 6 May 2007, 1:09
    blackspark said:
    I was just reading the I hate rap because it's idiotic and it sucks. group and they were talking about our group. They want to invade us what-not. A lot of what is said there fits to what AJulian said. I've changed a few people's mind about rap muisc, but the majority of people I talk to refuse to hear me out. I remember when I was just a close-minded prepubescent, running around thinking rap was the shit. I never even thought of listening to other types of music.

Anyways, AJulian pretty much said what I was going to say. I'd like to see some quality artists get signed and not dudes that execs think the masses would find catchy. Ahh sometimes I just don't know what to do with the state of mainstream rap.

i read 1 topic in that group of y rap sucks, their fuckin ignorant as hell, beyond hatin rap, thinkin every1 who raps try 2 be g and sayin every rappers rich, not 2 mention violent, sayin the wanna kill every rapper n shit

2 much hate, love > hate

• Usuario
    • 6 May 2007, 6:06
    O.o Ever rapper wants to be a G? They never heard mike shinoda (Solo), Atmosphere, Dilated Peoples, Swollen Members & more.
    Besides I never heard Jay-Z sayign he's a G, there are many rappers that doesn't care about that. God they're stupid.

• I think the reason is, why they hate rap-musik, that they just knows this commercial shit, like 50cent. They don't know the real hip hop musik. And the most Hip hop haters just listen to one genre, such as Metal and no genre too. I think it's better to hear other genres too. I have a friend, he mostly hears Punk Rock, but he also hears Tupac, Cypress hill or DMX, and other Rap artists too. The Hip hop haters are dump, they miss very good musik, I take pitty on them.

Zähne hoch, beiss den Kopf zusammen.
    • Usuario
    • 7 May 2007, 19:20
    Yeah, I noticed that many of them are metalheads and they're anti-pop & many other things, they got this new bulldshit "Mallcore"
    Just don't start flaming here metal & rock XP

• Usuario
    • 7 May 2007, 19:21
    Slow internet, sorry for the double post.

• blackspark said:
    I was just reading the I hate rap because it's idiotic and it sucks. group and they were talking about our group. They want to invade us what-not.

And if we invaded their group they'd probably say we weren't tolerating their opinions and we hated free speech! No seriously, they would say that.

I used to hate entire genres of music and was a member of a bunch of anti-groups. Then I saw anti groups for music I liked, and realized how much of an asshole I come off as.

• The reason for the anti-rap sentiment can be summed up in one word: Ignorance.

Off course, I've met people who have listened to a lot of rap, and just decided itäs not thier thing, but the majority of haters (oh dear, is that some slang? I must be a wigger, well, that's what they'd say, anyway) are ignorant to the genre.

Good example was that youtube video where some metalhead did a "objective comparison between metal and rap". In metal, we got as diverse acts as Megadeth, DragonForce (lol), Metallica and Slipknot, which represent Melodic Heavy Metal, Power Metal, Trash metal and Death Metal, respectively. Now, what did he conjure on the rap side? Did he use pioneers and oldschhol acts like Afrika Bambataa or Public Enemy, did he study the difference between the US coasts, or maybe add some Dirty South? Or maybe some metal-related Horrorcore, like Necro, or the Jazz -influenced Tribe Called Quest?

No, he decided to consntrate on the mainstream gangsta rap. Or rather, 50 Cent. Yes, three songs by 50 Cent. He also used the worst strawmen, and the "anti-metal arguments" he "countered" were just floggin a dead horse (who the hell still think Metal is satanic?)

Those idiots have chosen to believe one thing, and won't listen to any argument that doesn't fit their narrow world view, or fit the Strawman arguments they can shoot down.

• Why is rap hated, I would've thought thats obvious, its not "tr00 kvlt nvrwvgvvn blvk \m/" and therefore a faggot pussy genre.

If you look at those groups charts theyre mainly full of metal, which really says something about metalheads.

• yea I was thinking the same thing, On a serious note: Metalhedz think they're open-minded when they only listen 2 one genre of music. Weird, huh? Lets make journal abt them 2 catch their attention, change some perspectives, & hopefully, piss em off

(PS I listen 2 metal too)

Real rap is down here (underground)

Take the elevator
    • Usuario
    • 28 Abr 2008, 13:44
    I have to agree with all the "I hate these idiotic metalheads" statements. I won't dismiss anyone because he listens to metal. Hell, one of me friends is a metalhead, although I know he likes 1 Three Days Grace song & 1 SR-71 song. Anyway, Rap is a very diverse-artists just need to get more famous. Hell, I got no problem with "GET CRUNK!!" stuff, I got a problem that there's alot of good rap out there that's great but NO ONE gives it a try.

• tru, tru

Real rap is down here (underground)

Take the elevator
    • Usuario
    • 25 May 2008, 12:14
    I swear, I die a little bit inside every time I read that thread in that group's forum. They're so fucking far up themselves... I don't judge rock and metal on MCR and Trivium so why should they judge hip-hop on 50 Cent and Soulja Boy? Schindlers_Fist said it best when they called them music's flat earth society.

(edited due to spelling error)

Editado por un antiguo usuario el 31 May 2008, 21:53
    • Usuario
    • 25 May 2008, 19:19
    I think that "there are no instruments and no singing in rap thus it's not music" is the primordial factor to many... So they're just ignorant for not realizing that a turntable is also an instrument in hip hop and that whether you program a beat or you play it on a drum or whatever doesn't really matter, it's the composing of the beat what music is all about. And that rapping is just a different vocal approach that is far from "just talking".

Also, most of those "metalheads" you're talking about are just novice kids who actually think they'll be "trver" when they flame genres other than metal. Almost every *veteran* metalhead (like myself) listens to other types of music aswell.

Sadest of all, for some nsbm fans the fact that most hip hop musicians are black is a reason to hate it -_-

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.