recommend a band

• recommend a band

anyone got any post rock bands to recommend?
    bands i know of...
    explosions in the sky, mogwai, slint, june of 44, mono, godspeed you black emporer, sigur ros, bardo pond, and i suppose interpol fit in too.

i'd especially recommend mono to anyone who hasnt heard them.

• These guys seem pretty good: http://www.lesmouches.cjb.net/

Also, look up a group called Zs on troubleman is pretty decent from what i've heard.

And if you haven't heard of them, rachel's, bark psychosis, and broken social scene are all awesome.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 30 May 2004, 23:11
    some of my favorite bands from my post-rock, experimental folder are as follows:

esmerine (a combo of silver mt zion and godspeed, if i'm remembering correctly)

califone
    meanwhile, back in communist russia
    1 mile north
    hiM
    bexar bexar

also, i second the Rachel's recommendation. systems.layers is probably my favorite.

• anhkman escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 31 May 2004, 11:23
    Some of the bands formed by ex-slint members went on to do some good albumns:
    The For Carnation (self titled), Arial M(self titled), Tortoise (TNT)

Some other good stuff?

Rodan were a contemporary band of Slint's, so you might want to check out their albumn "Rusty" especially the opening track "Bible Silver Corner"

The Swords Project's Self titled EP is good if you're looking for a (much) softer version of Godspeed You Black Emperor.

If you liked Rachel's you might like the Telegraph Melts' CD "Ilium. "

Anything by Labradford is good, but only if you're in the mood to be spaced out.

Although probably not really post-rock My Bloody Valentine's CD "Loveless" is the most awsome thing you'll ever hear...

• poziomka escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 10 Ago 2004, 18:19
    The Sonora Pine's second (and last) album is pretty good.

and Do Make Say Think - I recommend to start with "Goodbye Enemy Airship..."

some things i just don't want to know.
  • i think im going to take an interest in the band you listen to (ithica23o7).. :)

Editado por melonfarmer04 el 18 Ago 2004, 13:42
  • try fly pan am..not technically post rock, but still genius

• I'm planning to go see le fly pan am in a couple weeks time. Exiting.

• i love what 'explosions in the sky' are doing right now...

but more importantly... 'mono' from japan... they sound alot like mogwai... but a little more beautiful and less rough around the edges...

sadly i think godspeed you! black emperor are done. at least that's the word floating around montreal. they all have to many things going on, but effrim is running hotel2tango as a studio these days, so maybe some good music will come outta that... check out www.hotel2tango.com

• doodoodoo escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Ene 2005, 18:42
    try "ostinato"!! they super rock

• Corker/ Conboy - Salvatore

I've recently got an ear for Corker/ Conboy (yes, that's the name - slash and all). To be a norwegian patriot (*ugh*), I'm also going to recommend Salvatore, a quite Neu-like band. Their album Tempo is the best -produced by John McEntire.

-
    "If life is prison, music is the yard time.", Blackalicious
    • dtarasin escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Feb 2005, 9:23
    Film School is pretty good. Also try Wow & Flutter.

• Joey_ escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 9 Feb 2005, 23:31

Blonde Redhead

Blonde Redhead's my big favourite.

Between their first album release (back in 1994) and their latest one (2004) they've developed a lot and one could say there must be at least a single album's style that suits you.

Their first albums were more Sonic Youth-like (not in the least because they started under S.Shelly's Smells like records), nowadays they've got the same label as The Pixies and have got their own sort of melodramatic sound with that extra wink to obscurancy (spell?).

_j-

• gybe79 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 10 Feb 2005, 13:50
    i recommend a band from spain called 'migala'.

Altough right now i´m adicted to 'Mono'.

• sambodhi escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Feb 2005, 6:10
    Try some Tarentel. They're more mellow, but it's great music!

• Patryk_S escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Feb 2005, 20:31
    Moly, great band, really fantastic post rock music

Editado por Patryk_S el 19 Feb 2005, 20:33
  • Not entirely sure if it counts as post-rock, but this is all good music

Maserati is an awesome fusion of Mogwai/Explosions-style postrock with Tristeza/Mercury Program instrumental rock. They only have 1 1/2 albums, 11 songs in all, so far, but they are rad.

...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead is somewhere in between postrock and metal.

Anyone into June of 44 should check out Rodan, the original band, and Shipping News, their most recent iteration.

Windsor for the Derby is some interesting work by a pair of guitar techs.

• Binary101 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Feb 2005, 7:31
    Well, they don't quite fit into the "post-rock" genre, but if you want to hear fucking good music listen to Envy. They've been compared to a metal/hardcore version of Mogwai, which doesn't really give them complete justice but it's pretty fucking close. They are one of the most intense bands you'll ever hear. They've been signed to Mogwai's Rock Action label, which isn't really surprising.

• Toasty escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Mar 2005, 1:10
    I've been listening to Isis a lot lately.

Basically death metal + postrock... it sounds great to me. Listen to "Backlit" or "Hym"... awesome stuff :D

• Everyone needs to listen to Yume Bitsu and Red Sparowes.

Editado por Nightmareous el 4 Mar 2005, 9:13
    • planb escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Mar 2005, 20:48
    check out ee's album for 100 we try harder

Better than great indie rock with a lot of post-rock influence on this sophomore album. Too bad it was their last.

cdnow link

Editado por planb el 7 Mar 2005, 20:51
  • Re:

Quoth Nightmareous:
    Everyone needs to listen to Yume Bitsu and Red Sparowes.

Oh, totally.

• planb escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 11 Mar 2005, 6:22
    Red sparowes is awesome, but honestly I expected more... at least more experimental or unique coming from the likes of neurosis/isis/etc..

and I just checked out Yume Bitsu. Wow. Just wow.

Keep the suggestions coming!

• planb escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 11 Mar 2005, 6:25

Re:

Quoth Binary101:
    Well, they don't quite fit into the "post-rock" genre, but if you want to hear fucking good music listen to Envy. They've been compared to a metal/hardcore version of Mogwai, which doesn't really give them complete justice but it's pretty fucking close. They are one of the most intense bands you'll ever hear. They've been signed to Mogwai's Rock Action label, which isn't really surprising.

A Dead Sinking Story is an amazing album. I had the opportunity to see them in DC, their first show in the US, but I passed. Ive been doing that a lot lately... The Wrens, Rachel's... :(

• Greg84 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 Mar 2005, 4:37

Shalabi Effect

If you haven't checked out Shalabi Effect yet, do so now. probably my favourite GY!BE spin-off band. Post-Rock with a middle eastern flavour, it's great.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.