Foro » Last.fm Client Support

BUG: LastFMHelper keeps Macs from falling asleep

• ecoinc escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 6 Jul 2007, 23:25

BUG: LastFMHelper keeps Macs from falling asleep

Well, the title says it all, the LastFMHelper process keeps my MacBook from falling asleep in case of inactivity.
    I run Mac OS 10.4.10 iTunes 7.3 and the LastFM version 1.3.0.58.
    I reinstalled the client and erased all previous files - didnt help.
    If I kill the LastFMHelper process my Mac falls asleep like it should after a certain time of inactivity.
    Please fix this bug :)

• Saf_1 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Jul 2007, 16:49

[spam]

[spam]

'Scuse me while i kiss the sky♫
    Editado por hjbardenhagen el 3 Ene 2011, 16:43
    • ecoinc escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 9 Jul 2007, 10:02
    manually it works. still there is a very good reason for an sleepmode in case of inactivity. especially for notebooks.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 10 Jul 2007, 4:15
    I also have this problem. I have uninstalled the last.fm client for now until there is a fix.

• ecoinc escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 11 Jul 2007, 11:53

Version 1.3.1 --> Bug still not fixed!

I just updated to client version 1.3.1 and this bug is not fixed. Thats quite annoying, and just think of some hundred thousand Macs that run the client and don't go to sleep anymore if they idle. What a waste of energy - Al Gore would not approve ;)

• ecoinc escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Sep 2007, 19:01

Version 1.3.2 --> Bug still not fixed!

Well, just in case any Last.fm staff reads this (or even cares about it) I just wanted to let you know, that this bug still exists in version 1.3.2.9.

Honestly, the Last.fm client is the only software I know that shows such behavior and fixing such a major flaw should in any case be on top of any "to-do" list.

This bug affects many Last.fm users, possibly all Mac users (http://www.last.fm/forum/34905/_/317846) so any response from Last.fm staff would be awesome.

• Thanks, we'll investigate this.

• licenced escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Sep 2007, 15:26
    What does helper actually do? I noticed in had been placed in my (windows) auto startup queue so deleted it and it doesn't seem to stop last.fm from doing what its supposed to

• dankine escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Sep 2007, 15:42
    As far as I know it is the application that manages the iPod side of scrobbling/detection so on.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • licenced escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 8 Sep 2007, 10:41
    Hopefully the next version of the client will have an option not to install the helper then, for all of us who won't buy an iPod

• Usuario
    • 16 Sep 2007, 11:44
    Bug still exists in 1.3.2.11.

Once the LastFMHelper process is killed, OS X will go to sleep.

The LastFMHelper Service is ran under launchd so you can use this command in the terminal to stop the service:

launchctl stop fm.last.lastfmhelper

I'm unsure as yet how to completely remove the service though, any help would be appreciated.

• Usuario
    • 16 Sep 2007, 12:24

Workaround for bug

Ok, having played about and read the launchd documentation it appears that the best way to disable the fm.last.lastfmhelper service is to use the following command:

launchctl unload -w /Applications/Last.fm.app/Contents/MacOS/fm.last.lastfmhelper.plist

That unloads the service and sets it to disabled so it will not run.

Should you require the service to run again for whatever reason, you need to issue this command:

launchctl load -w /Applications/Last.fm.app/Contents/MacOS/fm.last.lastfmhelper.plist

This removes the disabled flag from the service.

The next time that you start the last.fm client, the LastFMHelper service will run.

Please note, disabling this service means that you will not be able to scrobble tracks from your iPod, and also you will have to start up the last.fm client manually before playing tracks, as it will NOT auto-launch with iTunes.

Hope this is helpful.

Suggestion for the last.fm staff, it seems that this service is not required most of the time, only when an iPod is plugged in or if the user wants to autolaunch last.fm with iTunes. Would it be possible to make the service an on demand service under launchd, so it only spawns a process when required?

Cheers.

Will

• Usuario
    • 18 Sep 2007, 12:35
    *bump*

• Is it normal that one single process is able to annul the whole power-management? For me it sounds like a bug.

• Usuario
    • 19 Sep 2007, 20:04
    It is a bug, without a doubt, its basically preventing the system sleeping...period.

I even have an idea where the bug is coming from, I believe it is the part of the code that checks to see if iTunes is running and which repeats itself every 3000000 microseconds. Or then again it could be the bit that checks for mounted filesystems, but im unsure.

I was going to play about with the code and test some changes but I can't get lastFMHelper or even the entire app to compile in XCode and there is no documentation for it either, so im stuffed.

Unless of course one of the last.fm developers would like to let me know how to get the damn thing to compile in XCode...that would be appreciated.

• Thanks for this thread and especially to frantictrance82. Same problem on my mac, It hasn't gone to sleep since I installed the client. Gonna use the terminal trick to unload the service.

I hope lastfm developpers are going to fix the bug after having ackowledged it (see above). In the meantime the programme is just not functional for me.

• Hi again,

I just tried the terminal command proposed by frantictrance82*. It kills the process immediately, and my mac goes to sleep normally after that. However, the lastFMHelper process is launched again each time I restart the system. So I guess my only chance will be to thrash the app, hoping this will also uninstall any startup or login item. I'd hate to have to kill the process manually after each restart.

* note: if last.fm is not directly in the root of your applications forlder, you'll have to add the name of any sub-folder where you had put the app to the path in the terminal command proposed above.

• willhig escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 25 Oct 2007, 18:16
    I've had a few problems when LastFMHelper uses the remaining processor resources. For instance, if no other program is running, it will be using more than 90% of the processor's cycles.

I've disabled it, and things seem to be going swimmingly =).

• Usuario
    • 26 Oct 2007, 23:36
    janmattis, once you have performed that terminal command successfully:
    launchctl unload -w /Applications/Last.fm.app/Contents/MacOS/fm.last.lastfmhelper.plist

(And that is on 1 line by the way, not 2, just in case thats what's causing the issue)

It unloads the the application from launchd and the process will NOT start again.

You could try issuing the command launchctl stop fm.last.lastfmhelper before the unload command but I doubt it will make much difference.

If it's still causing your mac to have insomnia, then uninstall it and install iScrobbler which doesn't contain daft background processes.

Also, I did offer to help fix this bug, but as none of the staff from last.fm have bothered to get in touch, it seems a bit difficult to do, I have ideas what might be causing it, but I can't get the damn thing to compile in Xcode anyway...so, im using iScrobbler now instead. ;-)

• muesli escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 26 Nov 2007, 6:55
    i'm confident that we fixed this bug with the latest beta release. if someone could try it and give me some feedback, that'd be sweet.

thanks guys,
    muesli

• Usuario
    • 26 Nov 2007, 11:13
    Ok, i'll give it a shot now.

• ecoinc escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 11 Dic 2007, 10:17
    I installed the clientversion 1.4.0.56174 and it seems like the sleepmode issue is gone with this version.

However the lastFMHelper process still isn't working properly as it keeps crashing after a certain amount of time. I get the "LastFMHelper (not responding)" message in the Activity Monitor all the time.

So this might as well be the reason for the Mac to fall asleep again -> if the helper crashed the application that kept the Mac awake is gone...

Hope this feedback is a help to the developers and thanks for working on this problem!

(OS X 10.4.11, iTunes 7.5(19), Lastfm 1.4.0.56174)

• mxcl escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 11 Dic 2007, 12:33
    It always says not responding, although in fact it is, OSX seems to be reporting it wrongly for some reason.

• Usuario
    • 11 Dic 2007, 14:46
    I'm seeing the lastfmhelper problem on my windows laptop where it takes up all of one CPU's processing power. I would tell you what version of the client I'm running but the client is now crashing whenever I try to start it up. I just upgraded on Sunday.

• Usuario
    • 11 Dic 2007, 19:12
    I tested it extensively and couldn't get it to sleep when LastFMHelper is running, I think the bug still exists. That 'not responding' is a bug of some type, OS X must think the process is dead for some reason.

I'm not particularly interested now though, i'm happy with iScrobbler SVN builds.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.