Foro » In the News

UK Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

• UK Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

BBC

The government will be able to monitor the calls, emails, texts and website visits of everyone in the UK under new legislation set to be announced soon.

Internet firms will be required to give intelligence agency GCHQ access to communications on demand, in real time.

The Home Office says the move is key to tackling crime and terrorism, but civil liberties groups have criticised it...

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    • Mamaatti escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Abr 2012, 12:07
    First the apply it in the UK and next they will take this to the European parliament where it is probably applied to all European countries without even asking. I love this world and what it is turning into.

http://stravish.blogspot.com/
    lost in the kingdom of Narnia.
    • dankine escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Abr 2012, 13:22
    this will have to be stopped.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • sgath92 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Abr 2012, 16:14
    What's to say this isn't already being done, just not publicly?

The US was caught red handed in the way I just described some years ago when an AT&T employee noticed a peculiar janitor closet.

• SaoCartel escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Abr 2012, 23:42
    I would rather my country to come out and say they are doing it than leaving me to suspect it. Not saying they should being doing it but, it's quite likely they already are. Doesn't Google already do all this anyways?

• Been doing it and worse in Ireland and elsewhere for a long time

It's news because they're considering doing it on the Mainland, not just Northern Ireland.

Fuck all good their surveillance did then when they let atrocities happen to protect informants...

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
  • Monitoring E-mails and texts is one thing, as long as they are not privy to the information contained within. Websites are a totally different kettle of fish.

"I never picked cotton"
    • dankine escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 2 Abr 2012, 13:22
    mickeymay1968 said:
    Monitoring E-mails and texts is one thing, as long as they are not privy to the information contained within. Websites are a totally different kettle of fish.

That is exactly what "monitoring" is...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • 1337Chris escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 3 Abr 2012, 21:00
    as much as authoritarian regimes like Iran and China are condemned by the governments here, theyre slowly turning the west into the same sorta thing with monitoring/copyright crackdowns

surely the problems outweigh the benefits.

• Mamaatti escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Abr 2012, 5:22
    1337Chris said:

Even if the benefits would outweigh the problems, there is still a great issue concerning the authoritarian mindset of "controlling' people. The issue lies in the right for privacy, rather than in the issue of free speech. I find it really uncomfortable to think that someone might be reading my personal messages to other people, where they can draw any kind of conclusion without even knowing me. I'd be a name in their list, nothing more, nothing less.

http://stravish.blogspot.com/
    lost in the kingdom of Narnia.
  • dankine said:
    mickeymay1968 said:
    Monitoring E-mails and texts is one thing, as long as they are not privy to the information contained within. Websites are a totally different kettle of fish.

That is exactly what "monitoring" is...

I'm merely saying that it may be open to abuse, no one has said who will be policing the monitors?

"I never picked cotton"
  • Mamaatti said:
    1337Chris said:

Even if the benefits would outweigh the problems, there is still a great issue concerning the authoritarian mindset of "controlling' people. The issue lies in the right for privacy, rather than in the issue of free speech. I find it really uncomfortable to think that someone might be reading my personal messages to other people, where they can draw any kind of conclusion without even knowing me. I'd be a name in their list, nothing more, nothing less.

I think so too, communication is not limited to the net, cheap, pay as you go, mobile phones are probably better equipment for a terrorist.

"I never picked cotton"
    • sgath92 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 6 Abr 2012, 19:59
    mickeymay1968 said:
    no one has said who will be policing the monitors?

Probably the same sort of people who make sure the American politicians in Washington DC don't engage in insider trading.

• lawynd escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 7 Abr 2012, 10:47
    We're already the most-monitored people in the world, I doubt this is going to actually make much difference beyond making a shady practice officially legal. I don't like it, but there isn't much we'll ever be able to do about it.

Official recorder of Schrödinger's Tampon.

Quote of the moment - "They tried to get me to eat haggis but I couldn't stomach it."
    • sgath92 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Abr 2012, 20:11
    lawynd said:
    We're already the most-monitored people in the world, I doubt this is going to actually make much difference beyond making a shady practice officially legal. I don't like it, but there isn't much we'll ever be able to do about it.

Can't the people vote out politicians over there? Its an option we have, not that our masses ever use it [they always elect the same idiots & expect a different result from it].

• lawynd escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 7 Abr 2012, 20:26
    We tried that and we ended up with the ConDem coalition. ;)

Official recorder of Schrödinger's Tampon.

Quote of the moment - "They tried to get me to eat haggis but I couldn't stomach it."
  • sgath92 said:
    lawynd said:

Can't the people vote out politicians over there? Its an option we have, not that our masses ever use it [they always elect the same idiots & expect a different result from it].

Not the whole of the UK, but Scotland elected new people and now we should be getting independence from the bastard English politicians in a few years.(England can keep Michael Moore and Danny Alexander and all the Scottish Labour politicians.)

• sgath92 said:
    lawynd said:

The UK has three main parties, all of which pretty much walk the same line, they tell you their policies and you choose who to vote for.
    In the last hundred years all three have been in power.
    So which ever way you cut it, they make the laws and this is the dire predicament we are in today...Think I might put my ballot card through the shredder.

"I never picked cotton"
  • mickeymay1968 said:
    sgath92 said:
    lawynd said:

The UK has three main parties, all of which pretty much walk the same line, they tell you their policies and you choose who to vote for.
    In the last hundred years all three have been in power.
    So which ever way you cut it, they make the laws and this is the dire predicament we are in today...Think I might put my ballot card through the shredder.

We only have to main parties. When have the Lib Dems ever actually had any power.

A Lib Dim government would be interesting though, unlike the other two, they aren't total scum, perhaps. Nick Clegg needs executed though.

• Bloopy escribió...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 17 Abr 2012, 0:37
    sgath92 said:
    I assumed it was already being done, but I guess not to a degree that causes bother for innocent people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echelon_%28signals_intelligence%29
    ECHELON was capable of interception and content inspection of telephone calls, fax, e-mail and other data traffic globally through the interception of communication bearers including satellite transmission, public switched telephone networks (which once carried most Internet traffic) and microwave links.

• sgath92 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Abr 2012, 16:25
    Bloopy said:
    sgath92 said:
    I assumed it was already being done, but I guess not to a degree that causes bother for innocent people:

The government can do a lot that doesn't cause great bother for innocent people; because innocent people are normally the ones who support such things [under the assumption that, since they're innocent & have done nothin wrong it will not effect them].

Just look at how the US masses not only tolerates the TSA [whose budget is larger than NASA's], but obediently lets the TSA grope them at random whenever they try to board a plane.

• As this story first appeared on April 1st I had assumed it was some sort of awful April Fool's joke. Slightly terrifying to find out that this isn't the case.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.