Foro » Feedback and Ideas

June 23rd site update

• acreature escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 23 Jun 2011, 14:56

June 23rd site update

Hello!

We just released an update to Last.fm. Here's what's new:

Event & festival page updates. We've updated the design of our events pages in time for festival season. The event details are now easier to read, the pages are more consistent across events & festivals, and they're prettier too. One major improvement is to the attendance system: we've swapped "I might go" with "I'm interested", and changed the dropdowns to buttons. One-click attendance, baby! Check out an event and festival to see the new, easier-to-use pages in action.

Faster. We've made some back-end improvements to how images and scripts get sent to your browser. Our pages should be a little bit faster now.

Best friends with MP3.com. MP3.com's been completely redesigned and rebuilt – stronger, bigger, & better. And Last.fm's powering a big chunk of it, including the top downloads and artist top tracks. They've got some free MP3s from Arcade Fire, Britney Spears, and other popular artists – take a peek.

Music Manager syndication settings. Eagle-eyed music managers will have spotted this already, but if you're an artist on Last.fm you can choose whether you want your free downloads to be made available via our API and on other sites like MP3.com. It's available from your account settings.

Blog post extravaganza. There's a lot of new posts over on our blog, including finding the disco revolution with algorithms, lyric clouds and genre maps, our sporting prowess, and Scrabble. All of these and more can be found at blog.last.fm.

Bugfixes. We've fixed the usual melange of niggling issues & tweaked some small details through the time-tested technique of nuking the bugs from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

That's it for now, but we'll be back soon with more updates.

— Team Last.fm

• Looks like there were some detail changes to the look of albums. The new layout of events looks good.

With Palemoon (Firefox) I don't get the feel that viewing pictures of artists has become faster, rather the opposite; slower.

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
    • Tecfan escribió...
    • Event Moderator
    • 23 Jun 2011, 15:36
    Thanks for the new stuff! I think it's nice that event and festival pages are more similar now.

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • snyde1 escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 23 Jun 2011, 15:46
    I don't know that faster images would help me - I usually browse with image loading off B-)

Thanks for the updates. I'm interested in the mp3.com changes.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • I am usually interested in seeing the number of shouts on event pages. I think you should put them back on your profile and recommend/similar events pages, instead of only seeing them when you click your full events pages. That being said, I can't say I like the new design either. For normal events at least, it reminds me of the random other sites that hold events but are not nearly as organized as last.fm. Festivals look alright.

• rwitte escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 23 Jun 2011, 17:11
    Thanks for everything, especially the faster images and the bug fixes. it isn't that I don't like new features, but the integrity and reliability of the core functions is also important (even if it isn't so glamorous).

• TheMannen escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 23 Jun 2011, 17:31
    ShatteredFlame sa:
    I am usually interested in seeing the number of shouts on event pages. I think you should put them back on your profile and recommend/similar events pages, instead of only seeing them when you click your full events pages.

Yeah really, what was the reason for removing those counters? :(

The most pointless war in history needs to be stopped. So join and stuff.
  • ShatteredFlame said:
    I am usually interested in seeing the number of shouts on event pages

TheMannen said:

We wanted to reduce the clutter on the page and group the information in a more coherent way. We wanted to give priority to clear and concise information (who's playing, when, where) for people who are interested in the event.

Our view was that "meta" information about the number of shouts is of limited interest to most people who visit the page, and that those who do want to see that information can easily check by scrolling down.

Sorry if this is inconvenient for you guys. I'm curious to know why the number of shouts is so useful to you?

• IanAR escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 23 Jun 2011, 18:16

June 23rd Site Update: LastFM Powering MP3.com

acreature said:
    Best friends with MP3.com. MP3.com's been completely redesigned and rebuilt – stronger, bigger, & better. And Last.fm's powering a big chunk of it...
    This powering seems to include wiki content, too. Though, MP3.com seem to leave-out 'attribution' from their practice (no link back to LastFM wiki) and their statement ...User-contributed text is available under the Creative Commons By-SA License... :( Ian

• DFA1979 escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 23 Jun 2011, 18:39
    Another who liked the shouts counter being visible for events on my profile page. As for why, it's as simple as "so I can see if there are new shouts". Once I've clicked that I'm attending an event, there's very little (if anything) of interest on the event page, other than the shoutbox.

YMMV but for me, there's just no reason to visit the page again in normal browsing - the counter lets me know there's something new. If there's a show next week that I'm going to/thinking about going to, and I see it's jumped from 3 shouts to 4, I'll probably click. If I don't have that information, there's next to no chance I'll decide to check.

• TheMannen escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 23 Jun 2011, 18:42
    Couldtryharder sa:
    ShatteredFlame said:

TheMannen said:

We wanted to reduce the clutter on the page and group the information in a more coherent way. We wanted to give priority to clear and concise information (who's playing, when, where) for people who are interested in the event.

Our view was that "meta" information about the number of shouts is of limited interest to most people who visit the page, and that those who do want to see that information can easily check by scrolling down.

Sorry if this is inconvenient for you guys. I'm curious to know why the number of shouts is so useful to you?

Well, it's not the counter on the actual event page that I miss, but I miss seeing the counter for the events on my profile page (the "Events" section in the right column) since that was a relatively easy way to see if there had been any new shouts to events you are planning on going to. Especially considering it was (is) already difficult to keep track of discussions in shoutboxes on the site in general, I think removing these counters was a bad decision.

I understand your point in regards to the actual event pages, but I really don't consider the shout counter to be cluttering on my profile page.

Another complaint though (which was relevant before this update) is that this counter disappeared when the event had taken place, and instead only the "Write a review" link was visible. I'd say that keeping track of new shouts after an event has taken place is of interest too, since there can often be a bit of a discussion of how good the event was etc (certainly that is more common than reviews anyway, especially more common than good reviews).

Edit: Oh hey, there is DFA again, sharing my thoughts as usual...

The most pointless war in history needs to be stopped. So join and stuff.
    • lakosius escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 23 Jun 2011, 20:28

Attendance system

Why are there only the two options "I went" and "I was interested"? What if I finally didn't go to an event, how can I delete it from my event list? I wanna have the "I did not go" button back. Now the event section on my personal page becomes very disturbing listing everything I was interested in.

Why is that button missing?

• DFA1979 escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 23 Jun 2011, 20:32
    The 'I went' button gets a blue highlight to show it is selected. Click it again to de-select it.

• lakosius escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 23 Jun 2011, 20:55
    Oh cool, thanks! Haven't considered that.

• i have to agree with all the people who found the events shouts counter on their profile pages useful. i like to keep an eye on the shouts for events as they often can contain useful info: doors opening times, stage times, or for festivals, new additions being announced etc. i also agree with what TheMannen said about the counter vanishing after an event has passed, that used to bug me as well.

the improved attendance system is much better, though.

"a fly crouching in a sandwich cannot comprehend how it has become more than ordinarily vulnerable" - ivor cutler
  • I would also like to get this counter for event shouts back, as there were quite a few times I got noticed of changes on some smaller events where e.g. artists that made up my choice were cancelled or even the complete gigs. I know that there are also many events where the counter is not so useful as a lot of people are "spamming" (in the context of providing no useful information) but for most events it was really helpful. Wouldn't imagine how it would have been when I didn't get notified of this information when an event was canceled... :|

• I'm sorry, I misunderstood which shout count people were referring to before.

The events list on profile pages is a standard component that we use for sidebar event listings across the site. As part of trying to make it easier for people to find events they are interested in, we decided to remove the shout counts from this component. Unfortunately, this meant that they are removed from the profile page too.

What I understand from the discussion here is that you would like a way to see when something has changed on an event that you've added to your "My Events" list. We don't think shout counts are a very good solution to that problem, so we're looking at other, better ways of solving it for you, as we continue our work on the Events section.

• DFA1979 escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 24 Jun 2011, 9:08
    Some other indicator that "something's changed here" might be nice, but from my perspective the shoutbox discussion is the main (only? I can't think of anything else… I don't usually pay much attention to support acts, and normally check door times with the venue site anyway 'cause they're so often ignored or filled in wrongly by users adding events here) thing I'm interested in keeping up with anyway so the shout counter is perfect.

• How can I get rid of event recommendations? I usually selected the "I'm not going" option, but since this option is gone I pressed the "I'm interessed" button twice. I did this yesterday on two events. They were gone but now they are back. I just did the same thing again and I hope they are gone for good now.
    I like to keep my event recommendations empty so that I can see directly on the dashboard when new events are posted. If they pile up I have to browse the event recommendations page everytime to look for new events since only the next two or three events are shown on the dashboard.
    A simple "I'm not going" button would be nice.

I would also like a simple indication if something new happend on a event or festival page. There could be an easier way than to keep all shout counters in mind to notice new shouts.

• DFA1979 escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 24 Jun 2011, 13:27
    You might want to rethink having the event "I went" / "I was interested" as toggle on/off switches, so that there's an explicit "I didn't go" option visible. Or change the style to make it clearer that they have that functionality.

(Seemed pretty clear to me, but there've been enough posts already to suggest that some people aren't seeing that)

• HEY GUYS

While the new Event pages are much nicer, I really really REALLY hate that on my profile it no longer lists how many shouts my events have in the right sidebar.

Now I actually have to click every single one to see if anyone I was having a conversation with replied.

FIX IT PLEASE THX

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Jun 2011, 15:50
    Couldtryharder said:
    ShatteredFlame said:

TheMannen said:

I was using that counter to check if someone wrote something new on an event's page. Now it's impossible to see it. I have to go to the event's page, scroll down and check it manually.

• YES! The site is faster loading over all ;-) Congratz and thank yous to staff! I read those very blog entries a couple days ago and found them uniquely interesting. You guys are a physically fit bunch, judging from the 'game' images. I half expected more beer bellies passing the ball about, lol.

I am certain Nick is a werewolf. Think he would mind, if I touch his furry face a bit? =)

Editado por CrybKeeper el 24 Jun 2011, 17:36
  • I'm also quite unhappy about the shoutbox situation. The counts in references were helpful. So are links on the same page pointing to the shoutbox hash.

• Tecfan escribió...
    • Event Moderator
    • 24 Jun 2011, 17:05
    I'm not directly unhappy about it not being there, but there is an awful lot of whitespace next to the "going" text, so I vote for bring it back

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.