Foro » Feedback and Ideas

Global hotkeys in Last.fm Client

• Global hotkeys in Last.fm Client

Sorry to bother again with this subject, but everything I find in the forums is people requesting this feature and no concrete responses from Last.FM.

It may sound selfish, but to me this is the most obvious feature for a desktop music player. When you are listening to music while working/studying and someone calls you, you can just strike something like WinKey+X in the keyboard and that pauses the playback. When you're done, you just hit WinKey+X again and the radio is on again. You do not need to use the mouse, or take off the headphones.

When I'm using Winamp, this cycle is very natural and I do it dozens of times a day. But the Last.fm player has no equivalent feature or a workaround. I've been using Global Hotkeys in Winamp since 2004 at least (http://www.subterfugios.net/blog/arquivos/2005/05/24/winamp-atualizacoes-e-configuracoes/ in portuguese) and I use Last.fm since 2005.

Recently, I decided to subscribe (pay) for Last.FM since I think the recommendation system has become excellent. But it is time the Player gets a pro update.

Anyone else with the same feelings?

I look forward to hear from Last.FM about features like this and client roadmap.

Thanks!
    João.

• +1

I, too, have wished for something like this. My keyboard has special buttons that work with Windows Media Player (play/pause, stop, next track, and previous track). I don't know if they could be made to work with a new version of the Last.fm Client, or if it would only be a key combination such as you suggest.

It would also be nice if Love and Ban could be included (with the option of a dialog allowing to press Enter or Escape to confirm or cancel).

• GHNeko escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 Jun 2011, 21:58
    I'd like to see this too. It'd be someone thing to add to my lists of "reasons why I pay for Last.fm."

• Good to know there are other people with the same wishes. I really think this would be a killer feature, making Last.FM player positively different than the other radio players around. Last.FM has the huge advantage of being a desktop player, not a buggy flashy plugin in the browser. So use your (our) advantage and provide a rich desktop experience.

Now, what would be the next step to raise our voice a bit? :) I noticed the client releases are quite conservative lately, not a lot of new features.

Is there a way to help the implementation? I'm a software developer myself, and I'm sure others would also be glad to give a hand.

• All I see is STOP and SKIP... we need a pause button first, promised for the next release?

For the STOP button it seems using the SPACE bar will stop it. Have not tested it yet, well not on purpose anyway. :S

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
    • h107474 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Jun 2011, 20:05
    It needs key remapping so it can work with wireless MCE remotes too. Just changing the skip from ctrl + left to simply left would mean MCE remotes can use the left function to skip.

• Gerbr escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 5 Sep 2011, 15:26
    I would love to have global hotkey support. Not to have every time go back to the lastfm window

• +1

I'd find this extremely useful, as I oftenly love songs, and it gets really irritating having to alt+tab games or applications to do so.

• Maddieman escribió...
    • Personal de Last.fm
    • 28 Sep 2011, 17:17
    Actually, we were discussing this just the other day. I can't go into specifics, but we're definitely considering global hotkeys for client 2.0.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Oct 2011, 12:30

totally agree

+1

Cuz I need to play/pause/skip song when playing and keep my game opened.
    Or simply while surfing on the internet, I need to reopen the scrobbler, to do so, some annoying when global hotkeys exist.

Looking forward for client 2.0!

• Sometimes I want to add a specific track of freshly got artist to favourites but I don't want to minimize the game and it goes by, unmarked.

• Der_Fab escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 Nov 2011, 11:12
    +1

Just love the world that won't love you back
    • kaplis escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 Nov 2011, 16:54
    +1 for the very same reasons mentioned above

• Usuario
    • 19 Nov 2011, 0:04
    Maddieman said:
    Actually, we were discussing this just the other day. I can't go into specifics, but we're definitely considering global hotkeys for client 2.0.

Just make sure you provide an option to disable them because global hotkeys play havoc with other applications that depend heavily upon them. More than once I've thought something was wrong with Photoshop because some other application 'stole' its hot keys.

• rfruth11 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Nov 2011, 20:21
    hope more hotkey support is added for linux (deb) not just Windows :)

• slyfoxlf escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 2 Dic 2011, 0:03
    Please add proper keybaord shortcuts to last.fm mac player. Lack of keybaord shortcuts is the main reason why I do not pay for premium last.fm and use other services.

• +100500

• Anarroia escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Mar 2012, 16:05

Found what y'all been lookin' for.

External global hotkeys for Last.fm

This wasn't made by Last.fm, just some dude with the same needs as everyone else who likes a flexible music player. If it is frowned upon by Last.fm to use external functions, then sorry for posting this. However, Last.fm has needed global hotkey support for YEARS now, so if Last won't do it, I'm glad someone else bothered!

I've used these hotkeys for a long time, and have never experienced any issues. Ever. Enjoy!

Consciousness experiencing a body. Communicate via music.
    • Usuario
    • 20 Abr 2012, 12:22

thank you anarroia

I'll give it a try quickly. I feel really disappointed the beta release still doesn't have this function.
    I just needed a simple stupid box to be able to tick "make these hotkeys global".
    Damn, is it really THAT HARD??? Can anyone implied in last fm answer this?

• Sagehorn escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Ago 2012, 15:15
    I want to push that request forward.. Need global hotkey, too!
    At the moment I have to set the lastfm tool to active, to use my remote control with eventghost... >_<

so: PLEASE!

edit: the hotkey tool doesnt work on my machine so far (win7)
    edit2: okay, i had to use ctrl+alt+shift and not shift+ctrl+alt ^^ (in eventghost its vice versa)

• It's not like Microsoft has a standard way of handling the media control keys or anything...

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.