Foro » Feedback and Ideas

Your ideas for new community features

• c99koder said:
    +1 for group activity notifications. I would love to be notified about new posts in the groups I manage instead of having to refresh the pages all day :)

(ignore my staff icon in this thread -- I'm not on the web team)
    Maybe this helps in the meantime, there are RSS feeds for forums you can subscribe to in order to see new posts, for example:

http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/1.0/forum/103852/posts.rss

I guess this is related to what mkuzmin means with "geeky stuff: Make forum RSS feeds visible" ;)

• mkuzmin escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 23 Mar 2010, 13:02
    soadize said:
    A vote up/down system on shoutboxes to hide all the spam and highlight good comments.

yeah, brilliant idea. I like how it's done on Youtube.
    Soutboxes are full of obscene language. there is no "flag for review" and even permalinks to report them. and anyway, moderators will become crazy to clean all that.

• Add more forums, such as actual music discussions, maybe for different genres. Also have two forums for news, one for general news and one for music related news.

• Being a group mod myself, I would like to be notified when a new member joins or someone posts a shout or a new thread in the discussions. As I also created some global tag radios for my groups, I would appreciate some kind of counter that tells me how often they have been played, maybe on the tag pages. A new group radio built from the max. 200 connected artists would be nice, especially if a group mod could decide or offer the members to choose which kind of radio should be the current group radio (member taste, connected artists or any tag radio). I don't think the current solution is the best one, e.g. there are groups that kick out members, because they have the "wrong taste" for "clean" group charts and radio.

And most important: please reveal the mystery how and when these big background pictures are chosen for the header of a global tag page. ;-)

Last but not least: please update the database for new global tags more often than at the moment... it's very discouraging having to wait several weeks for any change in the tag radio programme.

• flaneur escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 23 Mar 2010, 17:13
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, and keep it coming!

Please keep in mind that we're a relatively small team and that there will always more good ideas than we'll have time/resources to implement. And as Thaelvyn and my other red-icon'd compatriots have noted, we obviously can't discuss future plans too much before they're rolled out.

Now, with those two giant disclaimers out of the way (heheh), know that us staff are indeed reading all these threads and taking the suggestions on board! The changes we'll be making this year all have the ultimate goal of emphasizing the things within the online music ecosystem that Last.fm does best, and hopefully making our service more useful (and easier to understand, and more sustainable) at the same time.

• Wilwa escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 23 Mar 2010, 17:36
    Can't wait to see all the new coming changes! :D

• c99koder escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 23 Mar 2010, 18:38
    foreverautumn said:
    there are RSS feeds for forums you can subscribe to in order to see new posts
    Ah thanks, I didn't realize we had forum RSS feeds. That does make things much easier!

foreverautumn said:
    I guess this is related to what mkuzmin means with "geeky stuff: Make forum RSS feeds visible" ;)
    +1 for this!

• Bloopy escribió...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 23 Mar 2010, 20:35
    More flexible radio stations that can play tracks from multiple sources you specify. Such as a station that picks up all the connections from a journal or group, any number of your friends' loved or banned tracks or their entire libraries, or just their last 3 months chart.

Make the user's journal page so that it just loads the first few hundred characters of each journal. At the moment it's awkward to browse for one of your journals if it's not in the most recent 4 on your profile.

Sort groups on your profile page by whether you're a leader, not whether you're the founder. I have to dig through my groups list to find a few of the groups I lead, and in groups where I abdicated, I had to quit because I got tired of seeing those groups amongst the 5 on my profile page.

Show connected groups on event pages again. This was really helpful to show which groups are active and interested in upcoming events.

• rwitte escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 23 Mar 2010, 20:35
    +1 for voting on journals with the results used to influence recommended reading, possibly take it further by allowing journals to be tagged and allowing tag pages in recommended reading.

I read flaneur's comments carefully - figuring out your unique selling points and enhancing them is only part of the story - you need to de-emphasise (but not necessarily remove) some other facets so that new users are channelled in the right direction and then market the USP features so that non-users get to hear about them.

• Re:On-demand plays

I am super green :)

Babs_05 said:
    I say keep them.

I presume the rest of the world doesn't see 'full track' where we do?

I see them in USA, but maybe you meant other countries, beside U.K., Germany and USA?

If we had auto-advance back on albums, like they used to be before you had to start penny-pinching, it would be good.

What really is free and what isn't, what appears in Google search, what people see that leads to assumptions and expectations - this all needs tidying up.

If the on-demand 'beta experiment' were to ever go live, it would mean a higher subscription rate, which was the original idea posed by Warners but Last.fm dawdled over because they were trying to keep things free not fee. But the climate's changed now, people have got their heads around the idea of fee sites. So maybe it's time to launch £5 a month proper on-demand Subscriber+. I would be happy to go up a level for this, I know it's something I already use and would miss if I didn't have it. I would expect auto-advance on albums to be restored, though.

Maybe that could be the difference between subs and subs+. That subs+ get auto-advance and unlimited full plays for on-demand tracks. Regular subs would understand that to pay the standard rate would mean how things are now. ish. with a bit of tidying. So they still get the sense of supporting the site and getting what we have now without breaking the bank. I think it's important not to lose E£$3 level.

Assuming it's all do-able of course! Whatever is practical, etc etc.

Yes, I agree here Babs - I am one who is ready and willing to purchase a premium or gold sub for £5 or $5 ;)

I love Tecfan's Group Dashboard idea. I didn't know how much I needed it! +1 from me.

There was an idea someone had a long time ago re the Library - the ability to add notes and scribbles wherever we want. I still would like that if we could make it happen. I'll see if I can find the original thread... here http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/547223

I Like my 'Playlists' as well as Tag radio, so do not want to see these go away, but would like to see them more open to personal touches. Would love to change the frame color to 'green' hues, instead of all black and grey.

rwitte said:
    +1 for voting on journals with the results used to influence recommended reading, possibly take it further by allowing journals to be tagged and allowing tag pages in recommended reading.

Certainly! Have heard about other possibilities with journals too. Voting on them, could help promote the best ones to the top of a list, for choosing which journals should be featured in other possible ways.

I read flaneur's comments carefully - figuring out your unique selling points and enhancing them is only part of the story - you need to de-emphasise (but not necessarily remove) some other facets so that new users are channelled in the right direction and then market the USP features so that non-users get to hear about them.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 24 Mar 2010, 2:22
    Yes, I wondered what the rest of the world sees where we see the text 'full track'.

Albums pages - need attention, especially this confusion over what order they appear in when we Sort By Popularity, which is only over a period of 6 months, I believe. I think if we're going to do that, then it should be clear at the top and there should be another link to view as an Overall, to see the true picture.

An idea we've had before is - can we see if an album is already in our library and with how many plays from any albums page? eg, let's say here - http://www.last.fm/tag/post-jazz/albums

And still on albums but in our Libraries - why can't I get out once I'm in? Let's say I begin with the album page in the site - http://www.last.fm/music/Laura+Marling/I+Speak+Because+I+Can - then I click on my number of plays and go here - http://www.last.fm/user/Babs_05/library/music/Laura+Marling/I+Speak+Because+I+Can - so let's say I want to go back to the album and click on the right one - .... - I'm still there! I can't get out. Even if I get clever and click on the album name next to the tracks, it doesn't work. My only option is to go the artist page then find the album again.

• snyde1 escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 24 Mar 2010, 3:58
    Hmmm - I see community as interactions between numbers of people - in other words, groups.

The ability to change group leaders and pick up leadership of abandoned groups.

The old "interesting things to read" that disappeared long ago was good for the most part - I try to keep up on group posts now with this, but it will only show the newest post date. (Yes, I could extend it, but I can't be bothered.)

A compatibility meter for group membership (for music oriented groups anyway) might be nice - something like Anthony's page.

Something to keep track of journals posted - e.g. someone mentioned getting notified if there is a change - like a pending journal entry.

From a more general community standpoint, separating artists of the same name would likely reduce conflicts between fans of the disparate artists. No, I don't know how to do that ...

Okay, they're not new but ...

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • fmera escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 5:25
    Babs_05 said:
    Yes, I wondered what the rest of the world sees where we see the text 'full track'.
    mostly, we just see this (click to view fullsize):

the tagline at the bottom when i took this screenshot is tragically ironic.

U.G.L.Y. - changing the face of music, one artist at a time.
    there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
    • [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 8:03
    I'm not sure if anyone else would be interested in this, but perhaps an icon beside a loved track, showing you've loved it already, within the software. And maybe, if you've added it to a playlist, "'song name here' is in ___ playlist." With the option to show/not to show, for the people who don't want to see it.

• HodgeStar escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 8:09
    Bloopy said:
    Make the user's journal page so that it just loads the first few hundred characters of each journal. At the moment it's awkward to browse for one of your journals if it's not in the most recent 4 on your profile.
    - Yes, something like that. E.g fmera's journal page takes forever to load.

Other fairly simple things:

- Sort friends by last seen or last track played. Think about users whose name starts with Z.

- Sort groups by recent activity

- Show only the last loved track of each friend in the dashboard module. The listening now box shows only the last track too.

Although i think the never ending play button discussion doesn't belong here, i want to emphasize once more that the differentiation between FLP and FOD was/is/would be an essential community feature.

• A "Friends Loved Tracks" radio station would be supercool!

• Bloopy escribió...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 24 Mar 2010, 10:19
    HodgeStar said:
    Although i think the never ending play button discussion doesn't belong here, i want to emphasize once more that the differentiation between FLP and FOD was/is/would be an essential community feature.
    Agreed. I added an artist to a station because they had tracks up for free download, only to find that the tracks weren't enabled for radio play.

• fmera escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 10:33
    HodgeStar said:
    Bloopy said:
    - Yes, something like that. E.g fmera's journal page takes forever to load.
    i agree to bloopy's suggestion - we need journal blurbs/excerpts. the present way is rubbish.

meanwhile, HodgeStar, you could browse by titles:
    /user/fmera/journal/2010/02
    /user/fmera/journal/2009
    /user/fmera/journal/2008

U.G.L.Y. - changing the face of music, one artist at a time.
    there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
    • HodgeStar escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 11:06
    fmera said:
    meanwhile, HodgeStar, you could browse by titles:
    /user/fmera/journal/2010/02
    /user/fmera/journal/2009
    /user/fmera/journal/2008
    ...and again, another halfhearted feature. i guess that too isn't linked anywhere. definitely, the UI needs to grow up...

• maz35 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 11:59
    Another one, Bring back some widgets. Not the playable radio ones which I understand could be costly but things like the old album/artist quilt. An upgrade allowing more intuitive design of the image charts would be nice too. People seeing your charts round the web must surely drive traffic to the site. I've been asked about "how did you get that music chart" a few times on other forums.

• Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 24 Mar 2010, 15:04
    Probably I should get my head round Playdar, but something on the site that scrobbles tracks played when I listen to music via online newspapers and music mags. (as I said here)

• percy74 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 16:45

Friends Pages / Neighbourhood Pages

electrophile888 said:
    A "Friends Loved Tracks" radio station would be supercool!

Would definitely love this. Taking the idea a step further, it would be cool if there was a friends page that had a weekly chart and radio generated by you and your friends. Because some or all of your friends are likely to have different friends that aren't on your friends list, these pages would be unique to each user and only viewable by that user - just like the home page. Or maybe this should just appear on the home page somewhere.

It's not really a community feature per se, since the view would be a private one, but a friends chart and radio (and especially loved tracks radio) would certainly encourage music discovery and interaction with other users.

Likewise, a neighbourhood page would also be a welcome addition with the same features mentioned above.

Anyway, I'd love to see friend generated charts and radios become available.

• maz35 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 17:13

Re: Friends Pages / Neighbourhood Pages

percy74 said:
    electrophile888 said:
    A "Friends Loved Tracks" radio station would be supercool!

Would definitely love this. Taking the idea a step further, it would be cool if there was a friends page that had a weekly chart and radio generated by you and your friends. Because some or all of your friends are likely to have different friends that aren't on your friends list, these pages would be unique to each user and only viewable by that user - just like the home page. Or maybe this should just appear on the home page somewhere.

It's not really a community feature per se, since the view would be a private one, but a friends chart and radio (and especially loved tracks radio) would certainly encourage music discovery and interaction with other users.

Likewise, a neighbourhood page would also be a welcome addition with the same features mentioned above.

Anyway, I'd love to see friend generated charts and radios become available.

While that sounds nice, I'd question why you think it needs to be a hidden page? Why not let people see your friends chart?

• WichitaQ escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 17:39
    for some reason the post bodies were increased a long time ago, whereas the actual post stayed the same (hint: check the huge space next to your posts, then check the length of the actual heading). why create an extra space if there is no use of it? useless, if you ask me.

if you want more people on the forums, how about making them more viewable, like you obviously originally intended? -.-

also, "hiding the recent activity from myself" option would be golden.

and apparently, finding friends and the epic "coming soon" is not even necessary to mention -.-

• akrde escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Mar 2010, 18:52
    I don't think that it was a good idea to make this thread a Read First thread.

Many people (me included) tend to ignore Read First threads because they are always the same for long time.

But discussing New Community Features without the community is a bit counterproductive, isn't it?

The same goes for the New Subscription Features thread...

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.