Foro » Feedback and Ideas

For subscribers: Jan 2010 homepage beta

• flaneur escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 28 Ene 2010, 16:46

For subscribers: Jan 2010 homepage beta

Greetings subcribers!

We've just launched a January 2010 homepage beta and we'd love your feedback. You can try it here; there's also a link that lets you switch back to the old version if you'd like to compare and contrast.

So, what's new?

Recommended new releases
    This oft-requested feature has finally landed. We teamed up with our friends over at Amazon MP3 to provide you with a personalised list of recommended albums from the artists in your library. If you prefer, you can also view albums you might like from artists you haven't heard yet.

Under the hood, we're using feeds of new release data from Amazon to power the recs, and filtering out releases that are short (singles, etc) or not in the Last.fm catalogue. You can see 3 weeks of recommendations right now, along with precise release dates and details from your library. You can also subscribe to your recommendations via RSS. Amazon's feeds also includes albums which have been newly rereleased in MP3 form; these are a bit tricky to filter out but we think their inclusion may be interesting/useful to you anyway.

Screenshot (click for full-size):

Information design tweaks
    New album releases were going to be the fifth 'recommendations box' on your homepage, so we decided to take a step back and avoid box overload. While the homepage does many things, two of the most important are its private view of your Last.fm recommendations and your friends' activity. So we've made a small change that groups homepage content accordingly, with all the recs in the center column and your friends' stuff on the right.

Screenshot (click for full-size):

We've love to hear specific feedback on the new releases feature, as well as any bugs you may spot (there will be some!) or general thoughts you have about your homepage.

Try it out, explore it a bit, then let us know what you think by posting in this thread. Based on your feedback we hope to make this update available to all Last.fm users soon.

Have fun,

– Team Last.fm

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 16:52
    Thank you, it was good. Now if you could tell me what my friends were thinking that would be awesome. However, I guess, that would be pushing it so, for now, this is great. Thanks! :)

• Much more better than the old homepage. The release dates are sometimes wrong, a few albums are already since years in stores. Anyway, good work! Thank you.

• Looking good so far :)

The first thing I noticed though: Is the order of "new albums" from artists in my library supposed to be after times scrobbled?
    Because my #1 recommendation is David Bowie (60 plays) in front of Tocotronic (84) plays

• nova77LF escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 28 Ene 2010, 16:58
    Please note that the data used for recommended albums is going to be subject to several changes in the next few weeks.

If you were taught that elves caused rain, every time it rained, you'd see the proof of elves.
    • Death_CZ escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 17:06
    Perfect feature, that was really what I needed because I used another application for new album releases. Thanks!

But I hope that you will do it more accurate, so release dates will be the real ones, not dates of adding by labels/artists. Anyway great step forward!

Edit: Layout is ok for me.

Impares nascimur, pares morimur.
    • conspora escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 17:17

:P

cool stuff, thanks!

• dankine escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 17:29
    nova77LF said:
    Please note that the data used for recommended albums is going to be subject to several changes in the next few weeks.

can you tell us anymore?

loving the new homepage. rec releases are a great addition, have yet to double check quite how 'good' they are. do they have any stipulation on min listens? recent listens? i kinda assume this kinda thing is what you meant in your post...

oh and could you explain the difference between rec's from artists in your library or the ones by last.fm?

• percy74 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 17:33
    Wow, you just got me to switch from starting at my profile page to the homepage.

The new release updates are great, and I especially enjoy the "Albums I Might Like" section - so glad you included that. Great work!

• acreature escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 28 Ene 2010, 17:41
    dankine said:
    oh and could you explain the difference between rec's from artists in your library or the ones by last.fm?

The recommended albums are recent releases by artists in your recommendations.

• dankine escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 17:42
    cheers :)

• Me too and me also, times 4 :)

Been browsing already and found some albums, I wanted to get and also add to my Library.

What can I say, this is all just wonderful! Smart looking layout too!

Thank you LFM staff!

• rg_gapa escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 17:49
    'new album releases' is just gr8. Now last.fm informs me about new albums of my favourite bands!

• Cudowne chyba zaraz umrę ze szczęścia.

• franfer escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 17:58

recommended new releases

nice one... although that is bad for my credit card!!!!

• Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 18:04
    i cant see my profile page and i don´t know if its related to the changes....
    but despite this, i like the new look.....

i hope it works soon

• Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 18:06
    Lovely stuff. Here's all I can find:

On the right-hand side of the new releases page, if I click the "(xx plays)" link, it just takes me to my library homepage. Would be much preferable (and consistent with elsewhere) if it took me to the page for this artist in my library.

Distinguishing between singles and albums would be brilliant too - although I guess this still remains impossible on Last.fm, is it not possible for you to grab this information from Amazon when you get the release dates?

The RSS feed contains "future" releases (e.g. when I subscribe to my RSS, it offers up One Night Stand with a release date of 1 February), but "future" releases are not displayed on the Last.fm page. Can this be standardized? (Personally, I would favour the ability to see future releases on the New Releases page too.)

This isn't specifically new, but now seems a good time to fix it...! Event Recommendations are still showing events which are far too far away, e.g. I'm in Cambridge and my recommendations are full of London events. On the Advanced Search of the main Events page, we have the option to filter by distance, but we can't filter by distance on the Event Recommendations page. I want to be able to filter by event recommendations within x miles. Pleeeeease!

• Solyuki escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 18:09
    Very neat and easier to manage!

Pirating is crime, do not steal boats!
  • * Now I see two times a link to 'Friend Requests' and Inbox. It would be nice to have a link to my 'Library and 'Shoutbox' instead.

* New album recommendations are nice. Though, I would rather see the recommendations from friends and groups back. They helped most in exploring 'new' music.

~ Arwensmusic ~
    • P5tR escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 18:18

Great!

Thanks!

• LucasHxC escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 18:20
    Nice! Keep improving... :D

• m-karpov escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 18:21
    * I'd prefer the old version of Event box. First of all, I use Last.fm as a database of events ner my home and one event less visible in homepage is a serious drawback. Moreover it was always nice to see some kind of picture "advertising" the event. ;). Please, think about it.

• Cleptomanics said:
    Much more better than the old homepage. The release dates are sometimes wrong, a few albums are already since years in stores. Anyway, good work! Thank you.
    Yeah, that's all that i would say too, but i guess its based on amazon's info :-)

• Nice work guys!

• yopizza escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Ene 2010, 18:30

Getting.. there?

But you can't please everybody on the order of the sections until you make them draggale. Personnaly, I'm interested in events and I don't really care what's new to my library. Free downloads deserve a bette place for me too.
    I think putting a fixed width to the home is not a good thing. I like it better without, the width restrictions of the page are doing a much more scalable job and it looks better (on mine at least)
    The gray background on the content with a gray background for the page is not readable. It looks like a mistake! You should use lightgray instead.

I have a lot more to say but all in all I like the direction it's going.

Now for the bugs:
    * The switch back button (to old design) doesn't seem to work once new home activated.
    * Another bug I hate is how the calendar does not work at all on the events browsing. At least on FF.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.