Foro » Feedback and Ideas

Better randomization implemented?

• akrde escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 14 Oct 2009, 19:23
    nova77LF said:
    I started the test with the new fix on personal tag radio too. Ping me if you want to know if you're in the testing group. :-)

Ping...

• nova77LF escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 14 Oct 2009, 22:31
    @akrde: new one! :-)

Everybody: please note that the group selection is totally random. We love all our users, but we also need to test stuff!

If you were taught that elves caused rain, every time it rained, you'd see the proof of elves.
    • Babs_05 escribió...
    • Moderador
    • 15 Oct 2009, 2:28
    Ping...

I'm between computers but I'm not totally absent. (fingers crossed, touch wood)

• nova77LF escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 15 Oct 2009, 16:51
    @Babs: old one, sorry. :)

If you were taught that elves caused rain, every time it rained, you'd see the proof of elves.
    • Tecfan escribió...
    • Event Moderator
    • 15 Oct 2009, 18:46
    ping!

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • akrde escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 Oct 2009, 18:55
    nova77LF said:
    @akrde: new one! :-)

Cool! :-)

Just one question: When listening my personal tag radios with the iPhone app, is it the new one too or the old one?

• nova77LF escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 15 Oct 2009, 20:48
    @Tecfan: old, sorry.

@akrde: should be the new one.

• maz35 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 Oct 2009, 21:03
    ping pong!

• By ear I'm guessing I'm in the old group, am I right sir?

• snyde1 escribió...
    • Suscriptor
    • 16 Oct 2009, 0:22
    Norman, which am I in?

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • nova77LF escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 16 Oct 2009, 10:18
    @Maz35: old
    @dianashamilton: new.. :p Which station have you tried?
    @snyde1: old

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Oct 2009, 11:00
    OK, curiosity got the better of me... which group am I in?

• nova77LF escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 16 Oct 2009, 11:24
    @StudleyUK: new one.

Everybody: please remember this is not (yet) a big change for the algorithm. Most of you will only notice it for very small stations.

As usual, any feedback is warmly welcomed. :-)

• nova77LF said:
    @dianashamilton: new.. :p Which station have you tried?

I was test-playing my Library and heard mostly things I had just recently played or tagged over the last few weeks. But now I just realized: If the problem you're solving is *per-session* repeats, I had none of that!

• nova77LF escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 16 Oct 2009, 11:55
    @dianashamilton: yeah, that's precisely what the fix was for. The issue with playing recent stuff in library is well known, and believe me when I say that I hate it too. The problem is we seem to be in the minority here: people love to hear stuff they found out recently (plus a bit of history) a lot.

Good news is that this is going to be a parameter you can change.

• dankine escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Oct 2009, 12:11
    nova77LF said:

you guys are great \o/

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • maz35 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Oct 2009, 13:23
    nova77LF said:

I can't express how great it is to hear we'll be able to do that :D

• I had noticed my library playing a larger amount of artists/tracks with about (1 play). So, I figured I was in the new group there. Now I've noticed plenty of repeats per session with my playlist (80 tracks with some non-streamable). So, I figure I'm in the old group in the playlist test.

Am I correct in thinking that one could be in the old group for one of the tests, and in the new group for the other test? (And PING, which am I in?)

nova77LF said:
    Seriously? Wow! That sounds great!

The problem is we seem to be in the minority here: people love to hear stuff they found out recently (plus a bit of history) a lot. I have been one of those wanting more variety of tracks played. I also like it when artists/tracks get played the same day I added them. (I'm not sure that I've noticed the new ones tending to really play a lot or excessively.)

I'm hoping this new "parameter you can change" feature can be quickly/easily accessed for changing often, rather than only being in the Settings section of the website. (Either way, it would still be good to have.)

• Usuario
    • 18 Oct 2009, 19:35
    Initial findings: terrible :(

After throwing on my playlist, it took only 11 tracks for the first repetition to appear - that's only 25% of the playlist streamed before it starts to throw in repetitions.

And it was even worse than that - scrobbling had stopped working on the 10th track (Out of Time), I don't know if that's just a coincidence that scrobbling broke on the track before the repetition, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

So, to avoid non-scrobbling, I restarted my browser - and now my playlist won't even play. The radio player just sits there with the animated last.fm loading graphic; no errors, but it doesn't load either.

Subscription renewal this week is not looking likely :( I'm already paying a Spotify subscription (offline listening + stable iPod app = good times) and don't feel that I'm getting much for my money over here any more :(

• Usuario
    • 18 Oct 2009, 19:54
    Managed to get the station to play again, but within 2 songs I hit the "no more content" error. There were 19 streamable songs - nearly 50% of the playlist - which were not played.

If it's any use, here are the songs which are listed as "streamable", but didn't play:
    Lee Dorsey - Give it Up
    Brand New - At The Bottom
    Air - Sing Sang Sung
    THEMYOUTH - Halo
    Air - So Light Is Her Footfall
    Bloc Party - One More Chance
    Calvin Harris - Stars Come Out
    Leonard Nimoy - If I Had a Hammer (The Hammer Song)
    The Airborne Toxic Event - Gasonline
    Brand New - Sink
    The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell
    Matt Nathanson - New Coats and New Hats
    z3r0C00L - Disappointment
    Lisa Hannigan - Lille
    Bloc Party - Two More Years
    Bloodhound Gang - Ralph Wiggum
    Wojahn Bros - Oh No You Didn't (Mercenaries 2 Anthem)
    Eagles of Death Metal - Whorehoppin' (Shit Goddamn, I'm a Man?)
    Har Mar Superstar - Save the Strip

...Is this another classic case of songs which are only streamable in certain circumstances?

Needless to say, listening to playlists continues to be far too complex and frustrating than it should be.

• StudleyUK said:
    Managed to get the station to play again, but within 2 songs I hit the "no more content" error. There were 19 streamable songs - nearly 50% of the playlist - which were not played.
    . . .
    Is this another classic case of songs which are only streamable in certain circumstances?
    This is why it would be extremely helpful to know, specifically, if certain songs are disallowed from streaming in playlists, personal tag stations, etc.

It's pretty impossible to address the problem on your own -- via selecting only appropriately streamable tracks -- unless you know whether or not that rule exists up front.

Would be even better to be able to identify where tracks can and can't stream.

• akrde escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 25 Oct 2009, 15:18
    @nova77LF:

Listened to one of my personal tag stations recently and it was played very well in my point of view.

I have a question: Is the new algorithm activated for my personal tag stations and playlists only, or for my loved tracks station and my library station too? What about other users personal tag stations, playlists, and so on? Am i activated with the new algorithm for these stations too?

• Wilwa escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 25 Oct 2009, 15:51
    nova77LF said:

Awesome! :D

Oh and ping.

• Usuario
    • 26 Oct 2009, 22:37
    StudleyUK said:
    ...Is this another classic case of songs which are only streamable in certain circumstances?
    As long as your playlist does not consist of at least 45 streamable tracks by more than 15 different artists you are going to experience these problems. There are restrictions as to how frequently tracks by one artist may be played. In that context it may even be of importance what music you listened to before starting playback of the playlist.

It is impossible, though, to tell how many streamable tracks are in your playlist. There are a lot of streamable tracks that don't come with a play icon.

StudleyUK said:
    Needless to say, listening to playlists continues to be far too complex and frustrating than it should be.
    Very true. There are even differences between clients.

• rubiera escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 5 Nov 2009, 9:52

Worse again now?

I have a sneeking suspicion that the last site update (or something else) has reset randomization to the old way. After enjoying good randomization on playlists for a few weeks (almost all songs got played), now I'm back to the annoying shit that less than half of the playlist are repeated constantly. For licencing reasons this must surely also be a problem. Some artist are played extremly frequently this way...

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.