Foro » Web Site Support

What makes someone a top listener?

• What makes someone a top listener?

What makes someone a top listener for a certain band or something, because I noticed it changes with some bands or it is very unlogical.

• Hello,

can you give an example?
    I would think it's the amount of plays you have for that certain artist (perhaps also in a certain amount of time)

Perhaps some server (cache) troubles cause this, are the cases you mention permanent ?

Member of the Musicology group. I appreciate feedback to my releases.

• Well a friend of mine has listened to a certain band 500 times or more, while the top listeners of this week only listened 100 times or less to it. So that's why I don't completely understand.

• Tweetless escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 May 2011, 15:39
    I think it's the amount of times a listener has scrobbled an artist, as opposed to the listener with the most overall plays.

I don't think imported play counts from external media players count towards the top listener spot.

• I guess without specifics or a much further range of sample collection not much one can do more here

except staff looks into this + it's now Friday :-(

• Erkan-Yilmaz said:
    I guess without specifics or a much further range of sample collection not much one can do more here

except staff looks into this + it's now Friday :-(

Correction, It's now Friday the 13TH whoaaahahahahaahaahaha

(sounds creepier once that pesky sun has set)

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
  • The Top Listeners only refer to a specific timeframe (I think one week), so only the scrobbles during that time are counted...
    And probably not only them - these algorithms tend to be a tad on the complex side. I don't know any specifics though ;)

• E-Clect-Eddy: Correction, It's now Friday the 13TH whoaaahahahahaahaahaha

(sounds creepier once that pesky sun has set)

haha :-)

• rwitte escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 May 2011, 16:34
    bengt_bangt said:
    these algorithms tend to be a tad on the complex side. I don't know any specifics though ;)

The algorithm involves what percentage of a users recent listens are for an artist as well as what percentage of an artists recent listens were by the user. If it looks like users are trying to compete for who can be top listener for a particular artist, staff will adjust the algorithms to foil the competition.

• DSwobod escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 May 2011, 16:55
    bengt_bangt wrote:
    The Top Listeners only refer to a specific timeframe (I think one week), so only the scrobbles during that time are counted...
    As far as my experience with bands with only a few listeners goes, this specific timeframe is the week of the last weekly charts. So Sunday 12:00h UT until Sunday 12:00h UT, and the updates appear on the artist and album pages around Tuesday or Wednesday after or with the chart updates.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.