Foro » Web Site Support

Missing album art

• obewan2 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 26 May 2012, 1:57

Missing album art

Only 1/2 my album art shows now. It has always worked before but now I am missing pictures for at least 1/2 my CD's. And my profile picture changed too. Have they cut my content to speed up their website or is this a bug?

• obewan2 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 26 May 2012, 11:37

Is it copyright related?

I seem to recall something posted in the guidelines about copyright releases for album art.

I got all my art at free online sites by searching databases for pictures that can be downloaded for free use. Like the Mircosoft images site has thousands of free images to use.

Well, if it does not have a copyright release tag attached does that mean it won't display at Last FM? Maybe I got in under the radar under the first post and they are blocking now?

I try asking through IT help tags and they never answer. I tried re-posting my albums (new upload) and that has not worked so far. I am a frustrated perfectionist and what annoys me the most is that it worked before but now now. LOL

• obewan2 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 26 May 2012, 11:50

I fixed it.

It was a simple fix. Instead of just save changes I tried change album art and reloaded the images. Now it works again. But the old image file was in there. Somehow the link got broken. It must have been a computer brain fart or something.

• In this case, it may have just been a system glitch

Free to use artworks fall under the creative commons guidelines, but this in no way means, you can use the artworks in "for profit" ventures, such as selling music albums. They are still copyrighted to their creator, even though they may not specify this at the image address. Even If you are not selling the music anywhere, this would be risky and confusing, so to be safe, the artwork may be blocked at some websites.

Getting copy permissions from the artist, is a better way to go and even better, would be to hire a licensed digital artist, who can then give you full copyrights - this way the image will belong to you alone and be seen nowhere else, without your own permission.

I did not find your music for sale anywhere, but would be better safe than sorry Steven.

• obewan2 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 26 May 2012, 14:15

My music is not for sale.

Correct. My music is not for sale. It is posted as an experiment and to promote my real career as an engineer which is liked to this site through LinkedIn,com.

My music is a hobby only. I investigated selling it and there is too much red tape with our local authorities about paying taxes to have a home business etc.. I would be taxed on all my studio equipment - digital piano, 5 synths, and three computers and two gutars. Taxed every year whether or not I ever sell anything at all. It is crazy. And, I can't even get people to download my music for free let alone buy it.

My music is copyrighted though.

I did not find any restrictions whatsoever at the Microsoft site. They allow their stuff to be freely used for corporate presentations etc...

I will revisit their site to see if any limitations apply.

If I do decide to sell custom images may be in order but for now I can not afford to make the investment,

• Still thinking the media you used hit a glitch and was not removed by LastFM

That seems to be very strange taxing in Florida. Your studio shouldn't fall under home business tax, unless you rent the studio or make profit from a third party(customers other than yourself).

By the way, many of your tracks are set to stream direct from artist, at LastFM, but they do not work.

Microsoft artworks? I am aware, their terms are not very clear and are very confusing.

I am taking a stab in the dark myself here Steven, but here is what I found out, along with the very same images you have on many albums you uploaded here at lastFM

You need a licensed media software, such as Powerpoint or Microsoft office, which gives you permission to use the artworks.

Here is a list of some software sellers that require a license for medial and content uses:

Microsoft office Live
    AudioMicro
    Fotolia
    iCLIPART
    iStockphoto
    NVTOfficeClips
    PresentationPro
    Animation Factory

Section 17. Office.com and Office Web App media elements and templates(This is where your album art came from)

If you use Microsoft Office.com or the Microsoft Office Web Apps, you may have access to media images, clip art, animations, sounds, music, video clips, templates, and other forms of content ("media elements") provided with the software available on Office.com or as part of a service associated with the software. You may copy and use the media elements in projects and documents. You may not: (i) sell, license, or distribute copies of the media elements by themselves or as a product if the primary value of the product is the media elements; (ii) grant your customers rights to further license or distribute the media elements; (iii) license or distribute for commercial purposes media elements that include the representation of identifiable individuals, governments, logos, trademarks, or emblems or use these types of images in ways that could imply an endorsement or association with your product, entity or activity; or (iv) create obscene works using the media elements. For more information, see the Use of Microsoft Copyrighted Content webpage (http://www.microsoft.com/permission).

This basically means, you can use the art for demonstration for selling something else to private customers, for examples, or presentations in private or business settings, but cannot display it in public places, such as the web, as an album cover.

Clip Art and Sample Art
    The End-User License Terms that accompany your software describe the permitted commercial uses of images, clip art, animations, sounds, music, shapes, video clips, and templates that accompanied the product. Find End-User License Terms for Microsoft products.

The Clip Art and Media gallery provides a compilation of artwork. See the use terms for the description of permitted uses. If those terms do not meet your needs, our Clip Art partners at Office Online provide a variety of images you can license directly.

In the absence of language to the contrary in the License Agreement, Sample Art (which includes images customarily found in the "sample" folders within Microsoft operating systems) may be used for personal use only. You may not sell, lease, or distribute Sample Art, or any materials you create that use Sample images, for any commercial purposes.

• obewan2 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 26 May 2012, 20:34

FL Home Business Tax

FL recently changed the laws for profits made from online music dowloads. If you have ANY kind of media download business it is considered a home business in FL no matter where the downloads occur or how much they cost.

So, if I try to sell my music downloads for only $0.99 I have a home business. All home businesses must be registered. You pay an annual tax. And the tax is based upon the value of equipment used. If it is a music business, you must submit an inventory of equipment which they assign a total value to for annual tax purposes which are subject to audits!

At the Microsoft image site I use their terms say Royalty Free. And I am selling nothing anyway. And, the image is not the final product.

• That tax sucks cottonballz Steven!

I figured you were okay with the art. As I copied above, as long as it's "...not for commercial purposes..."

I will send you a private message about some things ASAP.

• outrenoir escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 27 May 2012, 16:42
    it's a bug

art is on the images page but doesn't appear in its resized form in a number of places. In some cases it's replaced by a lower-ranked image, otherwise is blank. I fixed one instance by voting it up, but have run into this a couple of times since and figure it needs a more professional fix.

this thread seems to have gone way offtopic though. I know Crybkeeper's trying to be helpful but I don't know what he's on about

• That's why I said I would PM him ;-)

Album art should be .pngs, squared - this insures they will show up in all areas and all resizing.

I have found many of Stevens artworks and they are .jpgs and not square - this is why they show up some places but not when resized in other places.

JPGs cannot hold their resolution when resized. I am also a graphic artist.
    For example, this one will never work on LastFM:

Format: JPG
    Dimensions:1280 (w) x 882 (h)
    Resolution:72 dpi
    File size:212 KB

• outrenoir escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 May 2012, 6:50
    unsquare jpegs have always worked fine; Lastfm just makes a square(-ish) image for display out of them, they've always displayed ok at all size variations before today
    is how it looks on his album page

pngs are just preferred by people because the images are higher-quality and retain better when resized (like you said), though in most cases you can't tell the difference at the sizes they're displayed at.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    If a staff drops in on this post - there is a genuine problem with images, I've gone offtopic now -_-'

• On no, there may be a display issue, which is actually right on topic outrenoir. Staff or mods could confirm maybe? I do know our twelves bands have no issues, even now and we insure their images are squared and pngs or vectors.

Actually, I can tell the difference in jpgs and pngs, when thumbnailed.

• I think userserve fixed itself (/was fixed by a pro) after I posted (it went all not-working-at-all-so-hopefully-resetting for a while), I haven't noticed this since.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.